Mississippi and Great Lakes cruises

A few years ago I tried to find cruises for a family reunion in the midwest. The Mississippi River and The Great Lakes would be beutiful for late spring, summer and early fall cruises. I was surprised that there were so few and that the ones I did find were much more expensive than the ocean cruises. My mother says that in the late forties she went on on several, they were reasonably priced and "loads of fun". With gas and transportation prices so high I wonder that they don't make a comeback.

The last of the Great Lakes passenger fleet were the Canada Steamship Lines St. Lawrence boats. They lasted a couple of years longer than did the Chicago, Duluth and Georgian Bay Steamship Co. The Georgian Bay Line ran the only cruise like service on the Lakes. The usual itinerary was Chicago to Duluth with stops at Mackinac Island, the Soo, and one other port. The boats were the identical North American and South American. The North sank under tow to Baltimore to become a barracks for the Seafarer's Union school. The South rotted away in New Jersey for many years before being scrapped. All the Great Lakes passenger vessels had wooden superstructures and main deck which condemned them to scrap when the newer SOLAS rule went into effect in the early 60s.

Doc

Archived