Huaraches sources?

smileycruiser2007

My mother and i are going to the Mexican Riviera (Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, Loreto, La Paz) and we would like to buy some huaraches. Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy them and any tips on selection and wearing? We'd appreciate your help!

OK ... It's a traditional Mexican shoe with woven leather tops and soles made out of old tires. I can't say I have ever seen them. I can't say I've seen any stands in the markets that specialize in huaraches. They might sell them in the various shoe stores in downtown Puerto Vallarta. One important thing you should know when shopping for specific items in Mexico is the cost and availability back home. Here is one web site that sells "traditional" huaraches. http://www.travelsmith.com/mercadoSearch.do?action=search&newSearch=true&freeText=Huaraches+&Search.x=7&Search.y=13

Good luck in your search.

Enjoy!

I've posted your question on a local board in Vallarta. The site adminstrator has responded with ...

"I've seen them being made in lots of places here. I'll keep my eyes open for the exact locations."

When I find out, I'll let you know.

MSN Travelers, you are so gifted to not only think of that but be able to do it. It is a lot of fun to shop in Mexico because I enjoy practicing Spanish. Everyone has been a good sport about helping me out when I can't think of a word, and it makes things friendly and fun.

MSN Travelers, you are so gifted to not only think of that but be able to do it. It is a lot of fun to shop in Mexico because I enjoy practicing Spanish. Everyone has been a good sport about helping me out when I can't think of a word, and it makes things friendly and fun.

Reference this map of the downtown shopping district (el Centro). Find Cafe Roma at the bottom of the map as it is the starting point for the directions I was given. The shop is located on the next map below this map- http://www.vallarta-info.com/downtown.html just across the bridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Shopping for Huaraches

icon_post_target.gifby yasky on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:43 pm

If you cross the bridge to the south side from Cafe Roma there is a wonderful shop on your left.

IL Vallarta just before A. Serdan.

I have bought a few pairs there. If they dont have it they will make it for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were several additional endorsements for this recommendation from others on the Vallarta Scene Forum.

Speaking of endorsments ... Cafe Roma is a great place to stop, rest, have a very reasonably priced beverage and a pizza (or something else Italian). http://www.romamexico.com/ Buy a beverage and access the internet, buy a pizza and get to use the phone for a free call back to the States or Canada. You can find us in the November 2006 photo gallery, second page, photo "dscn3587"

Enjoy!

:) Thanks, Paul and Marilyn. The huarache quest is becoming lots of fun now that you and a vallarta internet board member have helped me. When i wear them I can think of your help and what an incredible resource we have with Cruise Critic. I think PV will be our first port call and I'm headed to "Il Vallarta".:)

Archived