Med Cruise + CC AC Perks/Balcony Use??

HollyK

We're planning a Med cruise for Early Sep '09 for 11 days including 2 sea days. As well, we are planning both pre and post cruise land travel. With the port intensity & sightseeing, I'm wondering how much time one really has on the ship to avail themselves of the perks of AC (particularly) or CC? Are you so tired when you get back from port touring you just want a nap? Is the weather cool enuf that you don't much use the balcony? If you had to do it again, and your not richer than Midas, what type cabin would you choose?

I'm thinking I'd never make it to the Spa (or maybe once so I might as well pay for it). Early embark/debark is of no importance. I don't do Shorex so that is of no matter. I can buy my own flowers I'm sure. I wouldn't want to dine at Aqua every nite anyway. Given the Euro vis a vis the $, I don't want to spend money foolishly so I'll appreciate hearing your experiences, particularly where it concerns the Med in September.

Thanks so much,

We did a Med Cruise, Barcelona to Venice, that started around September 10 last year. The weather was spectacular. Fairly warm in most ports - definitely shorts and short sleeve weather - but not so broiling hot that we were uncomfortable in those ports we needed to wear long pants (such as going to the Vatican or Cathedrals and other churches).

Personally, we really enjoyed having our balcony. We always had room service on morning when we had an early start, and the balcony was always nicer than in the room. We also liked to go out and look around from time to time when we're in the cabin. The amenities are nice but it is hard to say if they are worth a lot. On some of the ships (M-class) the CC rooms are larger, on most of the others they are the same size (I think). The CC rooms also tend to have nicer locations for the most part.

The value of a room upgrade is always a subjective thing. Some people have think that anything other than the cheapest inside room is a big waste, and others wouldn't consider anything less than a suite. One really has to decide for themselves depending on the cost differences and their own finances. Add to that the fact that the price differences are small on some cruises and huge on others, and it becomes even more confusing. My advice is that if the cost difference is such that it either puts a hardship on you, or prevents you from spending more on excursions or even the bars on the ship, then don't bother with the upgrade. But if it doesn't make much of a difference what you'd otherwise do on the cruise or be able to afford otherwise, then take the nicer cabin.

We have done a number of Med cruises in Sept and October, weather is great, not too hot but still warm enough to enjoy the balcony.

Whether a balcony is worth it depends on how much time you really plan to spend in port or on your balcony.

We enjoy the ports but generally don't spend more than 1/2 day in port, unless we book a tour and the only tours are full day that we are interested in, otherwise we tend to come back to the ship early afternoon -- have lunch on our balcony and take a late afternoon nap.

We could do a Med cruise without a balcony but if the price difference is not too much we always prefer a balcony. We often enjoy being on the balcony while coming and going from a port.

We were in the Med in Nov...mid to late Nov. and the weather was STILL warm enough for us to have coffee on our balcony...our 1st balcony...every morn, and the weather stayed clear also...onshore it was perfect temp. we went to Cairo and had a great tour...(our main tourists were Egyptian school children!!! They wanted to show us how they could speak English...always saying hi..Hello!)It was warm and sunny..not at all hot, and Ephesus was perfect...few tourists and moderate temp also. We expected much cooler...it finally got cool our last day...in Istanbul. 40-50o, otherwise mid 70's The balcony is great at 70o!

We had a CC balcony for our 12 day Millennium Med cruise in late September (with 2 sea days) and felt that the balcony was definitely worth the extra cost. With Med ports being so busy, it was nice to enjoy some solitude on the balcony in the evenings and on the sea days. We love to see, hear and smell the ocean... and whether we were out there for an hour or two, or just going out to have a quick look around, it really enhanced our cruise.

But I agree with others that if spending the extra money on a balcony is going to mean compromises in other areas that you'll get more enjoyment from, then it might not be worth it.

We had a CC balcony on our Med. trip last Nov-Dec. and thoroughly enjoyed it! The weather was spectacular and it made our coffee in the morning and our drinks at night even better. The b'fast menu is superb(esp. the french toast thingies with the marmalade butter-yum!!).

We don't cruise a lot(maybe once every yr. and a half),so this is our treat to ourselves. If we travelled more frequently, I doubt I would travel CC, although it would have to be balcony all the way.

We're booked on the Equinox in Mar/2010 and the price comparison between CC and the Aqua Spa cabins is only 100 dollars! Just if anyone is interested!

All the best, Shelly :)

Archived