Solo Cruising

VicGuy

Hi,

Considering doing a cruise solo on the Dawn or Sun. Went on a cruise on the Sun a while back and had a blast. Especially spending hours on end on a deck lounger with a book and only getting up to get a cocktail.

Has anyone done a cruise solo or has any advice???

VicGuy:rolleyes:

I do them quite often.

it is what you make of it. Join in with things like trivia...if you see a group of two or three, ask if you can join in. Makes a great ice breaker.

Get to know the people at your dinner table.

Afternoon tea time is great for chatting to new people too.

the ships usually have a 'singles' meet and mix, so get involved!!

Most of all, just relax and have fun.:)

Hi,

I have never been on a cruise before but have booked solo for PD Tropical Fusion 23 Sept, it is my big birthday present for myself and am looking foward to exactly what you described, relaxing and not having to worry about what someone else wants to do all the time. My vow is to be brave and do what I want, rather than trying to keep everyone else happy!!! Wish me luck! Seriously though I am very quiet but have always wanted to go on a cruise and have actually decided that compared to lots of other holiday options it migh be a good idea for a solo, no worrying about finding way around a new place, safety or always being the designated driver etc.

cheers

Hi,

relaxing and not having to worry about what someone else wants to do all the time. My vow is to be brave and do what I want, rather than trying to keep everyone else happy!!! Wish me luck! Seriously though I am very quiet but have always wanted to go on a cruise and have actually decided that compared to lots of other holiday options it migh be a good idea for a solo, no worrying about finding way around a new place, safety or always being the designated driver etc.

cheers

You pretty well summed up the reasons I decided to cruise as my first solo holiday cavaliergirl.

I am booked on Rhapsody of the seas cruise in October and I can't wait to just be able to relax, read, have a drink or 3 and basically do what I want, when I want. The biggest bonus is no mobile phone access, so not being able to be contacted on work related issues will be absolute bliss!!

I picked up a few good tips on the solo traveller forum in regards to dining options etc.

Have a great cruise

:) Cheers

I loved the loss of mobile phone reception too, Was on the top deck as we left sydney and watched the reception bars disappear on my phone and had not reception until we reached Luganville four days later. Absolute bliss. Living in the western fringe of Melbourne (have done since i've been alive) and work in the CBD. Will swap the commute on a tender for the commute on country trains anytime :) Had a ball with Trivia last time (won a couple as well) and was excited on karaoke night (had numerous people-drunk and sober) come up to me for days after. The only slip up was putting one of the coloured shot glasses in my suitcase which broke and cut my finger on island night getting ready. But still managed to collect all the colours. I will need to be very brave to got it alone but i think i need the break :)

normally, I turn my mobile off as soon as I get onboard. last year on the Star, I forgot! As we were cruising under the bridge on the Brissie River, my phone went off..."Can you come into work, we are short staffed?"

I had to explain that I was on a ship on my way to Vanuatu, and that I wasn't able to make it to work in Mornington!!!

They had even signed the leave forms!!!

it was bliss not to hear it ring...(lots of messages when I got back though)

I am off solo in three weeks...plan on doing as little as possible!!

Archived