Funny cruise "kid-isms"

CeleBrat

Ok - this story cracks me up - It doesn't quite fit but these posts reminded me of this incident...

Last Aug. my husband and I were on a cruise with our friend and her two kids. The oldest, Andrew, was a new reader and was excited to order his own meal.

So one night, He says to the waiter, “I’ll have…fruit cocktail….cheese pizza….French fries….and a cheese burger…”

The waiter is just nodding and writing - no big deal, right? The kid can have anything he wants!

So I say, “Wait a minute - Andrew - you never eat all your food - that is way too much - just pick one, the pizza or the burger, and if you are still hungry, you can order more…”

So Andrew says, “ Ok, well, I’ll have the pizza… and a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich…” At this point, we all laughed… eventually he just got the French fries, fruit and pizza.

Too cute!

Over the years my kids have come up with a few of these. I don't remember any from our cruise last year, but the best ever was how my daughter used call a Cellular Telephone a "Cellaphone".

Another one was when one of the kids thought that "Bavarian Chocolate Cake" meant that you could pig out on it... ie Eat it like a "Bavarian" (I think she meant Barbarian).

My DS (3) decided that the ship best thing because you could call on the phone and they always brought what he wanted. We were staying at a hotel a few months after the cruise and the room didn't have ketchup. DS runs to the phone and says "Don't worry, I'll call for it." I quickly explained that room service (and a Butler) wasn't a standard option in real life.

This same thing happened to us our last trip out of town. The kids were tired and my youngest said "lets just order room service". We had to explain to him that all hotels don't have room service like the ships. We also have a time getting him to just order one meal when we go out to eat. The dining room on the ship "ruined him"!

Went to take my 3 YO GS to lunch the other day and asked him where he wanted to go. He says, "want to go to the buffet". Ok, I thought, pizza lunch buffet. My DD looks at me and says, "he's referring to the buffet on Deck 16".

He wants to go back on the ship. We said, we don't know where it is. He said (cos we're stupid) "its on the water". We said, you need a ticket. He said "get a ticket". We said, but you need money, he said - "Well get money!". I fear we've created a monster. He LOVES cruising and trains. How cool was it to arrive at a port (think it was Dunedin) and stand on the balcony looking at train cars being loaded!

My three year old was "driving" the car while his dad was cleaning it a couple months ago. We had the following conversation:

Mom: Where are you driving to?

Russ: The airport.

Mom: Oh. Where are you going to go when you get there?

Russ: <with disdainful look> On an airplane.

Mom: Of course. Where's the airplane going?

Russ: To an airport.

Mom: Which airport?

Russ: The warm one.

Mom: Right. Then where are you going?

Russ: In a van.

Mom: A van to where?

Russ: To the boat.

Mom: The boat...?

Russ: With Grammy and Grampa!

We took DS and DD on a cruise when DS was four and had just finished with potty training. When we told him we were going to take a cruise he said, "Are there going to be bathrooms on the ship?"

LOL, our youngest has to visit bathrooms everywhere we go. I think he's afraid he's not going to find one for a while.:rolleyes:

I posted before about how my son was potty training and asked if the ship had bathrooms when he was 4. Now, at 6 and 7, we just told the kids that we leave in 6 days for the EOS.

They were not even excited! They said...oh...ok...great. I was like, HELLO! My son said, but we don't even remember the first one so how can we be excited. So I started to remind them of the first cruise.

I mentioned how we ordered cookies and milk ever night through room service. Both kids got all excited..."We can oder what ever we want, whenever we want???"

This has become the very most exciting part of the vacation by far. I even heard my son whisper to my DD, "when mom and dad are asleep, lets wake up at 3am and order food!"

It is all they ask about and also what they are telling everyone!

I guess we have moved on from potties to free food, delivered!

Wonder what it will be next year?:D

We just got back from our first cruise... the first night, while we were sitting in the lounge signing the kids up for Camp Carnival, my 5 year old dd looked at me and said "when does it start?" I asked her what she meant, and she said "the carnival?" All these months she's been hearing me talk about "Carnival" so she thought our trip was a carnival!

Then in Grand Cayman as my 8 year old dd looked out the back of the tender boat at the water she said "oh no mommy, the water is awful here, it's GREEN!" I explained to her that it was a GOOD green, not like swimming pool green! LOL

We are planning our first cruise with our extended family of 9 and as a work at home mom, most of the planning has fallen in my lap. I know nothing about cruising, so I now have cruiseline brochures, books about cruising, books on Alaska and of course, am constantly looking at pictures on my computer of ships, cabins, deck plans, and balconies!

So yesterday we ran out to grab some lunch and DD3 asks what we are doing after lunch. I told her we were going back home for nap time, just like we do every day. So she then asked "well when are we going on the ship?" My teenage son and I just burst out laughing. Poor little thing, always ready for an adventure, too bad the cruise is a whole year away!

Not related to cruising but one that had me in stitches the other day that some of you who do Disney might relate to:

On our way to the pool with my 3 yr old-

Me: Wait honey, I need to make sure our pool passes are in the pool bag before we go.

DD: No mommy, we don't have any Fastpasses.

Me (stifiling a laugh): Why not? Where are the fastpasses?

DD: We used them all at Disney!

I'm thinking maybe we've done too many disney trips, lol!

Archived