"Formal wear" for 7 YO boy

MamaParrotHead

We're cruising Carnival again, for our 3rd time, but this will be the first time bringing the kids. I've found some nice dresses for DD (who will be 10 when we sail) but curious as to what I need for DS. I was planning on dress pants, loafers, long sleeved dress shirt and tie. Do I really need to invest in a jacket for him? Just curious as to what other's experiences had been.

Thanks.

I bought an inexpensive jacket on ebay. I would buy him one if you intend to take him to the formal night dinner.

We are doing Europe this summer and I don't plan to take him to the formal dinners. On those nights we will do the buffet. I just decided against bringing the dress clothes because he isn't interested in "fine dining" and gets really bored at the long dinners.

The first time we cruised Carnival in 2004, our youngest wore navy pants, white dress shirt, and a bow tie. And that was before they changed the dress code from "formal" to "elegant!" No need for a jacket for younger kids, really. We ended up buying tuxes on e-Bay for later cruises - in fact, youngest just wore his tux for his First Communion.

My DS, also 7, is really, really skinny. So we haven't yet purchased a suit coat for him because nothing really fits him correctly. I usually make most of his pants too.

So--to help solve the formalwear dilemma, he will wear a shirt and tie, WITH a v-neck sweater. The sweater helps "dress" him up a little more, and, it helps disguise the fact that his shirt becomes untucked.

See how nice he looks?

CeleBrat

DSCF5712.jpg

I've always brought a jacket for DS, now 9. That said, I saw lots of boys with a dress shirt and tie.

He wears a jacket for other occasions - not sure if I would buy one just for the cruise. What I do is keep my eyes open for a blue blazer on sale in the next size up from what he's currently wearing. When I see it, I buy it, and that way it's in his closet for the time he needs a jacket and he's outgrown the current one.

Have a great cruise! :)

My DS, also 7, is really, really skinny. So we haven't yet purchased a suit coat for him because nothing really fits him correctly. I usually make most of his pants too.

So--to help solve the formalwear dilemma, he will wear a shirt and tie, WITH a v-neck sweater. The sweater helps "dress" him up a little more, and, it helps disguise the fact that his shirt becomes untucked.

See how nice he looks?

CeleBrat

DSCF5712.jpg

What a great compromise! I'm sure that there will be others who say that you simply must by a jacket for a young boy to help him learn that there are different types of clothing appropriate for different venues and activities. What I think is so nice about what your DS wears is that a dark, finely knit v-neck sweater with slacks, dress shirt, and tie teaches him the value of dressing nicely for special events, yet still allows for the fact that he is 7. As well, you've got the plus of a sweater hiding the fact that boys sometimes have a heck of a time keeping a dress shirt tucked in. (I remember that my brother had the same issue, especially because he was very slim and had no, um, backside to help keeps his pants up and his shirt tucked in properly.) I hope other parents consider something similar for sons younger than 12, which is when I think a jacket and tie, suit, or even tux should be standard. Maybe because they're in middle school by then and are starting to be more "grown up" in general.

Truth is--and I'll probably get slammed for this--my DH often wears dark slacks, same color v-neck cashmere sweater, dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes for the "smart casual nights" as well as for dining at the specialty restaurants. We just hated to pack both this formal wear, for the cruises we chose to attend formal night, and a sportcoat with dress shirts, tie, etc. With the alternative, he still looks sharp, but enjoys himself more.

Your DS is darling (oops, make that handsome; even little boys would rather be handsome than darling, I think). Even though our DD is an adult, we still enjoy seeing families all dressed up and enjoying the more elegant atmosphere on formal nights. The kids faces seem to look either proud or bored, but they all sure look nice in their dressy clothes.

beachchick

I found that both my kids (boy and girl) loved dressing up like the adults. If you can find a good deal, I say go for it. We've found some good deals at Burlington Coat Factory for boys too. My DS is now 24 and we can't even get him to wear jeans. Its dress pants or nothing. He barely even wear shorts.

MamaParrotHead -

I'd love to hear any pointers/feedback after your cruise with your DS. We are bringing our 7 year old DS on his first cruise this February and are curious what to expect across the board - dining to camp carnival to lido, etc.

*I* would take any pointers *YOU* have after your cruise, you're lucky enough to be going first. ;) Fins up!:D

Our (8 yr old) son looked very handsome in a pair of dress pants and dress shirt with a stand up silver collar that didn't need a tie. I think it was from Sears but I got it second hand from a friend whose son wore it for First Communion. He would have much preferred shorts and t-shirt but it's nice to have a family picture of everyone dressed up! Basically you can do anything from what we did to a tux and feel he is dressed up enough.

What you have is absolutely fine! The shirt and tie are good to go. My son wore a jacket but we ended up taking it off in the dining room so he would not get it dirty. The jacket is not needed for your son! Make sure you get a family pic taken when you are all dolled up!

I always get my DS his jacket from Goodwill. $3.49 and he's set. They almost always have lots to choose from and if they don't have the right size, just check back in a few weeks. I just got my older DD a designer name dress, with the $370 price tag still on it, and I paid $10 for it. Now is a great time for fancy dresses, because prom season just ended.

For formal nights, my 6YO son wore a suit jacket from Target that I got on sale after Easter. I got his dark dress pants from another outfit. His shirt/tie set was from Sears. I think JCPenney sells similar shirt/tie sets as well. The shirt/tie set was less than $15 and the jacket was about $15. $30 can be pricey, but I think boys can go without the jacket--a nice long-sleeved shirt (not the wrinkled kind) would do.

For other nights, it's polo shirt or shirts with collar, plus a pair of non-jeans pants.

I want to find my son a pair of loafers, but I haven't been successful. He wore his dark Geos sneaker (no shoestrings) with dark socks.

No one really looks at a 6YO if you ask me.

No one really looks at a 6YO if you ask me.

Are you kidding?! I love to look at the little ones all dressed up. A person just can't help smiling. They look adorable and when everyone comments to them on how nice they look it can only make them feel special. Even the teens feel that way. I know that all the teens I've traveled with have loved getting dressed up and looking great.

Are you kidding?! I love to look at the little ones all dressed up. A person just can't help smiling. They look adorable and when everyone comments to them on how nice they look it can only make them feel special. Even the teens feel that way. I know that all the teens I've traveled with have loved getting dressed up and looking great.

I agree! I think that is why my now teenaged boys don't mind dressing up. In the past, when they dresssed for formal night they received so many compliments from fellow passengers. It pointed out to them that others really do appreciate when you make the extra effort. A great life lesson to be sure!

Archived