NCL or CCL w/ 13yo

newkid662

I am planning our first cruise - 7 days, Mexico. For the dates we are interested, the prices are pretty close for NCL Star and CCL Pride with CCL being slightly higher. We are early 30s and have a 13 yr old son. These boards have been very helpful so far, and I need help with the final decision. We definitely want a balcony, and want our son to have a great time (so we can sneek in some gambling;)).

Can anyone help me out with pros and cons of these lines/ships?

I can't tell you anything about the CCL ship, but I was on the Star to Mexico in January with my daughter. She's younger than yours, but from what I saw, all of the young people on board were having a great time.

If you check out this link, there's an example of the teen activities offered on NCL:

http://community.webshots.com/album/546368115pHZSLQ

My daughter had an absolutely wonderful time. Unfortunately I can't give you any specific teen club information, but she has informed me that they had a fusball table - she loves fusball. :p

I think some of it will be the luck of the draw as well. If you get a good mix of kids his age on the ship you choose, he'll have a better time. There is no predicting that, though. If you can find a similar example of CCL's teen offerings, I would just suggest sitting down with your son and having him look at the two to see if either one looks more appealing. Also, check out anything you can regarding the teen facilities and other amenities that might appeal to him as that might make a difference also. :)

Something else to keep in mind is that whichever ship you choose, make sure he goes to the first night's activities. He may find that the organized activities are not his cup of tea, but that's the best time to meet the other kids his age on the ship. He may just find a friend to hang out with for the week doing other things. The teens have a lot more freedom than the younger kids, so they can go to the arcade or the teen club, play Wii, or hang by the pool even if they aren't interested in the organized stuff.

Archived