Not Getting Sick !

meandmyboys3

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread on here and I'm asking questions about me and my husbands 1st upcoming cruise. :D

I've read alot of good first time pointers on here but I haven't seen any about sickness. I'm so scared that I'm going to drink something or eat something on the ports (Cozumel and Cayman Islands). I've always heard "Don't drink the water in Mexico" and "be careful what you eat there also". Is there much to worry about with the restaurants there, or are there some places to stay away from? I've also read that another thing you could do while on the cruise is drink 2 teaspoons of Pepto Bismol in the morning everyday to help reduce your chances.

I would like to hear from some of you veterans. Being sick for even one day on our cruise would be horrible :(

First - Don't worry so much. A positive attitude and preventive meds can stave off illnesses. Last cruise, I tried something I usually reserve for planes...Airborne.

If you're concerned about sea sickness, there are several things you can use:

The Patch (although I had bad side effects, it works for many).

Bonine - available at any pharmacy. Take a coupla hours before the cruise and every morning of the cruise. Has worked for me many times. Some folks swear by ginger pills.

IF you get seasick, do NOT go to your cabin to lie down. Go to the frontmost part of the ship in a breezy area, and look out at the horizon, not down at the water. Should help tremendously. An old sea captain uncle of mine gave me that hint eons ago. (It's help lots of folks we've taken out on our boats over the years.)

I love the food in Mexico! On Cozumel, you can go to Pancho's Backyard and have the most delectable local cuisine...with no worries. I've eaten there many times, at both locations, and had no bad effects. They have signs posted that they used only pure distilled water for cooking and drinking...also for making their ice.

Have a wonderful cruise. Take some of the precautions I mentioned, and I'm sure others will have ideas for you, as well.:)

Welcome to CC!

I'll be going on my 10th cruise in September and I've never been sick. Neither have any family/friends I've cruised with. Except one friend felt a little seasick on the first day. I went down to the purser's and they gave me Meclazine for her. After that, she was fine.

Never been sick from eating food in Cozumel and I've eaten at several places. The water.....I'd only drink bottled. I've drank many margaritas (the ice) and never had a problem. They say the tequila will kill any bugs. Must be true since I've never been sick from them either!

I really wouldn't worry about Grand Cayman. It is a wealthy island and things are very clean and sanitary.

I've never heard of the Pepto thing, but it couldn't hurt. There are several OTC meds I bring with me but the only thing I've used is Alka-Seltzer. Something about the ship's food that starts jacking with me mid-cruise. I think it's richer than I'm used to.

Have a great cruise!!!

The Public Health always warns against things like Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B in countries that do not have the same sanitary standards as we do. That is why you really need to be sure that your tattoo artist and that anyone doing manicures and pedicures is using sterile equipment

We got our Twinrex shots (also in Health care so its a good idea anyway) but the complete course is over 6 months.

There is a new one now for "Travellers Diarrhea" called Dukoral. Works within one week of getting it.

http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news/8525697700573E1885256D250061888B

This is a Canadian information site for it

When I called about cruising, they said that because we were there such a short time other things were not a big concern (malaria etc) but to be careful about where you eat, drink and who you are engaging in intimate activities with.

Cayman is perfectly fine. That island is one of the wealthiest places in the world...they have all the latest in sanitization and water purification.

Cozumel is also safe. If you were asking about mainland Mexico, it would be a different story. Wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer when ashore. Enjoy the food and drink......

The only thing I avoid is buying any food products or liquids from street vendors...but the restaurants are fine.

Never been sick from eating or drinking anything in Cozumel and have been there several times. Take Bonine for motion sickness. I have severe motion sickness but since learning about Bonine I don't have to worry anymore and can enjoy my water excursions and flying with no worries!

First - Don't worry so much. A positive attitude and preventive meds can stave off illnesses. Last cruise, I tried something I usually reserve for planes...Airborne.

If you're concerned about sea sickness, there are several things you can use:

The Patch (although I had bad side effects, it works for many).

Bonine - available at any pharmacy. Take a coupla hours before the cruise and every morning of the cruise. Has worked for me many times. Some folks swear by ginger pills.

IF you get seasick, do NOT go to your cabin to lie down. Go to the frontmost part of the ship in a breezy area, and look out at the horizon, not down at the water. Should help tremendously. An old sea captain uncle of mine gave me that hint eons ago. (It's help lots of folks we've taken out on our boats over the years.)

I love the food in Mexico! On Cozumel, you can go to Pancho's Backyard and have the most delectable local cuisine...with no worries. I've eaten there many times, at both locations, and had no bad effects. They have signs posted that they used only pure distilled water for cooking and drinking...also for making their ice.

Have a wonderful cruise. Take some of the precautions I mentioned, and I'm sure others will have ideas for you, as well.:)

One does not need to go all the way to the front. Simply by looking out the window into the horizon will suffice.

I've been on a couple of cruises where the Noro Virus affected a large number of people. Not pretty! My family takes hand washing very seriously. We are also careful about touching handrails and such on the way to the dining room. Keep your hands away from your mouth and eyes. Even with precautions, I was very sick on one cruise. Now I ask my family doctor for a prescription before I leave home. It's an anti-nausea medication that really does the trick. He also gives me an antibiotic. Anything that you have to get from the doctor on-board can be very expensive.

On shore, we continue the hand washing, and I noticed on our latest cruise (just returned last week) many many passengers carried bottles of hand sanitizers. We also only drink from sealed cans and bottles. Avoid anything that is mixed with water, such as tea. If you are really sensitive to such things, I would suggest that you take the ship tours that include a meal. In the case of Princess, they use the same resturants over and over, so they know if any passengers have become sick from the food and never use that resturant again. I know that the ship tours can be more expensive, but when we are traveling in a country that we think sanitation may be questionable, it's worth the extra cost.

I've only ever been sick one time and that was a common cold I caught the 2nd day....which was gone by the 5th day.

As far as sea sickness none of our family or anyone we traveled with ever got sea sick. We have had some rough seas at times too. I always tell people to get the transdermal bonine patches and take with them just in case. They are non-drowsy and should work well. I do like the one poster who said to go to the front of the ship, in a breeze and look at the horizon. We've been on fishing trips where the seas were very rough and looking out at the horizon either front or back of the ship always helpes the sick ones.

As far as eating or drinking on the islands....well...I personally would not do it. I know many people who have eaten or had something to drink and never got sick at all. I will not take the chance.

I always drink bottled water and wait until I get back to the ship to grab a bite to eat. I have eaten in Grand Caymen, St Maarten and St Thomas but never in anything in Mexico.

Again, this is just me. You may very well be okay if you do what some of the posts say, just be cautious.

The most important thing is do not worry about it but be aware of it and have a great cruise.

If you are really worried about eating/drinking ashore and getting sick, these are some general guidelines:

1. Don't drink anything with ice. Drink straight from the bottle or can. Also, frozen drinks are made with ice, don't forget!

2. Don't eat anything that has been rinsed with water, such as lettace.

3. Don't eat fruit that you can't peel. Peel the apple, it's okay. Eat the skin, not okay.

That said, I've never been sick from eating anything in Coz or Grand Cayman and I've been to both many, many times on cruise ships and land vacations. Most restaurants in Coz will tell you they use purified water. Grand Cayman is very clean, very nice, very expensive! (Most look down on people from Jamaica!)

Restaurants in Cozumel and other ports in Mexico depend on tourists, cruise ship passengers, etc. for their livelihood. They can't afford to develop a reputation for people getting sick from eating the food or drinking the drinks.

All we've been to use treated water to make ice, cook foods, make tea (it has to be boiled first to make tea, just like we do at home).

Use your common sense if eating or drinking from a street vendor, but again, they probably can't afford a reputation of people getting sick.

We are going on an excursion in Coz. to Passion Beach a mexican buffet is included. I'm not worried about the food since it's the same place the cruiselines go, I'm sure it's safe.

I wouldn't eat at just a random spot though, I'd go back to the ship and eat.

As far as on board I think it would be similar to being at packed amusement park, lots of people touching everything. Whatever precautions you take there to keep germs away, do them on board.

One does not need to go all the way to the front. Simply by looking out the window into the horizon will suffice.

Ahhh, but one would not get the necessary cool breeze in one's face by looking out a window.;)

1. Don't drink anything with ice. Drink straight from the bottle or can. Also, frozen drinks are made with ice, don't forget!

2. Don't eat anything that has been rinsed with water, such as lettuce.

3. Don't eat fruit that you can't peel. Peel the apple, it's okay. Eat the skin, not okay.

Don't even drink Mexican bottle water, you will surely get sick also. Wendy and Shayla had their bottle water, it could of been that it was in a large bucket with Ice floating around it.

Bring that Avian water that sold onboard the ship. The Mexican resorts have filtered water, I haven't been sick from their water there and their food, I have a sensitive stomach.

Fred

I seem to remember that the shopping maps that Carnival gives you also include some restaurants. Someone asked the question about eating in one of the shopping talks and the shopping director basically said, just eat at the restaurants on the map and you'll be fine because Carnival wouldn't recommend one that doesn't meet certain standards.

I finally succumbed to sea sickness one night last week during high winds. I couldn't go on deck because the decks were closed.

I DID however, get free sea sickness pills from the purser's desk. They were going like hotcakes that evening!!!

On the Miracle last month they had paper tissues to grasp the bathroom door handles when you leave after washing your hands. I was very happy to see that I am a germaphob when it comes to that.

I always carry the hand sanitizer with me. Princess had it at all the food stations and even at the dining room entrance last year. I didn't see it on Carnival this year.

I truly wish this was true for me, but unfortunately, looking at the horizon from any vantage point does not work for me. :( So I guess this advice works for some, but not for everyone.

DH and I just returned from our Conquest cruise yesterday. We ate at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel, and it was a very nice, clean restaurant with excellent food and waiters. There was live music, which was nice. It was recommended by the CD, and we are glad we tried it out. Pancho's Backyard is at the end of the main street of shops. The best way to "do" Cozumel is to take a taxi to Pancho's Backyard, have a fine meal, then shop your way back to the ship. Only drink bottled water or soft drinks, and eat at reputable restaurants such as this one, and you'll be fine. Or, if you are totally paranoid, go back to the ship to eat. We do that sometimes.

Just an FYI about Airborne...

I found this on http://www.airbornehealthsettlement.com/

A Settlement has been proposed in a class action lawsuit that alleges that Airborne Health, Inc. (and other defendants) (“Airborne”) falsely advertised certain therapeutic properties, including the ability to cure or prevent the common cold, when marketing products under the Airborne brand name, as listed below. Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct but have agreed to settle the litigation. This website provides information on the lawsuit and proposed Settlement. Click here to download the complete Settlement Agreement.

For Seasickness, I strongly recommend SCOPACE. It's the most incredible motion sickness medicine on the market. Personally I don't get seasick, but my wife and mother do if they see a boat sitting on the water. They both have used scopace in the past and it worked wonders on both of them.

http://www.motionsickness.net/

Archived