How to get to theAncient Agora after Acropolis?

Looking at the map, I'm pretty sure we took the street labeled "Apostoli Pavlou", which was a wide street with cafes and nice sidewalks. It wasn't at all hard to navigate, in fact we didn't really use our maps... just came down off the Acropolis and headed northwest. There are some cool Roman house excavations on your right as you walk from the Acropolis to the Agora, and a temple of Dionysus on the left which was unfortunately closed.

The map is a little misleading.....as you exit the Acropolis (where it says "Acroplolis" in red), proceed up and the the right (on the map) along the street named "Theorias"...it's really more of a paved path....about 100 metres or so along (at about the "T" or "h" of "Theorias") there's a gateon the left...I think there's a bit of an unofficial-looking sign that says"Agora"....go down there...there's a gate a few yards on where the ticket-taker will relieve you of another part of your multi-ticket...and you're in!

Kevin

Looking at the map, I'm pretty sure we took the street labeled "Apostoli Pavlou.

Yes, that is definitely what I did, and it was really easy! As other posters have said, do the Acropolis as early as you can, to avoid both the crowds and the heat, and then go back down and see the rest, which is far less crowded!

The street Apostuli Pavlou has recently been blocked off and turned into a beautiful pedestrian Mall, called the "Antiquities Promenade." I strongly recommend taking pretty much a whole day and walking the whole thing, from the Temple of Zeus past (and up) the Acropolis to the Ancient Agora. It is a marvelous view of all the important classical places. Also by now I think the Acropolis Museum will be open at the base of the Acropolis on the Promenade.

Check out our map, review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived