Fishing in Cabo? PV? Mazatlan?

cuterlmt

I would like to surprise my husband with a fishing trip on our Sapphire Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera. We have stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan.

The only place that listed a fishing trip was Cabo and Sportfishing.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Cabo is by far your best option for Sportfishing. There are tons of independent vendors that you can book through so you don't need to book through the ship.

Just Google Cabo San Lucas Sportfishing and you will find lots of info.

As a general rule, the big game fish such as marlin and sailfish migrate south in December. You would be more likely to catch such glamour species down there.

I am going on a Mexican Riviera trip in July/August and booked a trip in advance through cabosportfishingfleet.com. It is price competitive with the others, but throws in bait, lunch, sodas, and fish cleaning for free. Most of the others charge separately for that and, at $2.00 for each mackeral bait and soda, that can add a chunk of change to the cost.

The main factor for me was that I could get a super panga with a "potty" for my two teenage daughters who are accompanying my. Since we do not arrive until 10:30, it was not worthwhile to hire a cruiser for a lot more money and have only a limited time on the offshore fishing grounds.

That having been said, I would actually recommend that you plan your trip out of Mazatlan. The boats are significantly cheaper than in Cabo and the fishing should be better there at that time of year than in Cabo. Although Puerto Vallarta is also an excellent choice and is even further south, there are so many fun excursions available there which you might take together that I would suggest Mazatlan instead.

If you are interested, I can dig out the links which I saved when I was researching fishing out of Mazatlan.

Your husband is a very fortunate man to have "caught" such a trophy as a wife who will surprise him with this trip!

[When my wife talks about my taking a "special" fishing trip, it is always being arranged by "Pablo" the tennis pro at the old El Presidente resort in Loreto who consoles all of the "fishing widows" who would hang around the swim up bar while their husbands engaged in piscatorial pursuits. "Pable, can you believe my husband brought fishing rods on our honeymoon?" "Pobrecita senorita. He is a pig and does not deserve you." Pablo always has to cancel my special "trip of a lifetime" because I keep forgetting to sign the application for that $1,000,000, double indemnity accidental life insurance policy that my wife keeps pushing for me to obtain whenever I annoy her.]

• 1 month later...
As a general rule, the big game fish such as marlin and sailfish migrate south in December. You would be more likely to catch such glamour species down there.

I am going on a Mexican Riviera trip in July/August and booked a trip in advance through cabosportfishingfleet.com. It is price competitive with the others, but throws in bait, lunch, sodas, and fish cleaning for free. Most of the others charge separately for that and, at $2.00 for each mackeral bait and soda, that can add a chunk of change to the cost.

The main factor for me was that I could get a super panga with a "potty" for my two teenage daughters who are accompanying my. Since we do not arrive until 10:30, it was not worthwhile to hire a cruiser for a lot more money and have only a limited time on the offshore fishing grounds.

That having been said, I would actually recommend that you plan your trip out of Mazatlan. The boats are significantly cheaper than in Cabo and the fishing should be better there at that time of year than in Cabo. Although Puerto Vallarta is also an excellent choice and is even further south, there are so many fun excursions available there which you might take together that I would suggest Mazatlan instead.

If you are interested, I can dig out the links which I saved when I was researching fishing out of Mazatlan.

Your husband is a very fortunate man to have "caught" such a trophy as a wife who will surprise him with this trip!

[When my wife talks about my taking a "special" fishing trip, it is always being arranged by "Pablo" the tennis pro at the old El Presidente resort in Loreto who consoles all of the "fishing widows" who would hang around the swim up bar while their husbands engaged in piscatorial pursuits. "Pable, can you believe my husband brought fishing rods on our honeymoon?" "Pobrecita senorita. He is a pig and does not deserve you." Pablo always has to cancel my special "trip of a lifetime" because I keep forgetting to sign the application for that $1,000,000, double indemnity accidental life insurance policy that my wife keeps pushing for me to obtain whenever I annoy her.]

I would be interested in the links you have for fishing out of Mazatlan. I am trying to set up a fishing trip for my son and grandkids. Thanks for the info

Archived