Why The Full Quotes???

cruzeluver

Maybe I'm missing something but..........

I can understand needing to quote part of what a previous poster has stated in order to respond properly, however, I don't understand why some posters will copy and paste paragraph after paragraph (and even picture after picture). My poor scrolling finger is about to fall off! :p

Is there some necessary reason for this that I'm just not getting?

Maybe I'm missing something but..........

I can understand needing to quote part of what a previous poster has stated in order to respond properly, however, I don't understand why some posters will copy and paste paragraph after paragraph :p

Not everyone knows you can only use part of someones post in quotes ;)

I think this is a really good tip to bring up. Think the mods should think about making it a "Sticky" for a while.

I too get a little irked when i see someone quoting an entire review or a few paragraphs only to comment on one line of it.

To be honest, i did not know this for quite a long time as well, so i think it would be nice to at least keep this thread around for a while if not made a "Sticky", always nice to learn new things :)

Happy Cruising!

Okay, since this topic has come up, I have a question. You know, sort of a "always wanted to know but was afraid to ask" sort of thing! :D

If you hit the "quote" button, the person's entire post will automatically paste to the reply window. I know how to edit out all except what I want to answer. When you finish your reply and submit it, the person's words that you quoted will be in a blue shaded box/ area. With me so far?

So here's the question. I see posts sometimes where there are two or three blue shaded "boxes" quoting more then one person. So how is that done? Anytime I hit the quote button, I'm automatically taken to the reply box and can't go back and add another quote from someone else.

[snip...]

So here's the question. I see posts sometimes where there are two or three blue shaded "boxes" quoting more then one person. So how is that done? Anytime I hit the quote button, I'm automatically taken to the reply box and can't go back and add another quote from someone else.

Next to the quote button is the multi-quote button, it has "+ on it.

Okay, since this topic has come up, I have a question. You know, sort of a "always wanted to know but was afraid to ask" sort of thing! :D

Instead of hitting the quote down on the lower right, there's an icon with quote marks and a plus. "+ Hit that for every post you want to quote then hit reply. Delete anything you don't want from the various posts, type your reply then submit.

You can "try it out" by doing all of the above but rather than submit reply, hit preview post. If you're satisfied, then hit submit, if not, back button, try again. Hope this makes sense.

I see posts sometimes where there are two or three blue shaded "boxes" quoting more then one person. So how is that done?

Try hitting "quote" on any message, and look at what shows up in the square brackets -- notice it will say quote=NICKNAME;bignumber

You can type this in yourself and replace any user's name you want. In other words, you can quote someone by *typing in the quote function by hand* in addition to hitting the quote button. (I probably shouldn't say this, but this means you could even make up quotes that people never said! But, we wouldn't do that now, would we?!)

I can quote myself simply by typing inside square brackets quote=rationalpicara and then /quote when I'm done. Like this:

This is me quoting myself, even though I never said anything.

And this is me making up a person entirely, then attributing a quote to them. Oh, the power!! ;)

The big number is the post/message ID of the post that was being quoted, but that's not necessary in order to make a quote box.

So, to quote actual things that other people said, you can simply copy from their message whatever you'd like to quote (might require opening another window or tab so you can see the whole conversation at a time while you're also typing your message) and type in quote=USERNAME and /quote (in square brackets) around what they said.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: D'OH! Hadn't seen the other couple of posts explaining how to do it with buttons. I'm just so used to doing it by hand on other boards that don't have this feature.

Next to the quote button is the multi-quote button, it has "+ on it.

Instead of hitting the quote down on the lower right, there's an icon with quote marks and a plus. "+ Hit that for every post you want to quote then hit reply. Delete anything you don't want from the various posts, type your reply then submit.

Got the multi-quote. But, since we are on this topic now...what is the point of the 3rd button "the Quick Reply"?

Got the multi-quote. But, since we are on this topic now...what is the point of the 3rd button "the Quick Reply"?

Two minutes to slow, thank you for your prompt answer.

Try hitting "quote" on any message, and look at what shows up in the square brackets -- notice it will say quote=NICKNAME;bignumber

You can type this in yourself and replace any user's name you want. In other words, you can quote someone by *typing in the quote function by hand* in addition to hitting the quote button. (I probably shouldn't say this, but this means you could even make up quotes that people never said! But, we wouldn't do that now, would we?!)

I can quote myself simply by typing inside square brackets quote=rationalpicara and then /quote when I'm done. Like this:

The big number is the post/message ID of the post that was being quoted, but that's not necessary in order to make a quote box.

So, to quote actual things that other people said, you can simply copy from their message whatever you'd like to quote (might require opening another window or tab so you can see the whole conversation at a time while you're also typing your message) and type in quote=USERNAME and /quote (in square brackets) around what they said.

Hope that helps!

Like this? :D You guys rock...thanks!

This is a test.. I'm trying out the "Post Quick Reply" to see what it does.

Hmm. Looks like a plain old post to me. I guess maybe it saves the step of going to the bottom of the page?

FYI - I am replying via "Quick Reply" AND I checked the Quote message in reply box.

Hmmm, not much different. Just a smaller typing area?????

Hmm. Looks like a plain old post to me. I guess maybe it saves the step of going to the bottom of the page?

You cannot insert any smilies or change the size of the text or the style of the text. There are some other things you can't do as well. The quick quote is for a "bare bones" reply.;)

As someone mentioned, the QUOTE makes for long emails and more difficult reading. Also, long signatures do seem to clutter up the page. And those pictures...

Anyways, did you know you can click to NOT include our signature on individual postings? Look just below doing a quote and you will ADDITIONAL OPTIONS.

You can test this without actually replying.

Not everyone knows you can only use part of someones post in quotes ;)

Wow!

So here's an easy lesson: Delete everything you don't want to keep EXCEPT the [ QUOTE ] at the very beginning of the material and [ /QUOTE ] at the very end.

Cool!

I think this is a really good tip to bring up. Think the mods should think about making it a "Sticky" for a while.

I too get a little irked when i see someone quoting an entire review or a few paragraphs only to comment on one line of it.

To be honest, i did not know this for quite a long time as well, so i think it would be nice to at least keep this thread around for a while if not made a "Sticky", always nice to learn new things :)

Happy Cruising!

Neat!

I have wondered how this works but was afraid to ask!!! Thanks everyone, I feel whole now.

As to scrolling fingers falling off etc. WHY does everyone have to include with every post the often long list of cruises they have taken and also many icons etc. after their message or answer to a poster's question. ( or even when the poster is asking a question ) It really takes up alot of room. Do we need to know the list of past cruises?

It really takes up alot of room. Do we need to know the list of past cruises?

Nope!!! If a poster asks about a certain ship, the person who replies can state how many times they have been on that ship to reinforce their reply.

I, personally, do not look at where or when a poster has cruised.

If someone asks a question about a future cruise, I do see if that future cruise is posted so that I know what date they are inquiring about.

Good point!

Archived