Baggage restrictions vs. shopping :)

Catmomma

Ok so I am packed for my POA trip and I have 2 check in bags per person and one carry on each. One of those small carry-on's is empty so we can bring stuff home. This is the most bags allowed by our airline. Since I am going to be there for 12 days I have quite a bit packed even though I have gone over it over and over again and I think I am at our minimum so I can't yank more stuff out of our bags.

What do people do when they shop too much and have too much to bring home? Are there places in Waikiki area where I can stuff a box full of dirty clothes to ship home?

Normally I am not a big souvenier kinda gal but we recently bought a home with a vintage Tiki-bar/room that I want to buy things for. Plus the holidays coming up.

Remember that you are still in America. There is a US Post Office a short distance from the ship in every port. Its pretty simple.

Honolulu International Airport - like all International Airports in America - has a 24 hour post office. Its an easy way to kill that 2 hour wait for your flight to depart.

Remember that there is a weight limit of 50 lbs per bag for the airlines. If you go over the limit you will pay for it. Fees and how strictly they monitor that weight limit I have notice varies from airline and airport. So those last minute extras may cost you $25-50... which isn't a big deal but I have seen some people quite shocked as they are checking in.

Remember, most likely you can get rid of 1/3 of the clothing you have packed and never miss it on your trip! :p Have a great time!

Yeah I checked the baggage weight limit and it is 50lbs per bag.. I am at about 36lbs per suitcase. I am at my bare minimum for clothes for all the activities we have planned for the 12 days. Seriously, I am not a overpacker, I usually forget something vital and have to buy it. (first trip to Hawaii in 1988 I forgot a bathingsuit).

I have decided to replace one of my stuffed checked bags with a bigger suitcase that I will go shopping for tomorrow. That way it will go there half empty and have room in it for the flight home.

I also figure I may end up mailing home my dirty clothes ;)

You should be able to carry on 2 items on the plane with you....they usually say one carry on and one personal item (which is a purse, laptop bag, or backpack). I always travel with a roller suitcase that fits up in the overhead bins and a backpack that I jam my littlest purse into and put under the seat. Hope that helps!

Be careful with the size of the back pack. Some airlines will consider a back pack a second piece of luggage and not a "personal item" if it's large and if the flight is full they may get a bit strict.I purchases a wonder expandable duffle bag. It's small enough that I can carry it on when it's zipped up but when I unzip it each fold expand about a foot ito a total of about 4 feet high. It's not good for carrying items that you don't want knocked around but it's perfect for toting home the dirty laundry!

Archived