La Trattoria now charges a cover

Heat Wave

It's part of Freestyle 2.0, sorry you didn't know before your cruise. On my last cruise on the Spirit, La Trattoria, while a good change from main dinning room and still free at the time, was one of the two meals of the entire cruise that were not very good (only fair), was it better on your sailing? Do you consider it worth the 10$ extra?

I have some trouble with all the extra-fees that are implemented. While I didn't mind paying for special items that are usually not served in the main dinning room (filet mignon, Chateau-Briand, Teppenyaki, etc.), I don't like that they now ask money for items like pasta or fajitas. I feel that those meals at the italian or tex-mex places (no tex-mex on the Spirit) don't cost them more (maybe even less) than the meals we eat in the dinning room and it was nice to have a change of atmosphere once in a while but not worth paying extra in my book. I have one more NCL cruise to go and then I will reevaluate if it's still the line for me. I liked the fact that we had options (some for a fee, some included) but now it seems all the options are getting on the "for a fee" side. Another factor for me to reconsider NCL is that more and more people dress sloppy for dinner... lots of reports of shorts in the dinning rooms and jeans are now allowed (I think jeans are fine, I like them when paired with a nice top, button-down shirt for men but I think this will mean to many people who will come in their labor jeans and not the dressier versions of denim). I like to dress up a little (sundress or skirt and top for regular nights, cocktail dresses for "dress up or not nights" but now I feel overdressed because more and more people are wearing old torn clothes).

JP.. we were on the Star about three weeks ago and La Trattoria was a charge restaurant then as well. Although I wish it were still an included restaurant, I have to say it was the best meal we had on the ship. Partially probably because they served one of my most favorite dishes, Spaghetti Carbonara. It was so good we ate there twice. Cagney's was as good as always.. but I LOVED the Spaghetti Carbonara. Of course, LOL.. that is heart attack on a plate.. so I only have it on special occasions such as vacation, etc.. but theirs was very authentic.

We ate here on the Spirit. I am on the fence as to whether I would do it again, at least for the $10 surcharge. Part of me says it was worth it, as we had great service, we liked our meals, were close enough to the next table of dinner guests and enjoyed the conversation, but also felt that it was intimate enough to enjoy our group's conversation w/o being overheard, etc....and mostly because they accommodated our dining time and group size. However, I thought that there might be some other seafood and pasta options---I didn't ask them to make something that wasn't on the menu, so this could have been an option and my fault for not asking for something different. I also thought that the pasta choices in the no surcharge restaurants were just as appealing. I know that this is sounding wishy-washy :o , but for anyone reading this, if you like Italian....go and enjoy. If Italian isn't at the top of your choices, I would just look for the pasta/Italian dishes in the other venues.

We ate here on the Spirit. I am on the fence as to whether I would do it again, at least for the $10 surcharge. Part of me says it was worth it, as we had great service, we liked our meals, were close enough to the next table of dinner guests and enjoyed the conversation, but also felt that it was intimate enough to enjoy our group's conversation w/o being overheard, etc....and mostly because they accommodated our dining time and group size. However, I thought that there might be some other seafood and pasta options---I didn't ask them to make something that wasn't on the menu, so this could have been an option and my fault for not asking for something different. I also thought that the pasta choices in the no surcharge restaurants were just as appealing. I know that this is sounding wishy-washy :o , but for anyone reading this, if you like Italian....go and enjoy. If Italian isn't at the top of your choices, I would just look for the pasta/Italian dishes in the other venues.

I understand exactly what you are saying.. but don't know if that is a plus toward you.. LOL..

We found the service to be exceptional in La Trattoria on the Star. Our little waitress, bless her heart, could barely speak a word of English, but she was so good. and went WELL out of her way to make sure we had a great time. She was adorable. You know how you can just some times tell people are proud of their job.. proud of where they work.. etc.. that was her. We loved her and were so glad we had her both times.

is La Trattoria on the Spirit a separate restaurant? when we ate there on the Star, several years ago, it was just one end of the buffet that they shut down at night and had table service.....it was good food...the service was good, the waiters fell all over themselves when they got my vegetarian daughters meal to her with meat on top....almost like they wanted to be sure we didn't report them (we wouldn't have)...but I am not sure I would have paid 10.00 per person for the meal...might feel a little better about it if I felt like it was a restaurant, not a corner of another room.

So looking forward to December on the Spirit!

Beverly

is La Trattoria on the Spirit a separate restaurant? when we ate there on the Star, several years ago, it was just one end of the buffet that they shut down at night and had table service.....it was good food...the service was good, the waiters fell all over themselves when they got my vegetarian daughters meal to her with meat on top....almost like they wanted to be sure we didn't report them (we wouldn't have)...but I am not sure I would have paid 10.00 per person for the meal...might feel a little better about it if I felt like it was a restaurant, not a corner of another room.

So looking forward to December on the Spirit!

Beverly

The Spirit is the same as the Star.

I believe that the popularity of the restaurant is the most likely the reason they decides to add a surcharge to La Trattoria. On the last two cruises we took on the Star we never were able to get a reservation threre. The surcharge although not popular just might make the restaurant more available.

I knew that La trattoria charging a cover was part of 2.0. One staff member told me it just changed last week. I didn't eat there, not because of the 10 bucks, but because Itallian isn't my cup of tea. The only specially rests. we ate at were Shoguns and Tappenyaki <sp> We enjoyed both. We ate at Cagneys on the Spirit the last time we sailed, but I wasn't in the mood for a long drawn out steak dinner again. It was great mind you, but I thought it took too long to finish.

Archived