Tips for surviving a flight with a 16 month old

calikak

Calm Forte is not recommended for use in anyone under 6 without the approval from a physician. Did your Ped. recommend it?

Calms Forte 4 Kids is not recommended for kids under two, according the the mfgr here. Just fyi. :)

Some great tips here!

I'm the ex-Flight Attendant who wrote that blog above on the subject. It's been on a few websites but use that link because I update it from time to time.

Benedryl landed me in the emergency room at age 7. My doctor father and nurse mother couldn't find a pulse. My mom jokes to this day "Boy does that draw attention in an emergency room, a child draped over your arms. No waiting!". Not everyone can take antihistimines, and I have to be very careful to this day (as does my sister who has the same problem).

Yes, Benedryl IS for colds. It's a decogestant. Be aware that it dehydrates (thus unstuffing you when you're sick) and airplane air is very dry to begin with.

Twice as a F/A, I saw kids go hyper on it. It wasn't a fun flight for the kid, parents or anyone in that area of the cabin. Try it at home first folks!

But seriously, I wouldn't even consider it unless the flight is over 6 hours.

Good work getting him a seat. 16 months is a big "lap baby". Bring your seat. More details on that and how to get it through the airport in the blog. Stow it in your shower in your cabin once on the ship.

I really get annoyed with this take-off and landing thing. No, they don't need to suck. If he's awake and he'll drink something, go ahead but please leave him in peace if he falls asleep! They often do on take-off (which is less critical for the ears) and parents absolutely panic, having read this "tip" everywhere. It's also not landing but the top of descent. Landing is too late. Just have him awake. That's from the AAP. The link is in the article.

I recommend taking your child to the ped before flying. Ear infections are nasty and painful and don't always have symptoms. No amount of sucking will help if his ears are blocked. We caught one once and went on to have a happy flight.

Hope yours' goes well!

Not to advocate giving Benadryl to young children - but I just wanted to comment that there may be more than one variety out there. There may be one that is combined with a decongestant and used for colds, but not all are.

The Benadryl I use for my dd is NOT for colds, it does not contain a decongestant. It is an antihistimine only - and we use it when she is exposed to something she is allergic to (like dog hair for example). We also have Benadyrl in a topical cream - also used for bug bites and allergic reactions.

Antihistimes can make you drowsy - that is why some are advertised as non-drowsy formula. The antihistimine in Benadryl is very close (or the same) to the drug that is in Tylenol PM or Advil PM.

I've flown many times with my son from 6 months on. Lightweight books (becareful with the larger board books, those can get heavy), I second the magna-doodle, crackers, something to drink, his "lovey" or whatever your child is attached to. Finger play is fun too (Itsy Bitsy Spider, patty cake, etc.)

If your child isn't interested in videos (Blue's Clues, Backyardigans, etc.) I'd leave behind the portable dvd player.

As for medicating your child for an airplane trip, I've heard it can backfire and make a child super-hyper and restless. Guess it just depends on the child and how he/she takes it. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth taking the risk. My sister is a Pharmacist and even she doesn't recommend administering that type of med. to a child unless it's absolutely necessary.

Oh and if your child gets a seat near the window he may want to play with the window shade, fair warning :D My son, who was a lap child at the time, played with the window shade for a little bit!

Hope this helps!

Calms Forte 4 Kids is not recommended for kids under two, according the the mfgr here. Just fyi. :)

The children's version is new - I'm still uncomfortable drugging my child for sleep or to calm them.

Aconitum (monkshood) is a highly toxic plant (both juice and plant parts). That's just the first ingredient listed. Many herbal medicinals are unregulated. I still don't feel comfortable giving it to a child.

A friend had recommended the adult version (she had been giving it to her 3 year old son). I asked my pediatrician about it in passing and she hemmed and hawed...and said she "would not give it to her child, I could give it to mine. Just remember it's unregulated." That's why I asked whether or not your pediatrician recommended it.

C'est la vie

Safe travels!

The children's version is new - I'm still uncomfortable drugging my child for sleep or to calm them.

Aconitum (monkshood) is a highly toxic plant (both juice and plant parts). That's just the first ingredient listed. Many herbal medicinals are unregulated. I still don't feel comfortable giving it to a child.

A friend had recommended the adult version (she had been giving it to her 3 year old son). I asked my pediatrician about it in passing and she hemmed and hawed...and said she "would not give it to her child, I could give it to mine. Just remember it's unregulated." That's why I asked whether or not your pediatrician recommended it.

C'est la vie

Safe travels!

I agree, I am also uncomfortable w/drugging my child for sleep, especially for a non-medical reason (ie flying). I did do a minimal amt of research on Aconitum and what I found (mainly in wikipedia) suggests it can be detoxified, and it's perfectly safe when used this way. I have actually taken the regular calms forte myself and found it to be very calming with no side effects. It's come in handy a few times when I was feeling restless and just unable to sleep. I like it because unlike some sleeping pills I've taken, it has no side effects the next morning.

I agree, I am also uncomfortable w/drugging my child for sleep, especially for a non-medical reason (ie flying). I did do a minimal amt of research on Aconitum and what I found (mainly in wikipedia) suggests it can be detoxified, and it's perfectly safe when used this way. I have actually taken the regular calms forte myself and found it to be very calming with no side effects. It's come in handy a few times when I was feeling restless and just unable to sleep. I like it because unlike some sleeping pills I've taken, it has no side effects the next morning.

I really don't trust an unregulated business (herbal industry) with safely detoxing anything- (don't necessarily trust the pharmas either- regulation hasn't really been all that great.)

I think the monkshood plant is very pretty, but I don't even grow it in my garden since I have a young child. That's the only reason I noticed Aconitum (monkshood), I thought it might be a nice addition to my garden...until I did some research! :mad:

BTW - the adult version does not list monkshood a component.

Safe Travels!

Archived