Weather in the western Med

We are leaving on the July 6 Gem for a western Mediterranean cruise. I have read numerous reviews, some of which include very rainy days. I have checked the "average" weather for the dates of our trip and the weather is usually quite hot with very little chance of precipitation. We don't mind a sprinkle or even a brief downpour (emphasis on brief:)) without rain gear, which we'd like to leave at home. For those who know the weather in this area in July, what is the likelihood that we'll wish we had rain jackets or umbrellas? Thanks for any help.

My friend is just back yesterday froma Med cruise and it was VERY HOT -39c in Florence! The very occasional shower in other ports but nothing to warrant anything more than an umbrella. I have been numerous times to the Med in July and have never experienced rain, only HOT HOT HOT! Hope this helps.

I did the Western Med 2 summers ago in July. It was HOT! We did get rain one day in Florence, but the weather was still really hot. It poured, and I mean POURED rain for about 20 minutes. To the point that even if you set foot outside, you were drenched in 2 seconds. I saw tons of people running back to the cruise ship bus when I was on a private tour that were soaking wet. But I don't think that it would be enough to warrant rain gear though. An umbrella might be ok, but it's probably not necessary either. It shouldn't rain to the point that it would dampen your trip or your spirits. And it certainly won't get cold, except maybe at nights when you're sailing and then it can get a little windy and maybe a little cold.

Agree with previous poster - just take an umbrella, though it's unlikely you'll need it, and it will not be cold. Nevertheless, the weather has been a bit mad this year, with even the Spaniards complaining about its unpredictability.

Thanks to all for your help. I'm keeping an eye on the weather via the internet and will consider an umbrella if I have room and it looks like there might be rain. So far it's looking pretty dry. :)

Archived