Anyone use Port Compass tours

pacoloveschocolate

Hi,

Has anyone ever used the tour company Port Compass?

They have some very nice tours and the prices look good, but I would feel better if I knew of anyone that had used them.

We are interested in some tours they offer in Buenos Aires, Lima Peru, and Manta Ecuador.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

Has anyone ever used the tour company Port Compass?

They have some very nice tours and the prices look good, but I would feel better if I knew of anyone that had used them.

We are interested in some tours they offer in Buenos Aires, Lima Peru, and Manta Ecuador.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All I can say-MAKE SURE you know what you are getting!!!

They left us at the pier in Santiago in Dec. 2006. I had booked a PRIVATE tour-take us to the airport NO EARLIER than 7:00PM. They emailed-"would another couple be acceptable??? It would make the tour considerably cheaper". I said yes.

The next thing I knew-we were on a group tour (16 people) and the drop off was between 4-5PM (normal drop off for Valpo-Santiago tours). I emailed back-NOT acceptable. We wanted drop off NO EARLIER than 7:00PM. This was BEFORE we left the USA.

They emailed while we were on the ship and stated our tour price was now almost DOUBLE what we had originally booked IF we wanted a private tour and late drop off. And had a lot of stupid stuff I had NO desire to see. I told them we were canceling and booked a rental car. They had already billed my credit card. Took about 6 weeks to get the money back. Thank goodness, I travel frequently to Chile and Peru for business, so making other arrangements was NOT hard. But for the average cruise ship pax, it would have been a disappointment and a real hassle.

For a very private personalized tour in Lima, please contact Luis at my favorite hotel in Lima. He can make arrangements for either a package type tour (hit the highlights) or go to certain places-the Gold Museum, the Larcomar shopping center (great views and good lunch) plus the Indian Market (internet cafe cheap and the BEST souvenirs at decent prices). He has access to vans and cars, so you can share the tour with your shipmates.

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

In Manta, grab a taxi to Montecristi. This is the home of the Panama hat. Hatmakers all over the town (walk away from the market for the best bargains on hats and the best hatmakers). There truly is NOT much to see in Manta-dirty little port town.

BA-you are on your own. I don't particularly like BA and can't make a recommendation.

Greatam,

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

It's weird that Port Compass has such a large website with so many tours and I literally could not find one mention of them in the entire CC boards.

I appreciate your feedback. I sure don't want to book a tour with an unreliable company and ruin my vacation.

Thanks again.

Archived