Question in Kona

TravelingFamily5

You are looking at a serious drive of about five hours or more(one way), depending upon the traffic. Since you pretty much have to take 19 in and the traffic can get really backed up, you need to allow plenty of time to travel. The roads towards the Valley are slow and there are one-car bridges along the way, so the speed limit is low. We've made it from the Kohala region (Waikaloa) by leaving very early in the morning and making it to the lookout by lunch.

How long will you be in Kona? If you're just there a few hours, I would opt out of the drive and do the snorkeling instead.

I can't imagine it would ever take 5 hours one way from the King Kam to Waipio Valley. Maybe an hour and a half at the absolute most....to the lookout at Waipio Valley. Spikesgirl....are you sure you read this question correctly?

Kapoho - Waipio Valley - the other side of the island, yes? Even if you drive like mad to avoid the traffic out of Kona, then take 19 out to 240, (or 270 off of 19) it's always taken us at least four hours (in light traffic) to reach the outlook. Perhaps I've gotten it confused with some place closer? I'm thinking of the valley that was wiped out by the tsumami years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

That's Laupahoehoe you're thinking of. Waipio is at the very beginnings of the Hamakua Coast, at Honokaa- on the Waimea end of the coastline. You'll be driving straight up Palani Road to avoid the aforementioned traffic. Stop at Matsuyamas market for the absolute best Musubi in existence. The upper highway is kind of a neat drive because it takes you such a variety of terrain- you get to see a lot of the big Island in a short trip. It takes about two hours to drive to Hilo, an hour and twenty minutes or maybe a little less to get to the overlook at Waipio. Polulu Valley is also a neat trip, though the hike in is a good one. You might want to call around and find out about access. I think there was talk about some changes to the rules at Waipio valley, but I don't recall what they were. It might have just pertained to camping, but I think they were reccomending 4 wheel drive only. Like I said- I'm not really certain of that.

Still that's a big day to do that and hit Kahuluu for snorkeling and make it back to your ship on time. There is some really great Snorkeling just off the king Kam- swim out the mouth of the bay and stay right. Not really a lot of easy places to get in and out of the water though, between the King Cam and Kukailimoku point, and even though the water is pretty calm along that stretch most of the year I'd probably have to say that's for strong swimmers only.

I can't imagine it would ever take 5 hours one way from the King Kam to Waipio Valley. Maybe an hour and a half at the absolute most....to the lookout at Waipio Valley. Spikesgirl....are you sure you read this question correctly?

Nothing like local knowledge! Google maps:

60.0 mi – about 1 hour 29 mins

1.Head northwest on Palani Rd toward Kuakini Hwy3.9 mi

2.Continue on Hawaii Belt Rd/Mamalahoa Hwy47.4 mi

3.Turn left toward Mauka Cane Haul Rd1.0 mi

4.Slight right at Mauka Cane Haul Rd0.5 mi

5.Turn left at Waipio Rd5.7 mi

6.Turn left to stay on Waipio Rd0.9 mi

7.Sharp right to stay on Waipio Rd0.6 mi

Given the current driving conditions in and around Kona, I wouldn't recommend trying to do both Waipio and Kahalu'u in the amount of time you have. Kona is also a tender port, which means you have to allow for time getting on the tender, getting to the pier, getting the car, returning the car, catching the tender back. Assuming everything goes perfectly, though, you COULD do it...

Drive time, assuming you go up Palani and along the belt road, through Waimea to Honoka'a and down to the lookout (but not to the valley floor and back up) would be about 90 minutes to two or two and a half hours depending on traffic. Round trip, then is going to be three and half to five hours just driving, plus say 30 minutes or so at the overlook. Assuming you get the first tender and the traffic isn't bad, you'd be ashore at around 8:00, plus half an hour to get the car, leaving Kona at 8:30, arriving Waipio somewhere around 10:00 to 10:30, leaving Waipio at around 11:00, returning to Kona by 12:30 or 1:00, then another half an hour to get from Palani to Kahalu'u, at 1:00 to 1:30 PM. If traffic IS bad, though, it could add another 30 to 50 minutes on all assumptions...

So, it is doable - but you are going to be doing a lot of driving, and bypassing a lot of interesting possibilites. I'd suggest that you take in some of the other points of interest between Kona and Waipio like the Parker Ranch historic homes, the Pu'ukohola Heiau in Kawaihae, the towns of Honoka'a and Waimea, have a plate lunch and/or malasaadas at Tex Drive-Inn at Honoka'a, get back to Kona by 3ish, return the car, walk around Kona a bit, see the Hulihe'e Palace, and the church across the street. Kahalu'u is a good snorkel spot, but there are a fair number of other ones you will get to go to on other islands. Just MHO...

Nothing like local knowledge! Google maps:

60.0 mi – about 1 hour 29 mins

1.Head northwest on Palani Rd toward Kuakini Hwy3.9 mi

2.Continue on Hawaii Belt Rd/Mamalahoa Hwy47.4 mi

3.Turn left toward Mauka Cane Haul Rd1.0 mi

4.Slight right at Mauka Cane Haul Rd0.5 mi

5.Turn left at Waipio Rd5.7 mi

6.Turn left to stay on Waipio Rd0.9 mi

7.Sharp right to stay on Waipio Rd0.6 mi

An hour and 29 minutes is pretty optimal. Palani from the pier to the intersection of Waikoloa Road and Mamalahoa is a good solid 45 minutes most days. Waikoloa to Waimea is 20 to 30, Waimea to Honoka'a another 30 to 45, Honoka'a to Waipio, probably around 20 (slow road), so more like two hours.

Just came back from Kona - you've got to snorkle at Kahalu'u. We saw more fish there than on the Molokini snorkle excursion we took in Maui which cost our family nearly $350.00.

Kahalu'u is free, it's easy, and it's beautiful. We also got to see tons of large turtles there. Even if you only allot an hour for it - it's a must see.

Thank you everyone for all the informations. Waipio is out of the itinerary now. We don't want to spend our time on the road.

SelectSys, I'm keeping your direction in case we do a land vacation to the BI.

Richtoro: we originally plan on snorkeling at the molokini crater but after readng the bad reviews from other people whose been there recently, we change our mind. We'll go to HNP instead on our Day 2 in Maui. They said Kona is the best place to snorkel.

So now our Kona itinerary is this:

Honomalino Bay - to see the pods of Dolphins

Two Step - I've read this is the best place to snorkel, is that true?

Mauna Kea Beach - to see the "whitest" beach in HI

Makole'a Beach - to see the only black sand beach in Kona

Is this doable? If it is, which place should we go to first? last?

If not, which one should we drop?

Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you everyone for all the ...

So now our Kona itinerary is this:

Honomalino Bay - to see the pods of Dolphins

Two Step - I've read this is the best place to snorkel, is that true?

Mauna Kea Beach - to see the "whitest" beach in HI

Makole'a Beach - to see the only black sand beach in Kona

Is this doable? If it is, which place should we go to first? last?

If not, which one should we drop?

Thanks again for all your help.

Again, you've put a lot on your plate and some substantial distances as well. Two Step and Honomalino are basically in the same area, south of Kona, near Pu'uhonua O Honaunau (City of Refuge) and I'd suggest you do these along with the park and the Painted Church and make that your day. Makole'a Beach isn't all that easy to get to, and is north of Kona. You can drive part way in and then have to hike the rest of the way, unless you rent a 4 wheel drive.

Mauna Kea has two nice beaches, Kauna'oa in front of the the Mauna Kea hotel (which is still closed, btw - earthquake repairs and rennovations) and Mau'umae, which is reached from the main road going into Mauna Kea, then taking a right past the corporation yard for the hotel, over the bridge, and then a short hike down to the beach. Both beaches are lovely, Mau'umae is probably my favorite beach on the island. However, Mauna Kea is at least 50 minutes to an hour in minimal traffic from the pier in Kona, going north, and Pu'uhonua O Honaunau is probably an equal distance going south from the pier.

The Big Island is, especially compared to the other islands - BIG and you won't have time to do everything in the one day you have open to you. I'd suggest picking a direction, and sticking with the attractions that are in that area and not tearing around spending your whole day getting from one place to another.

Donna's advice (Pick A Direction) is sound. If you want gorgeous beaches, head north of Kona. The "Mauna Kea" beaches and Hapuna are among the best in the state, and the area around Kiholo Bay really is as cool as the Revealed Book describes it.

South is equally awesome. Snorkelling, coffee, history, it's to the south of Kona.

Both directions will give you a terrific day. Pick 'em.

Donna's advice (Pick A Direction) is sound. If you want gorgeous beaches, head north of Kona. The "Mauna Kea" beaches and Hapuna are among the best in the state, and the area around Kiholo Bay really is as cool as the Revealed Book describes it.

South is equally awesome. Snorkelling, coffee, history, it's to the south of Kona.

Both directions will give you a terrific day. Pick 'em.

Exactly why we are coming for a land vacation! So we can see it all. :) When we were supposed to visit Kona on our cruise (missed port due to high surf), we had planned the southern visit. Seemed to have a bit of everything. We were extremely disappointed about missing this port especially because we were looking forward to the spectacular snorkeling opportunity.

We missed Kona due to sea conditions on our last visit too-I wonder how often that happens and why there in particular? We were really bummed so I hope we get to go this next time.

This is more likely to happen in the winter months when we have 'kona' winds/storms and/or high surf conditions on the western side of the island.

Kona's pier is old, the anchorage is fairly close, but the bay there is shallow, and you can get some significant wave action. I think the ships just err on the side of caution, as they don't want to have anyone hurt.

Tender ports are always a little dicey, anywhere in the world, and, as a general rule, I would suggest that if the only reason you are doing a particular cruise - not just here, but anyplace - is to visit a specific port, and especially if that port is a tender port - take a land trip instead. You are more likely to get to visit the place you want to go.

We just returned from a cruise in Europe and had planned the whole trip around getting off the ship a day early in Brest, France, and taking the high speed train from Brest to Paris to meet some friends for a few days before flying home. There were labor actions and we missed all our French ports, had to lose a day in Paris, make our way from Southampton to London, take the Eurostar under the Chunnel. Lesson learned!! And, I just heard back from the Rail Europe folks from whom we purchased our unused tickets from Brest to Paris - because I didn't (couldn't - we were never in France!!) turn in the tickets at the rail office in advance of the day of travel, no refund - waiting to hear from the trip insurance folks about what they will or won't cover...

Anyway - thing is, you can't predict the weather, the possibiity of strikes, etc. so if a place is really important, don't cruise there as you might not make it, and the contract of carriage always says that changes in itinerary are up to the captain and will be made in cases where the captain thinks the safety of the ship or passengers makes it necessary to do so.

Tender ports are always a little dicey, anywhere in the world, and, as a general rule, I would suggest that if the only reason you are doing a particular cruise - not just here, but anyplace - is to visit a specific port, and especially if that port is a tender port - take a land trip instead. You are more likely to get to visit the place you want to go.

Couldn't have said it better myself. When we decided to return for a land vacation, it just made sense to pick the Kona Coast since we missed it on the cruise. We can't wait!!

We missed for the reasons Donna mentioned... it was late December, the weather was BEAUTIFUL and the surf wasn't "too" bad in the morning. Ok - well, it was quite high - but not yet dangerous. However, the harbor master said NO WAY because by the time we were to be tendering BACK to the ship it would have been too dangerous. Everyone was greatly disappointed. But those of that understand this going in are a bit more forgiving. Others just didn't "get it". :rolleyes:

Our trip was in the summer, I think July, but we still couldn't get in. That is the risk I am weighing. If i go on my own, I am not at the mercy of the Capt. and boats thus allowing me more freedom. It's a tough decision.

Archived