Starting to get depressed about upcoming cruise

Please, no flames.

As I have stated in past posts, I have only cruised one time before, and that was on Premier Cruises for my honeymoon 18 years ago. Even though I had a severe sunburn on my lower legs that landed me in a wheelchair, I still have wonderful memories of the cruise. Due to the demands of our jobs, etc. we have only had 2 other "vacations" since that cruise. It has always been short nearby excursions because I couldn't pull DH that far away from work. I finally decided that enough was enough, the company would survive without you for a week, and made reservations for all 4 of us. I did quite alot of looking around at brochures, etc. to figure out which cruise would be best for us taking into consideration time, 2 teenagers, type of things that are interesting to each of us, etc. I decided on Majesty of the Seas which hits Nassau, Cococay, and then Key West. I didn't want to do a cruise that had any "at sea" days since I didn't know if our DH's would have trouble with seasickness or not. Once all the reservations were made, paid for, and passports updated, I then started surfing all the forum boards to try to get as much insight into what we would soon be embarking on since it has been so long. Now I wish I hadn't. So many of the posts are about how the service has gone downhill, buffets are gone, meal quality is poor, etc. that I really wonder why people spend the money to still cruise? If it has gotten so bad, then why don't people just fly to their destination and stay in a hotel? Why do people still cruise?

Please, no flames.

As I have stated in past posts, I have only cruised one time before, and that was on Premier Cruises for my honeymoon 18 years ago. Even though I had a severe sunburn on my lower legs that landed me in a wheelchair, I still have wonderful memories of the cruise. Due to the demands of our jobs, etc. we have only had 2 other "vacations" since that cruise. It has always been short nearby excursions because I couldn't pull DH that far away from work. I finally decided that enough was enough, the company would survive without you for a week, and made reservations for all 4 of us. I did quite alot of looking around at brochures, etc. to figure out which cruise would be best for us taking into consideration time, 2 teenagers, type of things that are interesting to each of us, etc. I decided on Majesty of the Seas which hits Nassau, Cococay, and then Key West. I didn't want to do a cruise that had any "at sea" days since I didn't know if our DH's would have trouble with seasickness or not. Once all the reservations were made, paid for, and passports updated, I then started surfing all the forum boards to try to get as much insight into what we would soon be embarking on since it has been so long. Now I wish I hadn't. So many of the posts are about how the service has gone downhill, buffets are gone, meal quality is poor, etc. that I really wonder why people spend the money to still cruise? If it has gotten so bad, then why don't people just fly to their destination and stay in a hotel? Why do people still cruise?

Just to let you know, cruising has a 95% satisfaction rate for first time and repeat cruisers. It just so happens that the 5% who are not satisfied with their cruise decide to post on cruise critic.

I have been on 25+ cruises with RCCL, and in my opinion, the food quality remains consistently superb, the buffets are still present and fresh, and the service has remained excellent.

Just don't read the negative posts. Try to do some research on some of the positive aspects about your upcoming cruise. The Majesty of the Seas is an amazing vessel and she will not disappoint you at all!

Take Care and Bon Voyage!

The answer is simple. People still cruise because they enjoy it.

For every post you read listing all the negatives, there are many people who had a great time cruising but didn't post.

Have fun planning for your cruise and don't worry about everything you read.

We were on Majesty last year with my then 14 y/o niece. We all had a great time. If you notice, the negative stuff is from the same few cruisers. Yep, cruising is no longer a luxury vacation. It is for mainstream folks. The dining room food is just fine. The food is not gourmet, it is more banquet quality - or better. Everything we tried was fresh and good. Nothing memorable, but good - tastes good and good quality. We really enjoyed all of our meals. If there was something not to our liking our server was quick to suggest something else. We also enjoyed the Windjammer and Johnny Rockets. Windjammer's food is fresh and a good variety, but it gets old after about 4 days, but hey, that's how long the cruise lasts! Plus if you need more variety there is room service, a deli and the pizza place.

The service is excellent on all RCI ships. I have never met an unfriendly or unpleasant staffer on a cruise. The bartender may not know my name or drink of choice, but I don't sit at the bar for long hours either. The dining room and Windjammer staff has always gone out of their way to accomodate my requests. They seem to enjoy working with well mannered teens.

Turn your teens loose (just set your own curfew) and they will have a wonderful time in the teen lounge area.

Don't stress about it. When you step on board and order your drink of the day, all the worry will be for nothing.

Nassau - try to do an organized tour or if you're beach folks - get info on one of the beaches. Not an interesting place to just walk around.

Coco Cay - Day to relax (also you sound like me - pack lots of sunscreen).

Key West - Loved it. Rent bikes! There are lots of watersports to do. Interesting museums or take the trolley.

Stop looking at the negative and concentrate on the positive. Think of it this way, you have a business and even though I don't know what kind it is think of how many people have actually come up to you to compliment you on your staff's good points. Now think of how many more only let you know when something goes wrong. For every 20 or more people who are actually satisfied on a cruise there will be only 1 person who is negative. And unfortunately that one person is the only one who will take time to let us know. Go back and look at the signatures of repeat cruisers and see how many times they go on cruises. If cruising was so bad I would hardly think they would keep booking future cruises. Do I make sense? It is your vacation and it will be only as good as you will allow it to be.

Enjoy your cruise.

Any experience is what you make it. My husband and I were talking about a cruise a few years back and we vaguely remembered something about a plumbing issue and having no water in our cabin for a stretch of time...but we couldn't remember the specifics, and we couldn't even remember which cruise. There are people on the boards who would claim that not having a shower for dinner ruined their cruise, made them stop sailing a line, or sailing all together. I, like you, spend too much time and money planning my cruise (and too much time working and studying the rest of the year) to let insignificant things spoil my vacation. I can't tell you about the shower failure, but I can talk for HOURS (with photographic back up) of the amazing experiences we've had on board and in port, great food, drinks. If you look for things to ruin your vacation, you'll probably find them. If you keep a positive outlook and learn to laugh off the little things, you will have an absolute blast. Such a good time, in fact, that you will be unable to wait another 18 years for your next cruise!

I hope you have a blast!

We booked the Liberty for last summer - and then the Norovirus struck a couple of months before (just after it launched) and I was beside myself with worry and wanted to cancel - only thing that stopped us was that it was all part of a three-tier holiday we had planned.

The people who said there was nothing to be done, and to go with the flow, so to speak, were generally people who cruised a lot and who could book up another one in the near future. But, if, like us,, you cruise only once in a while and it's the biggest holiday of the year for you, then it does matter if things go wrong.

In the end, there were no problems (although we did smell bleach in our corridor one day) and we had a fantastic time, and have since come back from the Navigator in the Med (I worried about it when I compared it to the Liberty!) and booked the Brilliance for next year (and shall worry about taking another step down in size again!).

It's useful to look at views, so bear in mind what people say but go with an open mind because the chances are that what ruined it for those people won't necessarily ruin it for you. Food is very subjective, what one person likes another doesn't. We have found the food quite good on both RCI cruises so far.

The more cruises you do, the more critical you will become, but for a first-timer - or second-timer in your case - it's a whole new exciting experience (especially as it's been so long since your last cruise).

As for sea days, originally we cruised to arrive - that is, we cruised to see the destination ports - and while that is still true, we now appreciate that some sea days can be very welcome in between busy trips ashore, especially on the bigger and newer boats that have so many facilities on offer.

Nothing is perfect, but if you don't like a particular aspect of the ship you are on then there are plenty of others in the line. Most of all, have fun - you are paying for it after all, and you sound like you deserve it :)

Please, no flames.

I have had 31 cruises about to be 32. Yes, I do see a difference in crusing but you won't notice it since you cruised 1 time years ago on a very good but small cruise line. I loved Premier but they don't compare to the larger ships with their stabilizers and added entertainment. Unless it really gets rockin' and rollin" most don't feel the bigger ships movement. Has the food gone down hill? Yes but I still find it excellent, has service gone down? Yes but I still find it excellent. There is more to do on the cruise ships now. My bet is you will have a great time. If you remember the Premier cruise at all you will be in awe of the newer much bigger ships. I still cruise because if you consider all things crusing is cheaper then driving all over for a week and having to look for hotels, food and entertainment. Having said that with the soaring fuel costs and airline costs it might be better to sit in my back yard and soak of the free sun.

You are worring too much!! The Majesty is a great ship with a great itinerary - especially for teens. The repeat passengers make up the majority of the crowd and they are back because it is an IDEAL getaway for those with limited time. Go, have fun and don't worry!!!!! ;)

Donna

I have had 31 cruises about to be 32. Yes, I do see a difference in crusing but you won't notice it since you cruised 1 time years ago on a very good but small cruise line. I loved Premier but they don't compare to the larger ships with their stabilizers and added entertainment. Unless it really gets rockin' and rollin" most don't feel the bigger ships movement. Has the food gone down hill? Yes but I still find it excellent, has service gone down? Yes but I still find it excellent. There is more to do on the cruise ships now. My bet is you will have a great time. If you remember the Premier cruise at all you will be in awe of the newer much bigger ships. I still cruise because if you consider all things crusing is cheaper then driving all over for a week and having to look for hotels, food and entertainment. Having said that with the soaring fuel costs and airline costs it might be better to sit in my back yard and soak of the free sun.

good post, well summed up

re rocking and rollin - yes, it certainly was that on the NOS recently, not helped by missing one of its stabilisers!

ps can you send me some nice warm Florida sunshine in a bottle please, it's nice here at the moment but no palm trees to look at :)

I have been on cruises that have had no issues and some with minor issues, but I have NEVER had a bad cruise. Just remember, ships are mechanical and sometimes things break. They will do there best to fix the situation. 99% of people understand this and have a great cruise. And like previously stated above, the 1% scream louder than anyone else and that is the negative responses you see. Have a drink, put on your bathing suit and just watch the sea go by. You will have a fantastic time and I wish you a smooth and fun filled cruise!!!:D:D:D

Only those who show up expecting problems will find them. ;)

This forum has thousands of members, but it's still only a small fraction of whose who actually cruise. Members here are encouraged to share their experiences, good or bad.

To me, cruise reviews are like movie reviews. The network critics may not like the show, but that doesn't mean I won't.

Don't worry about you're cruise. Just go ahead and have a good time. As you can tell from my cruise history, I've sailed RCCL many times and have seen the company evolve over the years. Some things, IMHO have changed that I don't agree with, but others for the better. RCCL still has a great product and I keep coming back. Believe me, if it wasn't, I would try another cruise line or change my vacation and try something else.

Relax and have a great time.

Dave

I think they are points of view....some people don't like the service, other people don't like the ship....other don't like the buffet(as me)...but I love all the other things of a RCCL cruise and I wont stop cruising just because of the buffet....and it depends on the cruise...sometimes it's better than other times......you will enjoy your cruise and have a great time!:)

Have a wonderful cruise and after that tell us how was it:D

expect less and you'll be pleasantly surprised. the service is great but the food has gone downhill considerably but you won't go hungry. if you were to pay transportation to the three ports and hotels and meals and shows it would cost a lot more then your cruise fare. Did you take two cabins? with 2 teens one cabin with one bathroom might be more then you'll be able to stand after reading your post.

Please, no flames.

Keep in mind everything you discuss is all subjective. I agree a cruise is what you make it. One person's dislike of food others will rave about. Why do people still cruise?? Because for the money it is still one of the best vacation packages around. Go and enjoy with an open mind. You might not like everything but I suspect you'll like more than you dislike.....but try and remember cruising today isn't what it was 18 years ago........things progress and move along......nothing stays the same for ever........just don't worry about subjective things until you make up your own mind.

Enjoy!!

Just like life a vacation is what you make of it! Some people will never be happy no matter what. Are cruises the same as they were 18 years ago...absolutly not some changes have been for the better and some for the worse but which way you will perceive the changes will be on you. What I found good you may not and vise versa.

My advice is don't go into it with an attitude that it could be bad. This is a long deserved hard earned vacation with people you love. Go laugh, drink and be merry! Relax in the sun, dance in the disco, take in a show...if you don't like your dinner ask them for something else. Have a great attitude and you will have a great time!!!!

Look at it another way. IF the food, service, etc was so bad or even just average, would any of us be here sharing our excitement and enjoyment of cruising. I "tried" one in 2000 to see if I would like it. I have been every year since then and want to do more. I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how big the ships are now and how that many people are served so much good food. It may not be 5 star gourmet, but I am not used to that anyway. The service is still excellent.

Have a great time!

Keep in mind everything you discuss is all subjective. I agree a cruise is what you make it. One person's dislike of food others will rave about. Why do people still cruise?? Because for the money it is still one of the best vacation packages around. Go and enjoy with an open mind. You might not like everything but I suspect you'll like more than you dislike.....but try and remember cruising today isn't what it was 18 years ago........things progress and move along......nothing stays the same for ever........just don't worry about subjective things until you make up your own mind.

Enjoy!!

Hey Isujim howd you like the rhapsody?, I see you sailed her twice;) , Me and DW have sailed her 4 Times and were sick when she was moved out of Galveston!!:rolleyes: They dont have any Fall months anymore so we sail on the Conquest for now, this upcoming one will be our 5th. we like the smaller ships like the Rhapsody but carnivals done us ok and I get a good Military discount, They are opening up a Eastern itinerary for next year in September,we are going to do that one to Key west, Nassau and Freeport Bahamas and see how that one is!!;)

Please, no flames.

Hi there , i understand how you feel because i didn't go cruising for so long then went on carnival and was so nervous that it wasn't going to be great, because what others had said on CC , when we we got on that ship we forgot what people said and judged it for our selfs and had a great time. Had no problem with the food or the service. Have a great time everybody has there own style & taste, life is to short to worry about things you cant control, some people are so picky nothing you do can make them happy. They wouldn't be happy if the waiter did a song & dance while bringing there food.Enjoy the cruise with your family and don't worry.:DGo with an Open Mind

good post, well summed up

re rocking and rollin - yes, it certainly was that on the NOS recently, not helped by missing one of its stabilisers!

ps can you send me some nice warm Florida sunshine in a bottle please, it's nice here at the moment but no palm trees to look at :)

It is going to be around 94 this week in Jacksonville, I will gladly send you all the sunshine you would like.;)

To the OP. Just because you read about things here on CC does not mean a thing. Everyone here has their own opinions on various subjects, some positive, and some negative. Since most of what you read here is very subjective, after you have had your own experience, then draw your own conclusion. Enjoy your cruise. Then let us know what you think.

Archived