Does anyone know what this is?

Robin7

I have this 'swoop' with the 'dots' show up in many photos. We have cleaned the lenses, both ends, and anything else we can think of. It's always in the same place, on the upper left. Any ideas or do I just need to take it into a repair shop? It's a Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D.

Robin

Here are two examples:

2932037430095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

IMG_2125-1.jpg

It is dust on the sensor. you need to set your camera to "cleaning mode" and gently blow the sensor off with a quality filtered air blower like the Giottos Rocket.

It's one of the prices we pay for digital in an SLR. We get a bazillion pictures on a chip, but the dust doesn't leave with the last frame like it did on film.

If it's still there after blowing off the sensor, you may have to invest in some good cleaning tools. It costs about $50-$75 to have a shop clean it for you, but it can be done by anyone if care is used. 2-3 cleanings will pay for the tools to do it properly forever and you may need it cleaned several times a year if you use the camera a lot and change lenses often.

DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSOR WITH ANY BRUSH NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR SENSOR CLEANING!

DO NOT USE CANNED AIR OF ANY KIND!

I recommended the Giottos Rocket specifically for it's filtered output and easy availability.

Dave

BTW, was that top picture taken in Lucerne Valley?

I had this on one set of cruise pics and took my camera back to the store i bought it from and asked how to clean it. The man where I was getting my pics developed showed it to me and suggested this. Yep Dust on the sensor or mirror.

BTW, was that top picture taken in Lucerne Valley?

Thanks, Dave. My husband may be willing to try to clean it after a visit to our local camera specialty shop. (I shudder to think what else he might find there!) I don't have time before our camping trip to take it to be cleaned. I was afraid it might be on the sensor or mirror. Darn it. I guess if he decides he doesn't want to try cleaning it, I'll just have to brush up my photoshop skills and take it in after our trip.

That photo was taken just off the Old Pony Express route, on Dugway Proving Ground's Missile Testing Range, west of Salt Lake City. It's where our rocket club holds their shoots.

Robin

Thanks, Dave. My husband may be willing to try to clean it after a visit to our local camera specialty shop. (I shudder to think what else he might find there!) I don't have time before our camping trip to take it to be cleaned. I was afraid it might be on the sensor or mirror. Darn it. I guess if he decides he doesn't want to try cleaning it, I'll just have to brush up my photoshop skills and take it in after our trip.

That photo was taken just off the Old Pony Express route, on Dugway Proving Ground's Missile Testing Range, west of Salt Lake City. It's where our rocket club holds their shoots.

Robin

Dust on the mirror or the viewfinder screen at the top of the mirror box (the area in front of the shutter where the mirror swings up and down as the shutter trips) will not appear on the image. It should be removed, though. If not, it may dislodge from the mirror or the viewfinder screen and get deposited on the sensor.

The process usually goes like this:

Take off the lens after dusting thoroughly around the lens mount.

Holding the camera with the opening downward (so dust doesn't re-settle), blow several blasts of air into the mirror box checking to see that lint and dust is being dislodged.

Holding the camera facing down, set it to cleaning mode. This will snap the mirror up and lock the shutter open. Keeping it pointed downward as much as possible, blow lighter blasts of air into the opening aiming at the exposed sensor.

DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSOR WITH ANYTHING NOT DESIGNED TO CLEAN A SENSOR!)

Turn off the camera and put the lens back on. On manual, set the camera to f/16 and take a picture of a smooth, plain area (blue sky, white wall) and look at the image to see if the dust is gone.

If not, it's time to buy a sensor brush!

My favorite...works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NNJ5CS/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=277661601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FZY3D0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=016V9EYBQD91B9JSSNSV

A sensor viewer is really helpful too. Optional, but keeps you from making a lot of dust-check shots of the wall:

http://www.amazon.com/Visible-Dust-Brite-Sensor-Loupe/dp/B000RHLF14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1214353935&sr=1-2

I shoot a lot and not always in nice windless/dustless places. These two items have paid for them selves many times over not only in cleaning fees, but in editing hours not spent!

Good luck!

Dave

Just curious about the launch site. I had a good friend that was deep into a So-Cal club.

Here's a site with a lot of info on cleaning your sensor. Luckily, I have not had to do it yet, but my camera is pretty new. http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

It tells you which method is recommended by the manufacturer for each brand of camera. (If you use the wrong chemicals, it can damage your sensor & void your warranty.)

I've never had to use anything but the static brush, even after almost 4 years on the Minolta. Most swab cleanings I've heard about are from someone cleaning it wrong the firat time! (Read as removing aloe from a sensor after using a "soft" Kleenex!:eek:)

Most cleanings are done dry, thankfully.

Dave

I've never had to use anything but the static brush, even after almost 4 years on the Minolta. Most swab cleanings I've heard about are from someone cleaning it wrong the firat time! (Read as removing aloe from a sensor after using a "soft" Kleenex!:eek:)

Most cleanings are done dry, thankfully.

Dave

That's good to hear! One of my biggest worries about getting a DSLR was getting dust and having to clean the sensor.

Karen,

Don't be afraid of cleaning the sensor. What you are touching is the protective layer on the sensor rather than the sensor directly itself. But like cleaning glasses, avoid using a dry cloth or tissue. MOST dust can be blown away. For those that can't be blown off, use dampened swabs. The swabs and cleaning solution can be purchased from a quality camera store.

Archived