Best Bang for Buck to See Mayan Ruins (Carnival)

coconutball4u

Hi. I am taking the Carnival Legend with 3 friends on August 17th. A couple of us would really like to see Mayan ruins. Does anyone have any suggestions which ones to hit? I was thinking Tulum because I hear that is incredible. Is it worth all the time? We were also thinking about the jungle atv to the ruins. How is this? Do you see alot of ruins?

Are there any other better suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I am taking the Carnival Legend with 3 friends on August 17th. A couple of us would really like to see Mayan ruins. Does anyone have any suggestions which ones to hit? I was thinking Tulum because I hear that is incredible. Is it worth all the time? We were also thinking about the jungle atv to the ruins. How is this? Do you see alot of ruins?

Are there any other better suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would book the ruins in Belize. There are a couple of good ones. You can check them out on the Belize thread.

Tulum is fantastic but it is a royal pain to visit from Cozumel. You have about 1 1/2 hours of ferry crossing (that is roundtrip) and another 1 1/2 to 2 hours travel (rt) to get to the ruins, and that is "IF" you don't have any problems. I would save this one for a Calica stop. Whoops, I guess that I did.:cool:

I am going to Cozumel for the first time in September and was originally thinking of going to Tulum because I have heard the same thing you've heard.

However, for me personally, I've decided not to go on this--my first trip--to Cozumel. There is a 45-minute ferry ride, plus a lengthy cab ride to eve get there. You get about 1.5 hrs at the site and then have to do this all the way back. So it's a long day for about 1.5 hrs at the ruins.

Now, I have heard there are ruins on Cozumel itself.

But if you search on-line for "excursions to Tulum" or "Mayan Ruins excursions" you will find lots of operators that do say they can get you back to the ship in time.

Hope this helps a little bit...

However, for me personally, I've decided not to go on this--my first trip--to Cozumel. There is a 45-minute ferry ride, plus a lengthy cab ride to eve get there. You get about 1.5 hrs at the site and then have to do this all the way back. So it's a long day for about 1.5 hrs at the ruins.

Now, I have heard there are ruins on Cozumel itself.

San Gervasio isn't far from San Miguel. You can take a taxi or rent a car and hire a guide at the ruins. These are small but there is some neat history to them.

Other ports with good ruin tours are Belize, Costa Maya, Calica and Progreso.

Archived