Bad weather changes PS itinerary

snowmn

25/06/08

Bad weather for two days out of Auckland has forced a change of itinerary for Pacific Sun. We are on cruise N824 and have experienced high wind and seas for the last two days, however today is a lot better with wind of about 10 knots and slight seas. A lot of people have been sick and most outside decks were closed due to the high winds. Luckily none of us had trouble with sea sickness, but moving around the ship was an effort with it pitching and rolling.

A result out of this was that the ship travelled at reduced speed meaning we would not have made Mystery Island until 4.00pm today (should have been 8.00am). The captain decided to re route the ship, changing the itinerary. We are now going to dock at Noumea at 8.00 pm tonight and stay along side until 6.00pm 26/06/08, spending a full day at Noumea tomorrow. We then go to Ouvea the next day, then onto Mystery Island, then back to the Isle of Pines and then two days back to Auckland.

Port Vila has now been deleted from the itinerary, (much to the disappointment of most passengers) However we did get a complimentary glass of wine with dinner last night, for the lost of one of our ports and an extra day at sea – most generous!

Overall the crew have done their best and been fabulous in trying conditions. Unfortunately with P&O running a very tight schedule there is very little room for things to go wrong (weather wise – or anything else) and be able to make up time.

Hopefully the rest of the cruise will be great, the weather certainly looks better for the next few days.

Pieter

Thanks for the update Pieter - I have been looking at the webcam and couldn't figure out why it said Noumea not Mystery Island. I've been watching as my parents and sister and her family are on board as well. Hope you have smooth seas for the rest of the cruise.

Hi How is it going? This time next week we are on the P.S. Any news from the boat? I was thinking surely it can't be as bad as from Bluff to Stewart Island. It makes me feel quite nervous:confused:

Now back after the cruise. The rest of the cruise went well and the Island stops were delightful. The crew are certainly a highlight and make the experience very enjoyable, they all seem so happy to please and make your trip enjoyable. The hardest part of being onboard is trying not to eat too much.

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise even with the disappointment of losing one of our ports of call.

The rough weather abated on the the third day and the seas were reasonably calm after that.

Pieter

Archived