Very Dissapointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service

Live4Miles

I agree since they've learned from this experience. But their complaint is unusual - esp. the part about being "locked" in their cabin each night .... when in fact they didn't need to stay there. Since casual dining was an option, they would have had to walk through the ship to get there. Why not take advantage of that and get out and explore instead of feeling like a prisoner?

I agree! This is an extraordinary complaint.

I believe they had room service each evening (that was their plan from the beginning hence not bringing formal/semi formal/casual attire), so they weren't walking to casual dining each night.

I agree! This is an extraordinary complaint.

I believe they had room service each evening (that was their plan from the beginning hence not bringing formal/semi formal/casual attire), so they weren't walking to casual dining each night.

Correct ... they didn't want to eat at the casual dining restaurant... but after their in-cabin dinner, they could have pretended that they were heading to deck 10 just to get out of the confinement of their cabin... to stretch their legs and see something other than their own cabin and each other for 7 straight nights.

Correct ... they didn't want to eat at the casual dining restaurant... but after their in-cabin dinner, they could have pretended that they were heading to deck 10 just to get out of the confinement of their cabin... to stretch their legs and see something other than their own cabin and each other for 7 straight nights.

Yes, of course they could've. I guess they live and die by the rules.

Yes, of course they could've. I guess they live and die by the rules.

I think that hits it on the head.

My spouse more than me, but we follow the rules.

My original complaint was that the rules as we understood them were different from what they actually are...

Bottom line the ships rule is "the nightly ships dress code throughout the ship after 6pm". I think that everybody should have to live up to them. We chose to follow them and not venture out without appropriate attire.

If I had to comment on the posters saying we should have ventured out and we would have seen other "rule breakers" so we would have been ok to go out as is, is not right.

As I have stated in earlier post, If we had know the ACTUAL Rule from pre cruise information received from the cruise line we would have either not gone, gone with appropriate clothes, or gone and did what we ended up doing anyway, staying in cabin (at least we had a big balcony!), but we would have been able to make that choice before cruising.

We chose this cruise more for the itinerary and cost vs the actual cruise experience. The itinerary and cost was excellent, the food was great and the exercice room and the aqua spa were fantastic.

Ok call me an old cynic if you like but I really cannot believe that someone:

a) would only take jeans to wear on a cruise

b) when they realised they couldn't wear them didn't buy clothes at the first port

or is it just me?

I understand the opinions that the OP perhaps deserves compensation due the airport issues. But as someone who has gone through some pretty hellatious experiences at airports, including my afore-mentioned 24-hour odyssey just to get from LA to NY, and receiving NO compensation, it's very difficult for me to read that their comparatively minor blip is worth anything at all.

As for the "ridicule" that the OP has received in this thread, I find it utterly unsurprising. The very idea of someone exiling themselves to their cabin every night, to the point where they considered leaving the cruise because they felt trapped, because they brought nothing but jeans (in SEVEN bags) to Europe, is most certainly a unique one, and not something any of us have seen on CC on the past. It's simply so outlandish that it's going to inspire an awful lot of headshaking.

And probably did from Celebrity as well. In fact, I would venture to guess that Celebrity never even considered offering any compensation because the letter itself focused so much on the whole jeans/prisoner aspect, not even getting to the airport fiasco until many paragraphs later - at which time the people reading the letter may very well, like me, have been shaking their heads too much to be able to delve into the airport details.

I'm personally not inclined to go back and try to understand all the specifics of what happened with the flights. But my recommendation to the OP is, if you really want to get some some money out of Celebrity, to re-write that letter and completely eliminate everything to do with YOUR dress-code confusion and self-imposed exile. Calmly and rationally detail what happened, and why you feel Celebrity owes you compensation. Perhaps then your real (and only, I might add) issue with them will come through.

And I'm sorry, but there is just nothing that anyone can post in here that can make the jeans/exile thing seem any less absurd. You really could have gone out of your room, y'know - dress codes are just that - CODES - not laws. Nothing bad would have happened to you, and you might even have had a good time.

b) when they realised they couldn't wear them didn't buy clothes at the first port

or is it just me?

Trust me, it is not just you. I would just add that the ship itself almost certainly had "appropriate" attire for sale.

I understand the opinions that the OP perhaps deserves compensation due the airport issues. But as someone who has gone through some pretty hellatious experiences at airports, including my afore-mentioned 24-hour odyssey just to get from LA to NY, and receiving NO compensation, it's very difficult for me to read that their comparatively minor blip is worth anything at all.

I'm with you on that. Although having to switch terminals was certainly an inconvenience, I would not consider it a major one if there was still plenty of time to catch my flight.

However, everyone's ability to tolerate inconvenience will vary so if the original poster really felt significantly put out by it I don't think it would hurt for a more concise letter and direct request for some form of "reasonable" compensation to be sent. Celebrity might comply with their request to keep them happy or not. I think Celebrity could go either way on it and I wouldn't quibble with their decision. The initial letter was so long and full of so many points, I think Celebrity wasn't sure what the writer was after and so didn't offer anything.

or is it just me?

It’s not just you. I have been wondering the same thing. On my second cruise (Celebrity) my DW had all my causal and informal evening pants and some shirts hanging on our bedroom door so we won’t forget to pack them in the garment bag before we left. Guess what we forgot.:eek: This was discovered onboard when we unpacked. I didn’t lock myself in the cabin for the nights I needed them or break any rules. Upon discovery of this I waited for the stores onboard to open and bought two pairs of brand name (TH) Dockers and one shirt. I think it cost me about $ 100.00 on my seapass. It served as a reminder, lessens learned for future cruises.:rolleyes:

In addition the cruise documents provided by Celebrity refer to “Evening Wear” and states what you need for the different evenings of the cruise. The Celebrity Website also covers the same and nowhere can I find that it says this applies only to the dinning room. Otherwise it would say “Formal Dinning” not “Formal Nights”.

I also don’t see where it is clear that Celebrity is at fault for the wrong Terminal Information at LHR. It’s likely it was the information they had from BA at the time. These kinds of changes should be expected these days with air travel.

It sounds to me like a very avoidable situation and one that IMO doesn’t demand a refund or FCC. I believe a call and a “we’re sorry for the misunderstanding” was called for and was received.

Unless there’s more to this story, I’m sorry OP that you didn’t have the relaxing vacation you expected but the fault doesn’t fall on Celebrity IMO. :cool:

Live4Miles....Regarding the clothing issue... I think I am speaking for most when I ask this, but please forgive me if I'm not.

When you realized what the "rules" were, if you truly wanted to leave your cabin in the evenings, why didn't you make a beeline to one of the onboard shops and purchase slacks for you and DW?

What gets me is that you chose not do do such, yet you start a thread stating that you're "Very Disappointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service", because you chose to remain in your cabin every night.

One one of our cruises, one of us forgot to pack ties for DH. Well, what did we do? We went to one of the shops onboard and purchased 2 ties. No, they weren't Armani, but they did the trick.

Your entire "prisoner-in-your-own-cabin-ordeal" could have been nipped in the bud on evening #1, just as simple as that.....end....over....done.

"

As I have stated in earlier post, If we had know the ACTUAL Rule from pre cruise information received from the cruise line we would have either not gone, gone with appropriate clothes, or gone and did what we ended up doing anyway, staying in cabin (at least we had a big balcony!), but we would have been able to make that choice before cruising.

As for the "ridicule" that the OP has received in this thread, I find it utterly unsurprising. The very idea of someone exiling themselves to their cabin every night, to the point where they considered leaving the cruise because they felt trapped, because they brought nothing but jeans (in SEVEN bags) to Europe, is most certainly a unique one, and not something any of us have seen on CC on the past. It's simply so outlandish that it's going to inspire an awful lot of headshaking.

And probably did from Celebrity as well. In fact, I would venture to guess that Celebrity never even considered offering any compensation because the letter itself focused so much on the whole jeans/prisoner aspect, not even getting to the airport fiasco until many paragraphs later - at which time the people reading the letter may very well, like me, have been shaking their heads too much to be able to delve into the airport details.

I'm personally not inclined to go back and try to understand all the specifics of what happened with the flights. But my recommendation to the OP is, if you really want to get some some money out of Celebrity, to re-write that letter and completely eliminate everything to do with YOUR dress-code confusion and self-imposed exile. Calmly and rationally detail what happened, and why you feel Celebrity owes you compensation. Perhaps then your real (and only, I might add) issue with them will come through.

And I'm sorry, but there is just nothing that anyone can post in here that can make the jeans/exile thing seem any less absurd. You really could have gone out of your room, y'know - dress codes are just that - CODES - not laws. Nothing bad would have happened to you, and you might even have had a good time.

Whether you agree with the poster or not, he has been very polite in all his posts here. I think the least he deserves is civility in return.

I commend OP (I guess) for being so dress code compliant. (Probably the only one on the ship THAT compliant.)

I'm a casual dresser, but ONLY jeans on a cruise? And for the love of Broadway (shows) one could've picked up any pair of cheap trousers - even SWEATPANTS (not suggesting it, but for the love of splitting hairs over dress codes as so many do) - in any port town... I just find the dedication to both jeans AND the dress code to be... extraordinary...

The deal with the airport - stuff happens. As another poster said, OP chose to re-book and in all liklihood a more schedule attractive flt would've cost more booked via the line too, so while I'm sympathetic to the inconvenience, I'm not majorly won over to a $200 compensation credit. The line did miscommunicate though (taking OP's word for it) which would've required a terminal change at sprawling Heathrow.

In 2006, one might have - maybe - gotten a $100 - 200 OBC for the travails - but in 2008 the lines aren't feeling so generous. One might have done better simply writing a complaint about the air terminal miscommunication. The dress code beef sort of damages credibility a bit... or at least paints the OP as a bit of an eccentric.

The dress code issue defies belief. I am sure that the OP and his spouse are intelligent people and having spent a fair bit of money to come to Europe, to then consider leaving the ship in Dublin entailing considerable expense is completely beyond me.

I

Look, if you can't come here and have reasonable people give you good information before you go, and then when you come back and admit what you did, who is here but your friends to tell you exactly where you went wrong.

The dress code issue defies belief. I am sure that the OP and his spouse are intelligent people and having spent a fair bit of money to come to Europe, to then consider leaving the ship in Dublin entailing considerable expense is completely beyond me.

As I've learned by being in the medical profession, hyperbole never hurts if you are trying to win the lottery.

Yes, get off the ship in Dublin and buy pants. Then get back on and leave your cares behind.

I suppose I should be "utterly unsurprised" about the ridiculing too.

bbro, I'm sorry if you find my posts offensive, but it's pretty obvious that I am not the only person in here who is expressing incredulity (a MUCH better word than ridicule to characterize my personal reaction) over this whole episode. In fact, if you read through this thread, the vast majority of posters are reacting the exact same way. So I'm not sure why you are addressing only me.

Look, the whole jeans/exile thing is undeniably odd. With all the discussions on this board about dress codes and such, have YOU ever heard of anything like that? And by including that in his letter and post, it renders his entire complaint bizarre. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I honestly cannot imagine spending an entire expensive foreign cruise locked in my cabin in the evenings, when freedom was just a quick shop-purchase away. Regardless of whose "fault" it is that they did not have appropriate clothes with them, wouldn't YOU have simply gone and bought a pair of pants to be able to escape? Is there anyone else in here who wouldn't?

The dress code beef sort of damages credibility a bit... or at least paints the OP as a bit of an eccentric.

My point exactly. :) And if they were to claim that they were not in a financial position to spend money on pants (which would beg the question why they were on an expensive European vacation to begin with), that too would have no credibility, as they were willing to drop $200 on a more convenient flight home, rather than wait several hours at the airport. Me - I would have spent that $200 in port and bought some PANTS.

Archived