Question-Shore Excursion-Transfer to Florence

Cruzin Terri

We took the transfer to Florence on May 8th cruise. I can't remember where the bus dropped us off. But,there will be a guide on the bus. Our guide walked us from the bus drop-off area to the piazza in front of the Santa Croce Church. It was a short walk.

She also met us late afternoon in the same spot, to get us back to the bus for our transfer back to the ship.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider the alternative of train from Livorno to Florence.

The one time I used HAL's transfer, traffic was horrendous. It was a weekday in late September. From the outskirts of Florence, where all tour buses have to stop and get a day permit of some sort, it took the better part of another hour to center of town. Fellow passengers who used the train had a much better experience.

On the downside, the railway does, from time to time, have short strikes, although these are normally announced in advance.

Bob

PS: there were no restrooms on the coaches when I used the shuttle.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider the alternative of train from Livorno to Florence.

The one time I used HAL's transfer, traffic was horrendous. It was a weekday in late September. From the outskirts of Florence, where all tour buses have to stop and get a day permit of some sort, it took the better part of another hour to center of town. Fellow passengers who used the train had a much better experience.

On the downside, the railway does, from time to time, have short strikes, although these are normally announced in advance.

Bob

PS: there were no restrooms on the coaches when I used the shuttle.

I made the decision to do the bus transfer rather than the train after reading lots of posts from people on the Europe board. The decision was made after realizing that I would be wasting a lot of time getting from the ship to the train station and then taking a local train. Many indicated that, while it cost more, the amount of time saved by taking the ship's transfer was worth it. So that's what I did. We have booked. While I know that I still have time to cancel that excursion. I think in the interest of time and not having to find our way to the train station in Livorno, I will stick with that option. Thank you for the advice. Having spent 3 days in Florence on another trip, we will do whatever we are able to do and be happy with that. On this trip we are there on a Monday and all the museums are closed. So I think we will have time for the things we want to see. Thanks for your help.

Terri

Archived