Cruise newbie with some Qs, specifically pregnant cruising.

giantcrazy

Hi all-

I've been looking into cruising out of NYC to Bermuda on the Dawn. This would be our family's first cruise, and I'd like to make sure it's as smooth as possible because one bad experience can sour us forever :(

Major problem here is that DW is pregnant, just about 5 months by the time we're looking to cruise (early August). The kids are 4 and 6, and seasickness is a concern of mine. She's had morning sickness up until now, but based on past experience I'm hoping that will clear up a bit. One thing it does complicate would be the use of medication, so I'm nervous about booking at this point.

A few questions, for those who in the know:

• How bad is the motion? If you had small kids with you, did they suffer from motion sickness? If you've done a cruise pregnant, did you have any problems?
  • How small is a regular room? There are no balcony rooms available, only suites (a bit outside our budget, but in a press I could get there), and oceanview rooms. My kids are young, so we could make do with a queen bed in a bind, but if the room is tiny I might have to upgrade.
  • How well enforced are the kids club ages? My kids are 4 and 6 (more like almost 5 and 6), and I noticed that they're grouped from 2-5 and 6-). My kids are very close, and I'd prefer to keep them together in the 6+ group. I wouldn't request it if I didn't know my younger one was mature enough to handle it (he could easily pass as his sister's twin).

My other alternative would be to book a cruise out of NYC that went somewhere other than Bermuda if the seas going there are going to be an issue, but I'm not sure if it's particular to a certain route/path or if it's just the time of year, or cruising in general.

Help!

Hi all-

I've been looking into cruising out of NYC to Bermuda on the Dawn. This would be our family's first cruise, and I'd like to make sure it's as smooth as possible because one bad experience can sour us forever :(

Major problem here is that DW is pregnant, just about 5 months by the time we're looking to cruise (early August). The kids are 4 and 6, and seasickness is a concern of mine. She's had morning sickness up until now, but based on past experience I'm hoping that will clear up a bit. One thing it does complicate would be the use of medication, so I'm nervous about booking at this point.

A few questions, for those who in the know:

• How bad is the motion? If you had small kids with you, did they suffer from motion sickness? If you've done a cruise pregnant, did you have any problems?
  • How small is a regular room? There are no balcony rooms available, only suites (a bit outside our budget, but in a press I could get there), and oceanview rooms. My kids are young, so we could make do with a queen bed in a bind, but if the room is tiny I might have to upgrade.
  • How well enforced are the kids club ages? My kids are 4 and 6 (more like almost 5 and 6), and I noticed that they're grouped from 2-5 and 6-). My kids are very close, and I'd prefer to keep them together in the 6+ group. I wouldn't request it if I didn't know my younger one was mature enough to handle it (he could easily pass as his sister's twin).

My other alternative would be to book a cruise out of NYC that went somewhere other than Bermuda if the seas going there are going to be an issue, but I'm not sure if it's particular to a certain route/path or if it's just the time of year, or cruising in general.

Help!

First here is the policy on cruising pregnant

Pregnancy

Pregnancy must be regarded as a medical condition. An expectant mother's application for passage must be accompanied by a medical certificate establishing her due date and fitness to travel, and acceptance is subject to the following conditions:

NCL will not be responsible or liable for any complications of pregnancy which arise or occur during the cruise.

NCL will not accept passengers who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the time their travel with NCL concludes.

For further information, please contact our Ship Coordinator Department.

Kids club -as rule no exceptions on ages.

Outside cabin you will have twin beds, a trundle bed, and a pullman. It is very cozy when the beds are all made up - wall to wall.

The only penthouse you could book for 4 is an AB - two bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

That is all I can help with.

Congratulations on your upcoming baby!

I cruised when I was in my first trimester - I guess I was around 3 months along. I wore the sea bands (wrist bands) the whole time. I also kept myself hydrated and instead of having a big meal, I would have several small meals throughout the day so I wouldn't become too hungry. Other than that, cruising while pregnant is no different in my opinion.

I have not been on the itinerary that you are asking about, although we did have some rough seas on our Caribbean cruise in November. It's all up to Mother Nature.

My hubby and I always get the best room we can as we spend a fair amount of time hanging out on our balcony. You may be a bit cramped, but the kids will probably be in the kids camp so maybe it won't be a big deal for you.

I have never used the kids club, but from my understanding of it, the rules are 100% enforced regarding the ages.

Hopefully some of the other more experienced cruisers will give you some advice.

Happy cruising!

Bigdog is correct with posting that cruise line policy.

You may not be 24 wks or more by the time your cruise has completed. In fact, you will need to provide a dr's statement to that effect if there is any chance you will even *look* 24 weeks along at cruise time.

DIL just got off a ship at 22 wks pg. She had the appropriate dr's note to state she was not 24 wks turned in to NCL beforehand and carried a copy to the ship with her as well.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do.

~d

First here is the policy on cruising pregnant

Pregnancy

Pregnancy must be regarded as a medical condition. An expectant mother's application for passage must be accompanied by a medical certificate establishing her due date and fitness to travel, and acceptance is subject to the following conditions:

NCL will not be responsible or liable for any complications of pregnancy which arise or occur during the cruise.

NCL will not accept passengers who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the time their travel with NCL concludes.

For further information, please contact our Ship Coordinator Department.

Kids club -as rule no exceptions on ages.

Outside cabin you will have twin beds, a trundle bed, and a pullman. It is very cozy when the beds are all made up - wall to wall.

The only penthouse you could book for 4 is an AB - two bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

That is all I can help with.

Thanks BigDog! Sounds like I might have to bail on it, simply because the kids club would be a non-starter if I had to have the kids separated. It's a shame, but policy is policy.

If I do decide to go, I'll be sure to bring a note from the wife's OB/GYN. She won't be 24 weeks when we've cruised, but man would I hate to have to explain that when I'm trying to board the ship rather than just hand someone a doctor's note.

ok, I've done it. Wind Song (beloved and departed ship) in Tahiti, 11 days. The trip of a lifetime for us just before our first child was born.

I will preface this with: EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT AND MY ADVICE IS WORTHLESS COMPARED TO YOUR WIFE'S DOCTOR'S ADVICE. Okay?

I was 5 months pregnant and barely showing when we left.

We sailed through a typhoon. I can't tell you that i was actually sea sick (i'd had some morning sickness but this was the easy trimester and I was feeling great), but i had the WORST migraine of my life on that ship on a calm flat sea. I'm sure it was related to the motion and the pregnancy. But the real issue was that we were in the middle of the Pacific and the doctor, who was fabulous, had very limited medications to begin with and even fewer meds that he could give a 5 month-along pregnant woman who wanted to give her head to her worst enemy. He was making plans to airlift me out when the shot of demerol he gave me made the pain go away so i could sleep. I woke up four hours later and danced the night away (new years eve) and had no further problems for the rest of the trip.

But for that one incident, and all during the stormy seas, I (who normally get very seasick) was fine. It was a spectacular cruise.

So why do i relate this story: 1) to remind you that you will be in the middle of the ocean with limited options; 2) that's why they have the policy; 3) everyone reacts differently AND pregnancy can change a body's 'normal' reaction to something different too; 4) hope that helps.

Oh, would I do the trip again ...you bet but only because it DID have a happy ending.

Kids that age sharing a cabin with Mom and Dad is not bad.

Our kids were very close growing up, but when they had to go their own way, they grew even more. You really should give it a try. It is good for their personal growth.

Good luck with your choices.

I cruised when I was 11 weeks pregnant. I took ginger capsules throughout the first trimester and they kept morning sickness away pretty well, including on our cruise.

I wouldn't cruise past about 22 weeks, though. My son was born at 27 weeks and 2 lbs. 14. oz. when my water just suddenly broke. If this happens on land, they can do bed rest and sometimes keep the baby cooking in you for a long time; if you're out at sea, with limited medical facilities, I just don't know how things would go. I can say that when my water broke I was very glad I was in a major city near serious hospitals. Of course, I was the worst case scenerio: a perfectly normal pregnancy suddenly gone horribly wrong, and most people don't have to go through having their child in a NICU for 9 weeks. But it's just something to consider, and something I never would have thought about before having a preemie.

[*]How well enforced are the kids club ages? My kids are 4 and 6 (more like almost 5 and 6), and I noticed that they're grouped from 2-5 and 6-). My kids are very close, and I'd prefer to keep them together in the 6+ group. I wouldn't request it if I didn't know my younger one was mature enough to handle it (he could easily pass as his sister's twin)

Help!

NCL is extremely strict about their age groups. It is much easier to enforce by saying "no exceptions." (take all of the decision making out of the hands of the crew.) There have been some reports of kids being allowed to stay down a group while a younger sibling got used to the group and then move up to where they belong, but I have never heard of any exceptions the other way.

They use the ships manifest to confirm the ages of the kids, so attempting to "exagerate" ages won't work either.

Archived