Experienced snorkelers, I need your advice on Coki Beach St Thomas

Starz723

Hi there

Ive snorkeled and dived for 35 years all over the Carribean. Im addressing advanced snorkelers for this question. No offense to novices, but what a person just starting out thinks is spectacular is really not to someone like myself and others who have been to outstanding reefs.

Ive already experienced a daysail (out of St Thomas) where they said they would take me to waterlemon key by St John. Its one of my fav places to snorkel while in St John. Then when I boarded I was told they didnt want to sail that far and had just as good of a location. It was lousy to say the least. No reef at all. I saw a grouper that they feed and a turtle. He brought up a conch and a sea cucumber for us to examine. This is great for the novice, but not for me. It was like a bait and switch. Some daysail operators will upfront say they wont sail to Waterlemon. Some say, it depends on the wind. So in the future, I would have to book right out of St John (like Ive dont in the past) & not St Thomas. Im telling you this just in case it any of you want to go there from St Thomas.

Im travelling with a group. They want to go to Coki Beach cause they heard the snorkeling is excellent (they are novice snorkelers). I have never been there because its way too crowded for my liking. But, Ill go with the group.

Has anyone been there that is experienced? Is there an actual reef? What kind of condition is it in. Bleached, dead from people standing on it, Or is it just schools of fish that are used to being fed dog biscuits :eek: (I am totally against this, but what can you do).

Can anyone let me know what to expect and where to swim to? Or is Sapphire better to snorkel, if so, what would I see and how is the reef?

I have gone to Secret Harbor and snorkeled there because its quiet and they have somewhat decent snorkeling by the rocks on the sides of the beach. Nothing I would say excellent to.

This time its to Coki beach.

I really appreciate all answers and suggestions. Thank you.

I don't think I qualify as an advanced snorkeler, but we have been to Coki Beach several times and I can tell you that while there are plenty of fish to be seen, I have never seen fish I haven't seen other places we have snorkeled. It's mostly parrot fish and those yellow/black stripped ones that I can't remember the names of. Here's a link to a few photos I took (week of June 15th) that might give you an idea of what you'll find there. Now I should mention that I stayed close to the rocks and did not venture off into deeper waters so I can't say what is out there.

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/292320690uNwXxO

Sheila

the snorkeling is better than secret harbor.. and if you go around the rocks to the other side towards the aquarium, it is much better snorkeling.. and yes, they do give you dog biscuits to feed the fish.. the novices will think they are in heaven.. and that you are a good sport:D

I guess I could say I'm advanced - snorkeling for 30 years - diving for 10.

RE: Coki - not all that by our standards, nothing special. Coral did look a bit bleached not so colorful - as another poster said a few parrots, grunts & snappers. Cannot compare to say BVI Norman Island, or Great Guana Cay, Abaco, Bahamas. Visibility was decent though.

BTW - whomever is in STT Coki on a Saturday afternoon - they have a church (ladies auxillary kind of thing) sponsored terrfiic "fish-fry" - with home cooked mac-n- cheez, fish, chix, etc - the usual Caribbean good eatin' stuff. One price of like 5-6 max - gets you the dinner, the desert, and a beverage!:D

Hope this helps.

Leah, RN

Archived