Does a "parent" have to sign a kid into Camp Carnival?

KyleesMom

Hey yall. We are hoping to get my sister in law and her family to go on a cruise with us. I know that whoever signs the kids into camp has to be the one to sign them out..so my question is does it have to be a parent or can it be a relative? They were wanting to do an excursion and we were going to stay on the ship while the kids were in camp just in case they needed something..Anyone else ever do this??

Thanks

Tiff

It has to be the parent. Look at it this way, anyone could come claiming to be a "relative" and sign a child in or out of the club, and that could lead to some serious problems. Carnival has that rule for a reason, to protect the children. Wack jobs can travel on cruise ships, so they need to protect everyone.

Darcie, that is not accurate. Carnival allows who ever YOU choose to sign your child out. They allow TWO names to appear on the sign in list. So when I go with my friends, they put one parent's name and MY name.

So if the parents are out on an excursion, or just out dancing, I can sign the child out to go out for pizza with my kids.

So Tiff - YES, your SIL can put YOUR name and her name. Then you can pick up your niece/nephew.

It has to be the parent. Look at it this way, anyone could come claiming to be a "relative" and sign a child in or out of the club, and that could lead to some serious problems. Carnival has that rule for a reason, to protect the children. Wack jobs can travel on cruise ships, so they need to protect everyone.

When my children were in day care or school I would leave a list of all persons who could sign my children out usually our best friend and my sisters or family.

I would think that the cruise ships would have that same format (that you could have signing out privaliges also if you were to go to the kids club with your sister so the crew could put your face to the child being sign out when the parent is not there.

Here's the info directly on Carnival's site:

How do I sign my children in and out of activities?

Children 8 YEARS OLD AND UNDER must be signed into Camp Carnival by a PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN who must be over the age of 18. Authorization for another adult over the age of 18 can be granted to pick up the child only, provided this is done each time you sign in your child. The adult responsible will be required to present his/her Sail & Sign Card each time he/she drops off and picks up the child. For the safety of the children, there are no exceptions to this rule.

Children 9 YEARS OLD AND OVER are free to sign themselves in and out of Camp Carnival as they choose for any time and for any reason. Camp Carnival is not responsible for children 9 years old and over once they have signed themselves out of a Camp Carnival Activity. Children are not permitted to sign themselves out after 10pm. Parents that do not want their 9-11 to sign themselves in & out of our activities MUST sign their child in & out when attending Camp Carnival.

There is no sign in and out policy for the teens 12 – 17 years old. They are free to come and go as they choose

And here's the link for the entire policy.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Camp_Carnival_Program.aspx

The policy posted above was the way it worked on my cruise last December. I always signed my DD in to camp, and I could name one other person each time when I signed her in who would be allowed to pick her up from camp. That one other person was usually my sister instead of my husband. I don't believe that my sister was able to drop-off my daughter at the camp, only pick her up.

I wonder if they they check at sign-in based on cabin number or otherwise? Perhaps not on check in since the real security risk would be at check out. We're taking our niece (with a different last name) and plan to use Camp Carnival. That has to be somewhat common with grandparents and aunt/uncles taking young ones on cruises.

Archived