Norwegian or Princess?

wanderlust1026

My parents (72,75 years old) and my husband, myself and my son (23 weeks at the time) are looking to go on a Mexican Riviera cruise this October 2008. At the moment, there's a good special with Norwegian Cruise Lines (Norwegian Star) for balconies. We have only sailed with Princess are inclined to pay the little bit more. But what attracts me to NCL is not only the special but also that they have a program for kids 2 years and older. I don't believe Princess has programs for that young.

Any advice on which of the two? Should I look into Carnival? Just looking for a couple hours here and there for some adult only time...my parents are too old to watch my son alone so the kids program would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

Between the ages of 2-3, we chose the Carnival Pride because of the kids program. I think their program is even better for kids than Princess, but once my girls turned three, we switched back to Princess since it's mommy's preference. If I were you, I'd look into Carnvial. Many have enjoyed NCL, but if you like Princess, I think Carnival is the next best choice.

Best,

Mia

We took our 2 year old (and 5 year old) on an NCL cruise in January and their kids program (ages 2 -5) was great. Both of them really enjoyed it.

We were on the Dawn, and I don't know anything about the Star, but the discount on the cruise may be made up on onboard spending. NCL has freestyle dining so they have lots of restaurants to choose from, but many of them have at least a $10/pp charge (not the dining room or buffet of course). Freestyle is great for kids though - sometimes a two year old isn't ready for dinner promptly at 6:15 every night.

having sailed NCL- I can say that you will have a good time and your kids will like it. The cabins on NCL are on the small side. Princess cabins are bigger.

Of the two lines there are pros and cons but I prefer NCL over Princess

My parents (72,75 years old) and my husband, myself and my son (23 weeks at the time) are looking to go on a Mexican Riviera cruise this October 2008. At the moment, there's a good special with Norwegian Cruise Lines (Norwegian Star) for balconies. We have only sailed with Princess are inclined to pay the little bit more. But what attracts me to NCL is not only the special but also that they have a program for kids 2 years and older. I don't believe Princess has programs for that young.

Any advice on which of the two? Should I look into Carnival? Just looking for a couple hours here and there for some adult only time...my parents are too old to watch my son alone so the kids program would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

23 weeks at the time of the cruise? Or is he currently 23 weeks? Or do you mean 23 months?

Anyway, my girl was 23 months old for her first cruise, which was on Carnival. A month too young for the kids' program but we didn't have a problem with her being with us the whole time.

Usually if your child is not the minimum age, the cruiselines can (and should be) be strict about letting them participate in the kids' program, even if a week or so under the age limit.

I think freestyle cruising is the best way to go with kids. The flexibility is condusive to the family schedule. I do know from experience that NCL is very strict about the age of children in the kids program. If you have a Birthday while on the ship that moves you in to the next group, you can not switch groups until your Birthday. They did not make any exceptions as far as I know!

We just got off the NCL Spirit a couple of weeks ago and they had great stuff for the under 2 set. Parents had to be with the child, but they had activities for them. On the bright side, my niece had her 2nd birthday on day 6 of the 8 day cruise and she was allowed in the 2-5 yr. group from day 1. I think this was because they had room, so they made the exception. She loved the kids club and it was her first experience away from her parents.

I personally liked Princess the best, but my wife prefers NCL because of the freestyle format. However, when I just booked our sons first cruise, it was NCL all the way. I just can't imagine having to deal with formal night (I don't want to go to the buffet) or a set dining time. I know Princess has anytime dining, but they still have a dress code.

Archived