What luggage would you purchase for Europe Cruise

I'm going to put in vote for a brand most of you have never heard of. Ebags makes their own brand of luggage, it is reasonably priced and of excellent quality. Last fall, I purchased 2 of their Mother Lode Jr duffels. ...

I have never heard of this brand either but I am sold on the value of rolling duffels for long trips. I much prefer one larger bag over two smaller bags. Ours also split into separate compartments are extremely flexible. I would never buy hard sided luggage again. Each member of our family has one and we can easily move though airports, train stations, or cruise terminals without difficulty or needing assistance.

Wow Sherry those sound super great!! I'll check them out as well. Wonderful description on how the bag works.

Thanks,

Marcy

You're welcome Marcy. Ebags ought to pay me a commission...I recommend these bags to everyone who needs luggage. :p

I have never heard of this brand either but I am sold on the value of rolling duffels for long trips. I much prefer one larger bag over two smaller bags. Ours also split into separate compartments are extremely flexible. I would never buy hard sided luggage again. Each member of our family has one and we can easily move though airports, train stations, or cruise terminals without difficulty or needing assistance.

One larger bag is a smarter choice now, since the airlines are charging these ridiculous fees to check in your 1st and 2nd bags. The problem is keeping it to less than 50 lbs...I always weigh mine at home, because I'm a terrible overpacker.

Also, I don't see much of a point in buying luggage sets that have a 4 or 5 different sizes of luggage. With the new baggage restrictions, you're more apt to use 1 large bag anyway, and the small ones don't get much, if any use...unless you're a weekend traveler. I have a 5 piece luggage set that we won (wouldn't have bought it on my own), and we have only used the largest piece and the carry on piece. The rest of the pieces were basically useless to me because of the weird sizes, and I gave them to my parents who use them on short car trips.

I have a collapsible carry-on bag, with small wheels, that I got on a RCCL ship for $30 or $35 dollars last year. (It's kind of like those collapsible fabric shopping bags on wheels, but made nicer.) It folds up pretty small, but is 22" when unfolded. I like to put this in the bottom of a suitcase at the beginning of a trip. If I find I've purchased too many souviniers during the trip, I have an extra carry-on to bring them home in. We usually only take 2 carry-ons for 3 people, so we're still "legal" if we decide to use this bag.

Before investing in any piece, go to a reputable luggage store to be educated on the different types of luggage materials and design. Many people are well meaning, but they cannot make a choice for you and you should not choose based on the experience of others.

Online stores are typically more expensive than luggage stores, especially if you have to pay for shipping. They list their price as "on sale" but many lines are always on sale.

I work in a luggage store, our only competition in the mall is a Macy's and what they charge "on sale" in comparison to our regular, every day price is higher. They also don't have trained personnel and will have limited stock to choose from. Just be aware of the features on every piece you look at, a qualified luggage store employee can tell you the difference so you can make a wiser choice.

The Heys looks interesting, I've only seen it in pictures. I've wondered how it would stand up to a more well made polycarbonate, like Rimowa, or Brics. The Heys is a plastic blend, they add ABS to the mix. The pieces are coated with a glaze, Rimowa is 100% polycarbonate and the piece is the same color throughout, if it is scratched, it's supposed to be in the same color. I have a feeling we could sell plenty of the Heys, since it is so inexpensive in comparison. A lot of people really price shop instead of quality shop when it comes to luggage.

Before investing in any piece, go to a reputable luggage store to be educated on the different types of luggage materials and design. Many people are well meaning, but they cannot make a choice for you and you should not choose based on the experience of others.

Online stores are typically more expensive than luggage stores, especially if you have to pay for shipping. They list their price as "on sale" but many lines are always on sale.

I work in a luggage store, our only competition in the mall is a Macy's and what they charge "on sale" in comparison to our regular, every day price is higher. They also don't have trained personnel and will have limited stock to choose from. Just be aware of the features on every piece you look at, a qualified luggage store employee can tell you the difference so you can make a wiser choice.

The Heys looks interesting, I've only seen it in pictures. I've wondered how it would stand up to a more well made polycarbonate, like Rimowa, or Brics. The Heys is a plastic blend, they add ABS to the mix. The pieces are coated with a glaze, Rimowa is 100% polycarbonate and the piece is the same color throughout, if it is scratched, it's supposed to be in the same color. I have a feeling we could sell plenty of the Heys, since it is so inexpensive in comparison. A lot of people really price shop instead of quality shop when it comes to luggage.

This is good advice HappyKS. It always pays to be well educated about any large purchase, whether you research it yourself, or have a pro educate you.

I considered buying the Heys hardside last year, but backed off after I read a bunch of reviews on it at Ebags.com. It seems that the soft zipper portion is a huge liability...lots of people were having problems with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I so totally agree with the black luggage thing! Mine is black and has been a nightmare to identify in the past. I borrowed someone else's idea and started tying ribbons and using colored duct tape to identify it. If I had thought about it, I would have purchased a different color. My niece has a neon, hot pink set that really stands out in a crowd.

Archived