I am sorry if this has been covered before, but what is the tipping protocol for Italy, Spain, France, and Croatia? I know Croatia is the only stop that does not use Euros. But when and how much is customary? It is going to be hard enough with the money conversions for us, but then also trying to tip when we are supposed to and not to little, or not way over.

Tipping for what? Porters? Waiters? Tour guides?

Euros are quite acceptable in Croatia for tipping, so if you don't want to worry about Kuna, euros will work fine.

Paul

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but what is the tipping protocol for Italy, Spain, France, and Croatia? I know Croatia is the only stop that does not use Euros. But when and how much is customary? It is going to be hard enough with the money conversions for us, but then also trying to tip when we are supposed to and not to little, or not way over.

Yes this subject has been covered in GREAT detail,and maybe someone will post the link,but if not just use the 10% rule IF the service charge has NOT been added to the bill or just round up a few Euro if the service was really good.You will be fine.

In restaurants in Italy and Spain for a say a bill of 100 euros I would not leave more that a couple of Euros, unless the service was out of this world. The service is included in the bill (even if you don't see anywhere in the menu that it says so). You will not see any table occupied by local people leave more that a few coins as tip.

For bellboys I tip like I would in the US, depending of the number of suitcases, etc.

What would be the right amount to give as a tip for a cab ride to Rome that is 50 euro, and a trip to the port that is 150 euro? Do we go by our American 20%, or is 10% really ok? I heard that in Europe, Europeans usually do not tip, but it is more expected from Americans. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sure they expect it from Americans, because we have made them used to that! Everytime we go to Europe, I have an argument with my husband about this.

With cabs I vary. If they have added supplements for suitcases, etc. I tip them very little , certainly no more than 10%! A limo service for 150 euros I would probably give him 10 Euros. 20%???!! That's uncalled for.

Archived