Beginners diving in Grand Cayman

sross6019

I wonder who is left after the hurricane. There were many dive operators prior to the storm. I would stick with a ship excursion now. Don Foster's was pretty much the largest dive operation. Never dealt much with Don Foster's so I cannot comment on quality of service. Biggest doesn't always mean best. The diving in the Caymans is phenomenal though!

There you have 2 opposing opinions. One for the private operator and one for going with the ships excursion.

There are also several dive shops in Georgetown, at least 2 of which are close to where the tenders dock and close to the Eden Rock dive site. They are:

Both of which offer the discover scuba/resort course. I would bet that both are less expensive than the ship's excursion./

Not exactly, Bruce. I would normally agree and recommend an independant operator. Eden Rock for example. I am just not sure if it is the best idea RIGHT NOW, considering the devastation of Grand Cayman. Is Cayman even accepting cruise passengers again/yet?

I heard that Grand Cayman is opening back to cruise ships at the end of October. As far as dive ops, booking through the ship for a newbie isn't a bad idea anyway. The dive ops that service the cruise ships seem to understand that many of these divers are "vacation divers" so offer more support and supervision. Depending on sross and son's abilities, they might be more comfortable with a very supported dive.

Now, that said, they could also contact a dive op privately and let them know they are newbies and probably get the same attention as from the cruise dive op. However, I do agree that in this case booking through the ship is a good idea. With the problems at GC, there is a huge margin for cancelation, or a shortened shore time IMO, and booking with the cruise ship will ensure you'll either dive AND get back to the ship on time, OR get your money back for a canceled excursion.

In this case, better safe than sorry.

Hello, thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have dove several times with Eden Rock, once with a non-certified diver, they had a good resort course, the DM was patient, and the dive was fun. Their dives are usually very close to the dive shop, and best of all, you can see the dive shop from the ship, so once you get off the tender, it's a 5 minute walk, or less. Hope this helps. john

Hilary and BullinOhio do present some valid points in favor of using the ship's excursion for the near future. I would still probably opt for one of the eden rock operators over the ship's excursion, but that is just me. It is close enough to the tender dock to easily get there and back without having to use motor transportation.

For what it is worth, Neptunesdivers doesn't charge you if your ship doesn't stop in GCM.

As for will the island be ready when the ships return, I doubt it, but because some many depend on the cruise passenger money, the govt. will probably open the port before the whole island is ready. Georgetown will probably be good to go before they do start letting the ships back.

Here is a link from Cayman Island Realty, a Coldwell Banker agency: http://www.caymanislandsrealty.com/ivanreport3.htm It describes a pretty grim picture of how things are going.

While it appears that it will be a while until the hotels return to full operation, it looks like most restaurants, attractions, dive shops, gas stations and stores are open or soon will be. The island appears to be making a concerted push to be ready for Thanksgiving week cruises. Updated status of various businesses can be found here: http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/projections.htm

Keith and Casey from Neptunes Divers paint a fairly bright picture. They have power and expect to begin diving this month. They assess the diving on their website:

"All of the popular dive sites on the North, West and East walls are confirmed to be in excellent condition, as well as Stingray City and Sandbar. Significant movement of sand along the ocean floor has been reported, making many of the popular dive sites different and in most cases even more spectacular and dramatic than before. Some reef damage has been reported along the South side of the island, however this is an area that is not often frequented by divers."

We're looking forward to our dive with them in February.

We did dive a ship's excursion with Don Foster's a few years ago and it wasn't terrible--not great but not terrible. First dive was a wreck where the DM's sort of checked everyone out. Second dive was either with a DM or on your own if they thought you were OK. Probably 15-20 people with 3 DMs on a large boat with plenty of room.

Leo & Kathi

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember right, all Cayman dives are guided dives. This makes it a little safer for new divers. Also, all Cayman dives require the use of a computer. Make sure the dive shop thoroughly explains the use of the computer.

If I remember right, all Cayman dives are guided dives. This makes it a little safer for new divers.

Maybe all dive operators offer guided dives, but that doesn't mean that you have to follow the guide. More than a few will let more experienced divers do their own dive. I agree that following the guide is safer for new divers.

Also, all Cayman dives require the use of a computer.

I have a hard time believing this to be true. Does that mean that the dive operator will supply you with a computer if you don't already have your own, or do they not let you dive if you don't have a computer?

Thanks Bruce. That was some bogus info posted about the dive computers. You do not have to have a dive computer; AND if you are only diving two tanks for a one day stop they are not needed in the Caymans. On your first dive you would run out of air long before nitrogen comes into play and the second dive you MIGHT only get an extra ten minutes bottom time with a computer. THEY DO NOT REQUIRE COMPUTERS.

As for all dives being guided... Anything beyond 60' is guided unless you are an advanced diver/divemaster. Tourists are generally not taken beyond 100' (there are exceptions depending on your situation/experience). Up to 60' (second tank) you are free to roam with a buddy. These are the Cayman dive ops generally accepted dive policies. That being said, if you are new to Cayman diving GO GUIDED ON BOTH DIVES. You will have better/more fun dives.

Someone suggested a dive op on the east end. TOO FAR!

That was some bogus info posted about the dive computers. You do not have to have a dive computer; THEY DO NOT REQUIRE COMPUTERS.

Tourists are generally not taken beyond 100'

OK, I stand PARTIALLY corrected. It has been quite a while since I dove the Caymans.

In December 1996, the Cayman Islands Watersports Operators Association revised the safety guidelines for diving in the Caymans. Here are a couple of excerpts:

Unguided wall dives - From Boats

Operators may elect to allow customers to do unsupervised wall dives with their buddies, provided they meet the following criteria:

dive_flag.gif They must have done a proficiency dive with a divemaster.

dive_flag.gif Prove that they understand basic navigation techniques.

dive_flag.gifThey must dive in a buddy team and each member of the team must have a dive computer and understand computer diving techniques.

dive_flag.gif They must agree to adhere to the depth limitations established by the CIWOA.

The recommended maximum diving depth limit with scuba customers is 100 fsw. The required maximum depth limit with scuba customers is 110 fsw with an exception made for dive sites on the East End where the maximum limit is 120 fsw.

In August 2003, the maximum depth limit was changed to 130 fsw.

The complete list of guidelines can be found at:

http://www.divecayman.ky/divemaster/safety.asp

Sorry I ruffled your feathers Teamfour. MY MAIN POINT IS, don't go out and buy expensive dive computers just for a day stop in the Caymans. If you continue diving, I highly recommend them. Personally, I do not like diving without one (well... "don't like" is too strong, diving is still a blast). I also stand by my recommendation to do guided dives on this trip. Guides/Divemasters know where the "good stuff" is.

Teamfour, the OP was inquiring about her 13 y/o son and husband that are new to diving. IMHO, it would be bad advice (understatement, more like crazy advice) for them to spend a lot of money on computers to go unguided at 60-100' on a wall in the Caymans for a one day stop.

BullinOhio, no ruffling or offense taken!:) I just remember when I dove the Caymans back in the mid '90s, I read somewhere (maybe a dive mag) that computers were required. I even went out and bought an Orca Marathon:eek: I guess the regs have lightened up a bit, or I just subconsiously wanted a computer:rolleyes:

Now that I recall, my second dive was unguided. The lady who was my buddy was an experienced diver as was I, but all we did was go back and forth on Tabletop. I think guided dives are a good idea here for those who have never been to a specific dive site.

Thanks for alerting me to the changes in diving the Caymans. I learned something.

• 2 weeks later...

Explorer of the seas used in Grand Cayman RED SAIL divers and put all divers mixed with new and advanced divers and then they cut our time to 20 minutes on a 70 feet dive and when we saw a Tortle we was blocked from going near it, we got a view from about 130 feet, then they said Royal caribbean sets the profiles of the dives.

I recommend your dive with FOSTERS they are just 2 blocks or less, to the left as you walk of the terminal, they know how to profile a diver new and advanced they know very well who is good and who needs to be help and watched,I feel bad that I made that error and hope you don't.

As far as getting back to the ship on time there is plenty of time if you stay near the terminal all operators know you are from the ships.

CANCUNSPY

Archived