Mariner, Asia, report for Fred, The Dog

sable1

Greetings Fred,

You asked for feedback on our Seward to Hong Kong cruise and I wrote a very long report this morning, but I pressed the wrong button. So I will try again with my fingers crossed. And how was your cruise in August?

As you are previous RSSC cruisers, I don't have to reiterate how exceptional the food, service, suites. etc. are.

There was one housekeeping area I noticed which will probably be addressed by your cruise next year as the ship is going into dry dock in Dec. The desk chair in our suite had a very obvious 2 inch rip on the seat. We had the chair removed to give us more room and when it was returned on the last day, the rip was still there. If I had never been on the Mariner and heard how wonderful everything was, I would possibly been a little disappointed in the upkeep of the furnishings. But all should be taken care of in Dec.

The weather was wonderful, one or two days of rain, but not on port days.

I took a fleece jacket and angora sweater set for the Great Wall, but it was so nice I was stripping off all my layers to my shirtsleeves. When we were there before, the wind was so biting cold I was miserable. So I guess, bring layers just to be prepared.

There was a shuttle bus for ports where were docked out of town or there was no public transportation. Even had shuttle to the Friendship store in Shanghai which was then a short walk to the Yuan Garden and market and Bund. Radisson does it right.

We didn't take the ship's tours because we prefer to go on our own. But from what I heard, people were satisfied, didn't hear complaints.

I don't know if you have chosen a suite location yet, but I can offer some insight on POrt vs. Starboard. We were on Starboard which was working well for the ports in Alaska and Japan as far as having something to look at while docked. Then when we got to Shanghai, the best view of the skyline at night was from Portside. Very picturesque. Also, in Hong Kong if you are on deck 10 or 11, aft , Portside you have a nice view of that skyline. Maybe this isn't that important to you, but just thought I'd mention it.

There was a glitch with the local police in Tianjen (sp?) after the ship was cleared. I guess they wanted their payoff too. Anyway, we were delayed getting off for the Beijing tour for about 2 hours, can't remember exactly. Therefore, were late getting to Beijing, got to the Imperial Palace about 45 minutes before they closed. Only got a quick rushed look at the gardens and not in any of the rooms or museums before they closed at 5:00. Very disappointing. Luckily, we had been able to go inside on our previous tour. Don't know if the local pull this all the time. Then went for a short walk in Tienemen Square which was all decorated with lots of flowers and such. Lots of people out, most with digital cameras snapping away. Quite different from when we first saw it 20 years ago! Next checked into the Shangri La which was wonderful. Had a lavish buffet dinner. Also had the option of eating in the chinese restaurant, but John likes buffets. Go Figure. After the wonderful buffet breakfast we were off to the Great Wall. Had about an hour and a half to climb and shop. Lots of venders and it was fun bargaining for my Pashmina shawl. John bought a "Rolex" watch for $2.00. Can't buy the battery for that here, or the band which he will recycle onto another watch when the rolex dies. Had a Chinese lunch at Jade Factory. People were buying lots of things, very beautiful carving. The Ming Tombs were our next stop. Unfortunately, we went to a different entrance than we were at last time where we walked along the Lion path which was very impressive. I guess if I had never been before or didn't know the difference, it wouldn't matter. Don't know why we didn't go the Lion path. The bus to and from the ship is about 3 1/2 hours with a rest stop.

The evening shows were good. We skipped some of the performers' second shows. And the problem with B2B is that the production shows were a repeat. The Video selection hasn't changed much from last year's limited selection. I feel that for the price we are paying, rssc should buy some current Academy Award nominated/winning movies. I put this on my comment card and hope some others did too.

We were very fortunate to have 4 speakers from the British Antiques Roadshow as the enrighment lecturers. I really enjoyed them. They had an appraisal hour also and one lady had a beautifil Kimono that was worth a tidy sum. I don't know if you watch AR, but David Battie is quite a character with a terrific sense of humor. Proves the Brits aren't as straight-laced as sometimes we assume. Very enjoyable group.

What else? I can't think right now. If you want more info., just let me know, I love to talk cruising.

Happy cruising.

Joanne

P.S. Hi to our Trivia pals, Marilyn & Joe and Don & Alene. It was great fun, especially when we won.

Archived