Quaint and hospitable Kodiak AK

mlsenjoyingalaska

:) New to the board, so I don't know how to find the previous threads or comments about Kodiak - so I'll start with my observations. On the Tahitian Princess June 20th - after pulling in, our group boarded the quick shuttle into downtown. Unlike the other cities we will see on the trip (Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan) Kodiak is small, modest and easy to figure out the map for sightseeing - by 11:00 we were done with museums.

Downtown Kodiak surrounds the St. Paul harbor. We came upon a tour desk who provided information about hiking trails, bear viewing and fishing. Everyone in our group (of six) found something they wanted to do and we found ourselves going for it! A guided hike left at 11:30 from the wildlife center, my roommates went fishing (2 halibut & 1 rockfish), and I went bear viewing to Katmai Park. Oh my gosh! 12 brown bears digging for clams and I was so close to them!

We had okay weather which helped and if asked: would I go back to Kodiak to stay longer and explore more - yes, it was a highlight of my trip - thank you Princess lines!:p

Thank you for the insight on Kodiak we are also going on that cruise July 10th and really didn't care for the excursions that they offered there. It is nice to know that we may find something there anyway. Can you give any other insight to that cruise such as Seward and Valdez?

Thanks

Tell us more about those bears. How did you get there and who took you? I'd love to see them. We are also going on the Tahitian Princess on July 10 and would love to know all about your trip. I'll also post this link on our roll call as I'm sure we all would find your experiences fascinating.

What kind of classes are available onboard? I'm especially interested in scrapbooking, but I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Thanks,

Jill

Here I go 'posting a reply to thread'...yes?

It's all very exciting departing on the ship and Vancouver was both confusing and organized. Staff knew their stuff and helpful. Love boat it was!

First stop was Ketchikan: took a city tour, walked the back streets, easy to get around and lots of shops. Great pics for totem poles.

Skagway: my main interest was the White Pass train ride and it was fabulous. 3 hours round trip and I hung out the window for photographs! Oh the snow capped mountains and history!

Valdez: small town and easy to walk. A couple of museums, an interesting video of the 1964 earthquake. People very nice.

Seward: historic for it being the start of itidorard (spelling) dog race, the town is nestled on a sloping hill - slight incline to walk, but easy overall. Quaint architecture and museums.

Juneau: Nice. laid out easy to find the stores and historic portions of the city. I enjoyed taking a city tour and learning more about it being the state capital.

KODIAK: oh my gosh! love it. People are friendly and happy to see the visitors - I guess one would feel like that being straided on an island! Unlike the other cities (tons of shops, amusement ride atmosphere) Kodiak felt like a blue-collar, hard working community without all the glitter. If this a fault of theirs, not sure!

Two things that found my way to viewing bears. A coupon was in the Kodiak tourist magazine (handed out as we left the ship) and in it was a 1-hour scenic flight Island Air Service. That caught my attention. It was at the same time our group passed by the tour desk at the harbor (in the shuttle bus). So we walked back to it and started to inquire. Like I said, there was something for everyone: fishing for halibut/salmon, bear viewing at Katmai (on the mainland), whale watching, hiking on Near Island with a local resident who knew the route and plants. They even had a packet for people to go on a treasure hunt (too much! follow the clues and find a treasure, sorta like geo atlas website).

We were lucky to have gotten off the ship early - as all these things started to depart at 11:00 am. We flew across the island to the mainland and landed in a bay to view the brown bears. Amazing - up close, not more than 50 yards away. Our pilot was our guide and Keller could have been my grandson! but he knew his stuff. We enjoyed a lunch prepared for us. Pros and Cons: yes, it was expensive, but I had heard Kodiak was expensive to begin with and it was a chance at a life long dream. We laughed about the lack of bathrooms - gotta go before one departs and/or be prepared to use a near by rock.

I wish I had more time in Kodiak, but glad the ship was in on time, we got off first time and had a good 7 hours to explore.

mls

You flew across the island to the mainland? Mainland what? Kodiak is all island.

Katmai is islAND across water on mainland

The other viewing of Bears is at Frazer which is in the south of Kodiak Island

Both places are ideal for Bear Viewing depending how early or late you are in the season which reaches its peak normally in August with the return of the salmon

Reason I know this is that we are on 8/7 Tahiti Princess and I have been enquiring of one partcicular company that does these flights.

Not cheap-about $470 pp for 4 hour trip

Lu

Thanks for posting...we are onboard the Tahitian right now (just pulling in to skagway after stunningly beautiful days in Ketchikan and Glacier bay)...Kodiak is the only town we don't have real plans for (other than renting a car), so its good to know it was a highlight for you

Katmai is islAND across water on mainland

The other viewing of Bears is at Frazer which is in the south of Kodiak Island

Both places are ideal for Bear Viewing depending how early or late you are in the season which reaches its peak normally in August with the return of the salmon

Reason I know this is that we are on 8/7 Tahiti Princess and I have been enquiring of one partcicular company that does these flights.

Not cheap-about $470 pp for 4 hour trip

Lu

The Katmai is NOT an island. It is a National Forest and Preserve on the West side of Cook Inlet ON MAINLAND ALASKA.

The coast of the Katmai has excellent bear viewing opportunities once the salmon runs start. In July/September, Brooks Falls is the cliche bear viewing opportunity-the classic picture of bears with salmon in their mouths. Brooks is also IN THE KATMAI.

To get to the Katmai from Kodiak, you must take a plane. There are three or four operators that fly that route. Kingfisher Aviation is probably the most widely known, although there are others. Most tour operators in Kodiak fly to Katmai BECAUSE it is easier to see the bears in Katmai than it is in Kodiak. Most tour companies recommend 2 or three days to see bears in Kodiak. They are not as easily seen as the bears in Katmai. We looked for two days a few years ago. Never did see a bear.

"tell me more about the bears" - we flew with Island Air $495 and it was 4 hours. In researching it, where others only do Katmai National Park for 4 hours and/or the glaciers landing for a total of 5 hours at $580, Island Air combines the two events into 1 trip and 4 hours. (5 hours without a bathroom - ick!)

We got to know our pilot, Keller, who is 3rd generation of pilots and only in his mid-twenties. He carried a survival pack (with a flare gun should it be needed). Overhead, we could see the number of bears below and he landed the floatplane and we waded ashore. What a hoot these wader boots are - water up to the knee - they were needed.

With the tide now 'out', the bears came in to dig for clams. Fresh green vegetation was also their diet. Keller pointed out the boar (male), sow (female), and new born cubs (born in the winter). Taught survival skills very early - the bears seem to adjust to humans being in their habitat.

Took some wonderful photographs with bears up close as much as 50 yards.

Others, I noticed, who posted after mine has cleared up the comment 'flying across the island to Katmai (National Park) on the mainland' so I won't explain that again. It was an hour flight with a portion of it flying from east to west (across the island) and water (now looking on my map the Shelikof Straits) to the mainland of Alaska.

Enjoy your trip - sure wish I could be there with you!

mls

The Katmai is NOT an island. It is a National Forest and Preserve on the West side of Cook Inlet ON MAINLAND ALASKA.

The coast of the Katmai has excellent bear viewing opportunities once the salmon runs start. In July/September, Brooks Falls is the cliche bear viewing opportunity-the classic picture of bears with salmon in their mouths. Brooks is also IN THE KATMAI.

To get to the Katmai from Kodiak, you must take a plane. There are three or four operators that fly that route. Kingfisher Aviation is probably the most widely known, although there are others. Most tour operators in Kodiak fly to Katmai BECAUSE it is easier to see the bears in Katmai than it is in Kodiak. Most tour companies recommend 2 or three days to see bears in Kodiak. They are not as easily seen as the bears in Katmai. We looked for two days a few years ago. Never did see a bear.

OK -I stand corrected-not an Island...

"The Katmai Coast is located 70 miles west of the city of Kodiak. There are several locations that we can visit for bear viewing, depending upon local conditions."

Lu

Thanks for posting...we are onboard the Tahitian right now (just pulling in to skagway after stunningly beautiful days in Ketchikan and Glacier bay)...Kodiak is the only town we don't have real plans for (other than renting a car), so its good to know it was a highlight for you

Hey, I think you will be in Seward on Thursday this week. Just wanted to let you know that the big mountain right behind town is called Mt. Marathon. Yesterday there was a black bear running across the mountain, about 1/2 way up. I spoke with someone who saw the bear on Saturday, also, so he must be hanging out. Keep a close eye on the mountain, and you must may see him!

thanks to all who were able to clarify "the island"... Kodiak, the 2nd largest island, kinda gets lost in translation THE ISLAND.

My only recommendation is to try to be first off the boat and onto a shuttle into downtown. After a brief explaination of things at the visitor center (where the bus stops) we walked down to the harbor and found the tour desk. Can't miss it.

While everyone was standing there we overheard every tour had to start by 11:00 to assure the pilot/captain/hiker guide to get us back in time for the ship. Island Air was helpful, after the bear viewing flight, the driver took us back to the ship.

Yes, its expensive...the whole nation is being hit with the increase in oil prices, but the experience is priceless! (isn't that a TV commercial??)

mls

Hi - 2 of us are hoping 4 of you might be interested in sharing a tour with us in Kodiak for Friday August 1st from 8 - 3. We will be coming in on the Tahitian Princess. The tour includes a light breakfast and a gourmet lunch abord a 42' boat - goes out to Long Island - raft to the beach - go on a gentle hike and take pics - (Marion is a professional photographer and master gardener- check website for her credits - Marty is a harbor master. Don headlamps and tour the WW11 bunker region - see puffins, eagles, sea lions - tour includes a mini photograhy workshop. If you have allergies or special events please reveal. Cost is $250.00 per person. Sounds great to us! See more details at Gally Gourmet Day Trips - hope to hear from you! Wendy and Dave

Hey, I think you will be in Seward on Thursday this week. Just wanted to let you know that the big mountain right behind town is called Mt. Marathon. Yesterday there was a black bear running across the mountain, about 1/2 way up. I spoke with someone who saw the bear on Saturday, also, so he must be hanging out. Keep a close eye on the mountain, and you must may see him!

Cool! We will be there tomorrow, and will be sure to scan the mountain with our spotting scope:)

When coming into Kodiak, we could see the ship was not docking very far away from the town. We took the shuttle so that we could get our bearings and after seeing just how close it was, some of the group walked back to the ship at the end of the day.

It is less than a mile from downtown and as one gets off the ship, one exits the gated fence (commercial warehousing on right) - stay to the right (same level as the dock and don't climb the hill to the upper street). The street eventually becomes (let me look at the map) Shelikof Street. The bus travels the same route.

Hope this helps.

mls

I spotted him (her) early this morning as we pulled into town...and I never would have known to look if you hadn't posted. Thanks for the heads up!

I have to agree that Kodiak is a very friendly and authentic port. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with us so we were not able to arrange a bear viewing flight, but did stick with our original plans and rented a van for the day. There is an excellent and detailed driving guide, and we had some great bird watching and enjoyed the very different landscape on our way to fossil beach (where we did find some fossils).

Archived