I just realized why I don't care what others wear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailorgirlseattle viewpost.gif

I think this is probably the crux of the "problem" here .. some folks view clothes as a functional covering of the body, while others seek the aesthetics of clothing, or "fashion." Neither is wrong, just different sides of the same coin.

Yes, except that this is a fashion forum. If you don't care then why particpate in a discussion with people who do care?

If my preference was to drink cheap wine from a cardboard box, I wouldn't join a discussion on a wine forum and tell them that it all tastes the same to me, so why are they discussing the differences between Malbec and Pinot Noir?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that all aren't welcome here. And we know that many wander over here from another CC section with just a question or two and then decide to stick around for other things such as places to shop, makeup tips, and other sundry and useful discussions. That's fine and I'm always happy to hear another POV. But, if someone is a "clothing doesn't matter to me" kind of person, then perhaps participating in a discussion with people who do care doesn't really make much sense?

It makes sense in the fact that this particular thread was started by someone who said they DIDN'T care what others wore. The majority of posters in this thread do care, but this thread appears to be started to talk about why someone doesn't care. Canadian Twosome brought up how they never really noticed what people were wearing on a cruise because people don't really dress up in her community. It started out with "I don't notice" and morphed into "I notice".

I think sailorgirlSeattle hit it right: Function vs. Aesthetics. Both are just fine.

I've got one question for you SailorgirlSeattle.................Are you a "socks and sandals" girl? It's a Pacific Northwest thing........................

But seriously, anyone with cleavage down to "here" and a slit up to "there" is dressing to get attention, and can't be upset when they get it.

Now I'm NOT saying YOU were dressed like that. (let's not go there!). But in general, some people dress in "look at my body" clothes and then get upset when people do. :)

I agree exactly. If one doesn't want the attention, looks, stares or comments, be a little more discreet.

Not pointing a finger at any individual here. Another "in general" statement.

It seems (to me) this thread is moving along exactly as it should.

When any question is asked: "Do You - (such n such)", it is wide open for the yes I do, or no I don't along with an explanation.

But seriously, anyone with cleavage down to "here" and a slit up to "there" is dressing to get attention, and can't be upset when they get it.

Now I'm NOT saying YOU were dressed like that. (let's not go there!). But in general, some people dress in "look at my body" clothes and then get upset when people do. :)

As I stated earlier I'm used to attracting attention; I can go to the grocery store in running shoes, track pants and a baseball cap and still get looked at just because of my height, so it's not the looks that bother me it's the rudness and cattiness of others and I'm sorry to say it but it's mostly coming from other women.

I agree exactly. If one doesn't want the attention, looks, stares or comments, be a little more discreet.

Not pointing a finger at any individual here. Another "in general" statement.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all, why should I or anyone else for that matter have to change the way one dresses in order to avoid the rudness it brings out in others? Do I need to shrink too because my height isn't the "norm" and draws attention or change the colour of my hair because there are more brunettes out there than blondes. GMAB :rolleyes:

Here's a thought...... maybe some people should learn some manners, stick their eyeballs back in their heads and worry about things that actually matter other than what I'm wearing at the breakfast buffet.:eek:

I apologize for the "rant", I'm not here to start an argument....just wanted to give a point of view from someone who knows first hand what it feels like to be the elephant in the room. :cool:

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all, why should I or anyone else for that matter have to change the way one dresses in order to avoid the rudness it brings out in others? Do I need to shrink too because my height isn't the "norm" and draws attention or change the colour of my hair because there are more brunettes out there than blondes. GMAB :rolleyes:

Here's a thought...... maybe some people should learn some manners, stick their eyeballs back in their heads and worry about things that actually matter other than what I'm wearing at the breakfast buffet.:eek:

I apologize for the "rant", I'm not here to start an argument....just wanted to give a point of view from someone who knows first hand what it feels like to be the elephant in the room. :cool:

It seems you want it all. Most posters here have shown very good manners. There is no "argument" going on - simply thoughts being posted.

Being tall is not the issue at all. It is the attire which the tall person (or anyone) opts to wear.

A person, who is already feeling like "an elephant in the room" opting to wear clothing which calls for more attention to their anatomy, must know that this will cause the "attention getting" mode. Human nature awakens!

The person obviously enjoys the attention, but only wants it on their own terms - Look, but don't make a single comment, nod, or even smile!

That is not the way of things.

What is the object of flaunting anything if one is not expecting some response - either visual, or verbal?

Most of us understand when we are doing anything which will bring attention to ourselves, and know what kind of attention that will be, depending upon the situation.

And, most of us are ready to receive the attention in whatever manner it is dealt.

We do not have a choice in how other people will see or interpret our actions, attire, or words.

We simply cannot have it both ways.:confused: :)

It makes sense in the fact that this particular thread was started by someone who said they DIDN'T care what others wore. The majority of posters in this thread do care, but this thread appears to be started to talk about why someone doesn't care. Canadian Twosome brought up how they never really noticed what people were wearing on a cruise because people don't really dress up in her community. It started out with "I don't notice" and morphed into "I notice".

I don't know if this makes any difference in how this thread has morphed or not but the OP originally posted this thread on a particular cruise line's board.

I'm not sure she was necessarily trying to make a fashion statement, just noting that she didn't care and possibly inferring what someone did or did not wear didn't ruin her cruise. OP can correct me if I'm off base.:)

The mods moved the thread over here. This being a fashion board always brings out great "debates" about what to wear, is it appropriate, what not to wear, what should I wear, what can I wear, etc., etc.;)

As I stated earlier I'm used to attracting attention; I can go to the grocery store in running shoes, track pants and a baseball cap and still get looked at just because of my height, so it's not the looks that bother me it's the rudness and cattiness of others and I'm sorry to say it but it's mostly coming from other women.

:confused: I can't imagine women staring at you simply because you are tall. Maybe I just live in a more "well-rounded" area. We have lots of tall women. No big deal.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all, why should I or anyone else for that matter have to change the way one dresses in order to avoid the rudness it brings out in others? Do I need to shrink too because my height isn't the "norm" and draws attention or change the colour of my hair because there are more brunettes out there than blondes. GMAB .

Here's a thought...... maybe some people should learn some manners, stick their eyeballs back in their heads and worry about things that actually matter other than what I'm wearing at the breakfast buffet.

I apologize for the "rant", I'm not here to start an argument....just wanted to give a point of view from someone who knows first hand what it feels like to be the elephant in the room.

Frankly I doubt anyone is "worrying" about what you are wearing at the breakfast buffet, unless you are attired in such a manner that is toally inappropriate for a public dining area and would cause one to cover their childrens' eyes. But on a cruise ship, that pretty much means just cover up your swimsuit and everything else goes. :p

As far as people "sticking their eyeballs back in their heads" , sorry, that will never happen. I do think that you seem oversensitive to this. :o If you are dressing in such a manner as to attract unwanted attention, then the only thing that can change that is you. People are people, and it is human nature to look at something when it is not what is expected, or different from the everyday. I can easily attract "stares" if I dressed in a manner to do so. And if I did, the looks would not bother me a bit. I have never experienced cattiness or rude comments from other women, in any outfit, so I cannot imagine why you do. Again, perhaps it's just a geography thing. We have plenty of elephants here too. :rolleyes:

I disagree with you HSM, I think there are a lot of people that worries, notices, and objects to what she may have been wearing or what eveyone is wearing.

I would agree on one thing, if she or anyone else was was hanging out, showing through:o or just simply bare then that is cause to maybe cover the babies eyes.

But if no one cared, worried, or noticed why do you think there are several on here that constantly complain about what others wear in the dining room or the buffet? So in all respect I think you and some others are contradicting yourselves.

And if you still stand by what you are saying then why have you and several others complained about the attire of others that may have been in clothing that you and others have deemed inappropriate? ;)

OK, I must be the oddball.:o

But, it still would bring a little joy to this old heart to see folks take a little pride in how they present themselves at certain times. Some dress styles are simply not appropriate at certain times.

Just me, I guess, but my eyes still observe, and what I see registers well.:)

It's not just you. lol Thank you for saying what I always think - have a little pride in your appearance. The French take it a bit too far - wearing high heels to push a stoller over cobblestone streets, but they get it.

Even if I'm just going to the convenience store, I don't need to see someone in ratty sweatpants, a tank top undershirt and slippers. I see that and I don't want to get too close because I'm afraid they haven't showered in a few days. :D

Like it or not, people make judgments based on appearance, and I think most of us would be suprised in the difference between what we think we present to the rest of the world and what they actually see.

Just my 2 cents.

I want to add what happened to a friend of mine, a married man about 55. He is an entertainer, mostly singing, so he needs to network and schmooze and whatever to get jobs. One late night when he was single, he's working on his house in old paint stained clothes and decides he'll go food shopping while the store is empty in his grubby clothes (which he never does). Don't you know someone recognized him, and it was someone my friend was wanting to do business with. He said all he could think was, "Crap! Why didn't I take 5 minutes to change into something else! What a great impression I must have made." lol

I disagree with you HSM, I think there are a lot of people that worries, notices, and objects to what she may have been wearing or what eveyone is wearing.

I would agree on one thing, if she or anyone else was was hanging out, showing through:o or just simply bare then that is cause to maybe cover the babies eyes.

But if no one cared, worried, or noticed why do you think there are several on here that constantly complain about what others wear in the dining room or the buffet? So in all respect I think you and some others are contradicting yourselves.

And if you still stand by what you are saying then why have you and several others complained about the attire of others that may have been in clothing that you and others have deemed inappropriate? ;)

How am I contradicting myself? The breakfast buffet is about as casual as it gets. Who here has indicated that they are concerned with that?? I have not, and I don't believe anyone else has either. And I am certainly not talking about "noticing". There is a huge difference in "noticing" and "rudeness". Don't you tihink? I absolutely stand by what I said. In all respect to you, I do think you have misread my post. I may have thoughts about what is inappropriate, (we all do on this board, obviously!! :D) But attracting such blatant negative attention is foreign to me, and that was the point of my post.

Archived