DVDs sold on QV 2008 World Cruise

ColumbiaSC

I have received the following electronic communication from a friend in England, who was a passenger on the 2008 World Cruise of the Queen Victoria from Soton to Sydney, where she joined the QE2 for the remainder of her 2008 World Cruise:

"I have at last taken the Queen Victoria D.V.D I bought on the ship to HMV in town to ask why it won't play on my DVD player and they said it isn't suitable for England or Europe but only to be played in U.S.A. so that has made me furious, and I am sending it back to Cunard to ask for my money back and why they are such con artists to sell them on a world cruise knowing that the English purchasers will never be able to play them when the cruise is over. It is such a blatant con trick that I would put it up on a web site to warn everyone if I knew of one where Cunard is viewed."

I post this simply as a way to communicate what she perceives to be a problem. I know nothing otherwise about the details, so I can have no further information to offer.

Hi There ,

Can I possibly step in slightly to Cunards defence , 9 out of 10 of all dvd players sold now will be set to region 0 . This means in effect that they will play a dvd from all regions from around the world . Perhaps your machine is not quite as new as Cunard expected you to have , but all modern players will play their dvd .

However in your defence , I agree ... they should have stated what region this dvd was playable in and I am surprised that this was not on display when you purchased it .

( or was it ? )

Stephen, thank you very much for your quite sensible and senstive reply! You know about these matters, and I will pass along your comments to my friend in England. Yes, it is more than possible that her "machine" has some age on it. LOL. She is a Grand Lady and loves to get her dander up.

DK

Archived