Another Heathrow to Dover Q - Elevators?

Jana

I could sure use some help.

I walk with a rollator, a contraption that looks like a walker with big wheels and a seat. I will have it with me when I arrive at Heathrow; both of my bags fit on the seat, making it easy for me.

My question is, if I wanted to take the train to Dover, are there elevators at the origination point, the transfer point or at Dover Priory? An escalator won't work and stairs are out of the question.

I'd much rather do the train than a coach but I need to know about accessibility first. Does anyone know where I might enquire if I can't get the answer here?

Thanks!

Jana

Maybe someone living in the UK can offer you some encouragement, but from our previous travels, I think you might be looking at a very difficult trip considering your situation.

First of all, no train goes direct (non-stop) from Heathrow to Dover. The tube must be taken into London, where you would need to transfer to a rail station for a continuation to Dover.

The tube and to some degree the British trains do not have any assistance for disabled travelers - getting on and off would be challenging. In addition, you will no doubt have luggage to contend with.

I would encourage you to reconsider trying to take public transport and instead look at a private mini-van. Your trip to Dover would be non-stop, you would have assistance in entering and leaving the van and help with the luggage.....

You should be able to get from Heathrow to Paddington Station OK by train but then you'll have to cross London to Charing Cross or Victoria by cab. The subway or buses just won't work for you. Once at Charing Cross or Victoria you will be assisted getting on the train. At Dover you'll be assisted too off the train to the station entrance. The port is a short cab journey away.

Trains in England aren't wonderful for people needing help but they aren't impossible either. Staff are generally very willing.

Even allowing for the cab from Paddington you will save a packet compared to taking a taxi from Heathrow.

Have you considered the cruise line's shuttle bus?

I can confirm that there are definitely elevators at Dover Priory station, if that's a help for you, and it was no trouble getting through the station to where the cabs were located. They were charging a flat fee of 7 pounds to the cruise ship terminal when I did my Baltic cruise a few weeks ago.

Thank you ALL!

I am not so disabled that I need the device constantly, thank heavens, I use it so I can walk long distances. The thing is, I am alone and it is an awkward item, perfect for pushing my two bags along as they will be on the seat, but it can't go on an escalator.

My daughter and I were at Gatwick the last time; I didn't have a rollator then, but all I can remember is the steep escalators we had to manage with our bags to get to the train to Victoria.

I've changed my flight to arrive a day early and the ship's shuttle only goes on day-of. OK, so I can take a National Express shuttle bus with a transfer in London or rent a one-way car with a big drop charge. I don't want to take the risk of getting to the train station and not being able to make it to the tracks! (The worst, worst, worst --and I didn't have the rollator yet there, either-- was Civitavecchia. OMG, never again!)

Thank you, everyone!

Jana

Archived