Purchase of Snorkeling Tube and Mask

vanclan

OK you've convinced me of the wisdom of buying my own snorkel and mask. Making our first cruise....had hoped to snorkel in Grand Cayman but now that destination is uncertain. Don't know when we will be back in the Caribbean again. That's why I hesitated to buy my own. How much should I expect to pay for snorkel and mask. I've tried our Walmart etc....but we live in Canada....and it is NOT the season to buy that sort of thing...none available. Is there a good place ( not too expensive) in Fort Lauderdale to pick them up. we're staying on 17th street. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!

If you don't have a local dive shop, you should try online search for dive shops. The basic mask and snorkel that you find at a discount supermarket, is not the same quality you find dive shops stocking. Either way it's difficult to pick a mask that fits well without trying it on.

I just paid $116.00 for a mask and snorkel at a Dive shop here where I live. The snorkel was $26.00 and is a dry snorkel so that if you go underwater no water gets in the snorkel. And it has a purge valve if any does. The mask was $90.00 and has a purge valve on the left side of it in case water gets in it. I decided to go that route because I took the mask in and got my prescription put in it so that I can see underwater. I felt that was safer than trying to wear contact lenses while snorkeling. That was another $60.00 if anyone's interested in that price.

As it's your first time I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them. See if there's a dive shop around you, and if not, wait till you get to the tropics. It's hard to buy a mask without trying on. Fit is everything. Put the mask on your face without the strap and suck your breath in. If the mask stays on, then it's good. Buy the cheapest that fits. I'd think $40-50 would be enough, but as I haven't bought one recently, I might be off. But don't get talked into buying extra features. Buy $100 mask when you get serious about snorkeling. It goes same for snorkel. You don't need fancy features. As long as it's comfortable in your mouth, that's fine. I'd think $20US or so would do. Just make sure both mask and snorkel aren't too big for your face.

Have you decided on gettting your own mask and snorkel yet? Can tell you that I am so happy I have my own. Have snorkled several times with friends who were using the "rentals" on shore excursions. They spent more time clearing the water out of their masks that leaked (or in some cases poured) in than they spent enjoying the wonders below the surface. I bought mine years ago at a local dive shop. Bought the low end one that fit! Perfect! and Reasonable! Depending on where you are in Ontario- I know a Dive Shop in St Catherines and several here in the Buffalo NY area- You are welcome to email us if you want any info (addresses or phone numbers).

S & J

cruisehappy@buffalo.com

40 days till our cruise!!!!

When you buy the mask, you might also buy a hard case for it. I had bought a mask and it made several trips successfully. Then we got to the Barrier Reef, and found it had cracked. I thought I had packed it in a safe enough spot but it wasn't. Now that luggage can be opened for searching and may not be repacked perfectly, there is proabably a bit more risk of damage.

I agree with what others have said about the masks at places like Wal-Mart. The cheapest masks often aren't made of materials that get a good seal to your face - especially after they age a bit. I bought one of the cheapest masks at the dive store and that worked fine until it got cracked.

OK you've convinced me of the wisdom of buying my own snorkel and mask. Making our first cruise....had hoped to snorkel in Grand Cayman but now that destination is uncertain. Don't know when we will be back in the Caribbean again. That's why I hesitated to buy my own. How much should I expect to pay for snorkel and mask. I've tried our Walmart etc....but we live in Canada....and it is NOT the season to buy that sort of thing...none available. Is there a good place ( not too expensive) in Fort Lauderdale to pick them up. we're staying on 17th street. Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!
Not sure if you'll have a car, or a way to get around, but Diver Direct has one of their superstores just south of the airport in Fort Lauderdale. Here's their location website - http://www.diversdirect.com/stores/dania.php

About anything you could want for diving & snorkeling .... and I think prices are pretty good as well. You can check out some of their on line stuff to give you some ideas ....

We went with dry snorkels, saves swallowing a lot of water when you lean your tube back too far! And a good fitting mask is a must - but that doesn't mean the price has to be outrageous. We bought fairly decent equipment for snorkeling on cruises which after a few years led to diving on cruises ... so you just never know where you'll end up!

We got our own snorkels and masks for our past March cruise and glad we did. We just went to the local dive shop and tried the masks on. If you put them up to your face after taking a breath and hold the mask on your face then it fits. I tried numerous ones on before finding one that actually fit and felt good. I'm glad I did cause my mask never leaked either! I believe we spent maybe 50.00 for the mask and snorkel. It is alittle bit more then the cheap walmart ones but it sure makes a difference!

• 3 weeks later...

Would someone please check out the snorkel/mask set at LLBean and let me know if it looks like it would work? I don't see where it is a dry snorkel. Are you saying that as soon as you go under the water deeper than the snorkel you will get a mouthful of water?

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=36644&sc1=Search&feat=sr

As long as the mask fits your face, that should be a good set at a phenomenal price. U.S. Divers is usually good equipment. That is a draining snorkel. Looks like a nice one too (replaceable mouthpiece). Go for it.

I didn't see where it is a replaceable mouthpiece.....where does it say that? That would be great! Also, can you tell if the snorkel closes so that you don't get a mouthful of water? Don't really know what I'm talking about, but read where it's good to have one that closes:-\ This is a whole new sport for us to try. The real test will be if my husband can work out something so that he can see without his glasses!

I didn't see where it is a replaceable mouthpiece.....where does it say that? That would be great! Also, can you tell if the snorkel closes so that you don't get a mouthful of water? Don't really know what I'm talking about, but read where it's good to have one that closes:-\ This is a whole new sport for us to try. The real test will be if my husband can work out something so that he can see without his glasses!

Pejay, I wear glasses as well and love to snorkel. Prior to my last cruise I purchased a mask with corrective inserts and a snorkel from scuba.com. The snorkel was $20, the mask was $40 and each insert was $25. The shipping charge was a little high, but they got it to me within 3 days. I'm sure there's cheaper out there, but the quality was excellent and I had no problems with the equiptment.

You can find snorkels that will not allow water in. If you buy one that has a purge valve at the bottom, it is realitively easy to get the water out.

Archived