Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

Colo Cruiser, that was my first thought on this......the guy must either be new/ready to be done with his contract, or else trying to impress the passengers. Wow. Unless of course, I missed something and corporate office has issued statement to same effect.

I'm sorry I just have to show you this.

It has to do with the new pier in SF. -

This year Princess and Celebrity are doing a few Alaska cruises from here, but the number of ships decreases every year: 87 visits in '06, 60 in '07, 59 in '08, 46 in '09.

The problem is, we're just too far from a major cruise destination. (I've also heard SF charges more than most ports, but that's secondary.)

In order to run a 7-day cruise (what most people want) a ship has to floor it -- which burns a huge amount of fuel, as consumption rate is exponentially related to speed.

And even then, a ship can't make it to the exciting bits of Alaska or Mexico, and have to spend a bunch of time at sea.

:confused: Hmmm?:rolleyes:

Great news but I hope this Officer does not get hammered for giving out this info. :eek:

I agree Colo Cruiser!

Great information, but perhaps the OP could edit the post when

he/she gets back.

Good luck and happy sailing to those who will be on the CB soon!

Just returned today...

I think when you travel on a variety of ships, they all have different feels on the sea, so that sometimes effects how you describe the sail.

For me, since we were going slower than I am used to...it was quite pleasant and only an occasional rolling feeling.

However, in the aft (Carib Dining Area & Terrace Pool area) it did a lot of

what I would describe as shimmying motions. That could just be how the ship always is, but it is what I noticed.

Never did get a consistant response from crew on the "engine/generator" theory of why we changed ports. But most said a generator and that we had to go slower because of that and therefore ports change. Most passengers were saying they felt it was a way to conserve fuel. So take this all for what it is worth.

With that being said...I am on Carnival next month, and lo and behold I have an "engine problem" and port changes again. Hmmm....makes you wonder!

This is my 3rd sailing this year with "engine problems" and port changes! Maybe it's just me!!!!

Just returned today...

I think when you travel on a variety of ships, they all have different feels on the sea, so that sometimes effects how you describe the sail.

For me, since we were going slower than I am used to...it was quite pleasant and only an occasional rolling feeling.

what I would describe as shimmying motions. That could just be how the ship always is, but it is what I noticed.

Never did get a consistant response from crew on the "engine/generator" theory of why we changed ports. But most said a generator and that we had to go slower because of that and therefore ports change. Most passengers were saying they felt it was a way to conserve fuel. So take this all for what it is worth.

With that being said...I am on Carnival next month, and lo and behold I have an "engine problem" and port changes again. Hmmm....makes you wonder!

This is my 3rd sailing this year with "engine problems" and port changes! Maybe it's just me!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

As far as saving fuel you would think if that is truely the deal then they would do the same thing on all their other ships? :cool:

PreciousPetal ~

Looking at your siggy and noticed you have 5 2008 cruises ...:eek:

You must be doing something right....:D

Just returned today...

Ahh -- maybe it is you....:rolleyes:..:D

(just kidding)

Maybe it's not a good year to cruise....:o

Hopefully, the other two will have smooth sailings.

LBD,

You deserve a medal for all of the great information you have passed along about your cruise. I, and all of the other folks who will be on the CB in the near future owe you a debt of gratitude.

I have thought for a while that our trip to Canada/NE won't be impacted because the ports are so close to one another. Thanks for the confirmation! :D

Thanks, JandD Mom! That is really nice of you to say! Glad I can help!

And, the officer won't get "hammered" because he was telling me the truth. The captain told me the same thing. I told him I was posting the info and the bridge photo on Cruise Critic and he thanked me.

I agree that this thread has to die. If people can't believe what was told to me by an officer and by the captain, then they won't believe anything but a mass conspiracy!

Thanks, JandD Mom! That is really nice of you to say! Glad I can help!

And, the officer won't get "hammered" because he was telling me the truth. The captain told me the same thing. I told him I was posting the info and the bridge photo on Cruise Critic and he thanked me.

I agree that this thread has to die. If people can't believe what was told to me by an officer and by the captain, then they won't believe anything but a mass conspiracy!

People don't want the truth, they need a subject to complain about and at this particular time on planet Earth GAS prices are the top complaint and therefore it is the problem here and there is not anything you can do or say to change that.

Imagine if all these people that sit here and in the world complaining about gas prices and fuel actually sat down and thought it out?

Why are gas prices high? there is no shortage. there is no increased demand. The oil output has actually increased now that Iraq the #3 or #4 oil exporter is almost 100% back online. For several years Iraq was exporting nothing, yet gas prices barely changed.

That is the conspiracy people should waste their time trying to figure out.

I also had a long conversation this week with an officer in the cigar bar who spoke of the "explosion" of the engine being caught on the video tape that constantly monitors the engine room (among others). They said it was very lucky that no one was in the engine room when the incident happened. Once again, it sure would make sense for Princess to just make it "official" and stop all this "fuel theory" conspiracy comments.

I also had a long conversation this week with an officer in the cigar bar who spoke of the "explosion" of the engine being caught on the video tape that constantly monitors the engine room (among others). They said it was very lucky that no one was in the engine room when the incident happened. Once again, it sure would make sense for Princess to just make it "official" and stop all this "fuel theory" conspiracy comments.

I would tend to believe this turn of events.

But as far as nobody being in the engineroom, highly unlikely. :rolleyes:

I also had a long conversation this week with an officer in the cigar bar who spoke of the "explosion" of the engine being caught on the video tape .....

Did he hint the tape was from the video camera on a tomahawk cruise missile?

We are sailing on the CP September 14th. I don't care if the ship sits dead in the water as long as I am on her, someone is making my bed, cooking my meals, serving me drinks and entertaining me--------I will be in happy land.

The CP is a beautiful ship with a great staff ------------how could you not be happy. Getting to warm? Hop in the pool, grab a DOD and chill out! Who needs air conditioning. Missed a few hours in port...oh well. Go get a massage and pamper yourself instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to see and do it all and stressing yourself out.

Sit back, relax and enjoy.....Princess delivers a great product. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

RIP thread.

We are scheduled for the October 19th 2008 7 days cruise from Ft Lauderdale to the Caribbean. When is the Caribbean Princess going into drydock? Does anyone know if the itinerary will be changed? Has the engines be fixed since they had their earlier problems?

When I called Princess customer service to ask about if they updated their bedding, she told me it is scheduled for drydock, this Dec. 08. Hope that helps you out. I have a co worker who took the same cruise I am taking, July 28th and he said the ship is beautiful and you wouldn't know there is a thing wrong with anything. So I am looking forward to it.

It has nothing to do with whether it is the truth or not, but I doubt the Corporate office appreciates news releases's from onboard one of their ships. :rolleyes:

Archived