post your favorite denali excursion or activity

kirby1200

We have two nights in Denali, with the full day going on the tundra wilderness tour. The long 1/2 days easily are open for a 3-4 hour activity. What do you suggest???

Has anyone done golf?

River rafting?

Or any other local private excursion they recommend?

Thanks, Lisa

I would definitely recommend that you go whitewater rafting on what's called the Canyon Run. I booked this excursion through Royal Caribbean, but I think the tour operator was called ARA, which I think stands for something like Alaska Rafting Adventures but I'm not certain of that.

Definitely go rafting. We used the Denali Outdoor Center and really enjoyed it. They have both a float experience or a Canyon run. I wish we had more in Denali. I would have loved to do some hiking/walking. They have lots of hikes listed on the Denali site from leisure strolls to real hikes. There are also plenty of other activities listed on the Princess wilderness lodge web site. We were sorry that we didn't plan more time there. 2 nights wasn't enough time.

We are in the exact situation. Would love to try rafting. I wonder if you could do it in that half day. If you learn anything please post. I will do the same.

There is a coupon for buy 1 ticket get one free in the tour saver book. We are doing this tour with Alaska Raft Adventures the beginning of September. It starts at 12:00 and ends around 5 - 6 pm. It is two raft tours in one. I thought it was a great deal. They only take one coupon each day so I would call and check to see if your day is still open. I don't have my tour discount book yet but I am ordering one before we leave because they told me to bring whole book with me and they would tear out the coupon. Check out there website. Not sure what it is but you can google it or perhaps someone else on this board knows what it is.

We did a very nice 2 mile or so hike-get the map at the visitors center. Also did the Ranger led Sled Dog Demonstration-very interesting and got to visit a bit with dogs and puppies. Saw sled dogs elsewhere on our cruisetour, but out favorites were in Denali National Park!

If you are staying at the Princess lodge or the Holland America one, there are tour operators, gift shops and restaurants (Salmon Bake!) across the road. We booked the Husky Homestead tour of Jeff King's facilities through Princess and this was EXCELLENT!

Independently, I did a helicopter tour while my dh and dd did an ATV excursion both booked from the tour operators across from the hotel.

Our group arrived at the hotel around noon which gave us the entire afternoon and evening to do whatever we wanted. The next day we had a 7am pick up for the tundra tour. Some had a 6 or 6:30 pick up. They space our the buses so we are not right on top of each other, but you do seem to meet up at the rest stops.

Oh and by the way, the independent tour do pick you up at your hotel. Even at the Canyon Lodge if you are in that building. And there prices were $30-40 per person cheaper than the cruiseline prebooking rates.

You could also go to the Princess tour desk to see if they had any tour openings. They had a few NEW tours that we didn't see ahead of time.

I have a car when in Denali, so drive the road to Savage River in the evening really slow and look for animals. Also I do the 2+ mile trail along the Savage River. I am an avid photographer and have gotten amazing pictures of bear, wolves, caribou, marmots, dall sheep, and fox along this section of the road. Last week a wolf passed by so close to the car I could have rolled down the window and given it a pat on the head! On a clear evening the sunset shots of Denali, the mountains, and the park can be spectacular. If I am up early enough (not usually a problem when camping), then I go again in the early morning before the buses get on the road.

I go to the Salmon Bake in the evenings for a beer and (sometimes) live music. I also like to go to the ranger programs.

I can usually spend three days in Denali for around $100, but I camp, bring a lot of my own food, and have discount shuttle tickets.

Archived