Beaches at Cagliari Sardinia (poetta?)

Our ship will be in port from 9-4:30 PM and I thought it might be a great day for the beach (experience a day in the Med) Truely far is the beach from the port(guide books say 5 km from center of town) and are cabs or buses easily available and reliable?

Anyone done this?

We did this in May. We walked off the ship and down the street to the train station where we purchased a bus ticket. Then walked across the street to a large square where we boarded the bus (PQ I think). The beach shows up in about 15 Min. We stayed on the bus for about 10 more Min. to where the beach was really empty. We were able to rent loungers and the 3 hours on the beach was wonderful. We then had some lunch at a beachside bar/snackshop and caught the bus back to the dock. It was really wonderfully easy and the beach was glorius.

Thank you for the response. 2 Questions. How far was the train station and were there taxi's available?

also we do not speak Italian but my husband is fluent in french and I speak some Spanish...can we get there on our own?

Archived