Underwater Cameras

Hi,

I prefer to use a point and shoot in a hard underwater enclosure vs. using disposables. I know it costs a lot more but you have to make the decision if you want to take snapshots vs. photographs. For example I was in St. John this last week and took the attached picture in 10ft. of water and did some minor color correction in photoshop. :)

Randall

hawksbill_turtle.jpg

Hope my Sealife Reefmaster get pictures like this. Only problem is I have not used it yet and not sure of the settings. Was happy with the pics I got with the disposable but I am some what of a photo buff (my wife says I live behind my camera) now I want to get those better pictures below the water also. It has a Sea mode setting on it that is suppose to adjust for the red being difused in the water but not sure how well it works of if really want to use it. BUt now I will have to make the color adjustments instead of a photo lab.

The Ump

Hope my Sealife Reefmaster get pictures like this. Only problem is I have not used it yet and not sure of the settings. Was happy with the pics I got with the disposable but I am some what of a photo buff (my wife says I live behind my camera) now I want to get those better pictures below the water also. It has a Sea mode setting on it that is suppose to adjust for the red being difused in the water but not sure how well it works of if really want to use it. BUt now I will have to make the color adjustments instead of a photo lab.

The Ump

Hi,

I'm sure you camera will do fine. BTW, I didn't start out taking pictures like I posted, I have a library of about 10 underwater photography books I read and practiced, practiced, practiced. Also remember the underwater photography rule, get closer, closer still and then get even closer. Less water column between you and your subject reduces backscatter and blue. :) I was about 1ft. away from the turtle in 10ft (duck dived down while snorkeling) with just my camera, no strobe. Which bears a mention, if photographing while snorkeling, go to a pool and practice diving down and staying motionless for at least 30 seconds. I have another picture of the turtle I haven't posted where I led him by about 8ft, dove down and hugged the bottom until he swam by (about 1 minute underwater). Being able to stay under, frame your shot and take a picture while being still takes a lot of breath skills. :eek:

As far as settings, I shoot on Program mode in shallow water with ISO200 and no flash. Up to about 15ft. you can eliminate the blue in the water with Photoshop if you get the underwater.atn action (works great but only with Photoshop not Photoshop Elements). I've tried my Canon "underwater" setting but found I had more of an issue getting rid of the extra red I didn't want than getting rid of the extra blue not using this setting. Below 15ft. I use a strobe with the camera in Manual setting (f5.0, 1/90, ISO200, minimal flash (my strobe triggers on flash)).

Good luck and happy shooting,

Randall

Hi,

I'm sure you camera will do fine. BTW, I didn't start out taking pictures like I posted, I have a library of about 10 underwater photography books I read and practiced, practiced, practiced. Also remember the underwater photography rule, get closer, closer still and then get even closer. Less water column between you and your subject reduces backscatter and blue. :) I was about 1ft. away from the turtle in 10ft (duck dived down while snorkeling) with just my camera, no strobe. Which bears a mention, if photographing while snorkeling, go to a pool and practice diving down and staying motionless for at least 30 seconds. I have another picture of the turtle I haven't posted where I led him by about 8ft, dove down and hugged the bottom until he swam by (about 1 minute underwater). Being able to stay under, frame your shot and take a picture while being still takes a lot of breath skills. :eek:

As far as settings, I shoot on Program mode in shallow water with ISO200 and no flash. Up to about 15ft. you can eliminate the blue in the water with Photoshop if you get the underwater.atn action (works great but only with Photoshop not Photoshop Elements). I've tried my Canon "underwater" setting but found I had more of an issue getting rid of the extra red I didn't want than getting rid of the extra blue not using this setting. Below 15ft. I use a strobe with the camera in Manual setting (f5.0, 1/90, ISO200, minimal flash (my strobe triggers on flash)).

Good luck and happy shooting,

Randall

Randall,

Thanks for the info, I will have to try the camera settings. Know what you mean about getting close and being still last snorkel pics were better than first, hard to look though the view finder with a mask so hope the view screen will help there.

I have used Digital Pro 9 to take out some of the blueing on some pictures I took from a simi sub tour and work ok but will have to look into photoshop and this feature. Have wondered about the red effect, have seen some write ups on the camera and have not been able to get a good feeling about using the sea mode and zoom. Will most likely take my laptop with us and on the first trip do a little testing. Tring to memorize the menu so can change while under water and not have to get the reading glasses out.

Again Thanks :)

The Ump :cool:

John

Archived