San Juan Embarkation / Debarkation Problems

stones902

I have read several reviews that mentioned severe delays during embarkation / debarkation in San Juan. Most of those posts speculated that the delays were caused by some sort of luggage handlers / porters strike in the terminal. Does anyone have any firm information about this?

If there is a contractual problem between RCL and the luggage handlers, I would like to know what is being done to address the situation. Embarkation and debarkation under normal circumstances can be frustrating enough without extended delays due to labor problems.

I posted on another thread in regards to the "strikes" in Puerto Rico. As of right now, the only strike my wife can confirm pertains to water and it's availability. She has looked for information regarding strikes in other business elements but has yet to uncover anything. She said she will try to look over the weekend for some information on some of Puerto Rico's news sites.

Well my wife tried to look for any strikes in Puerto Rico besides the water works strike and has not found anything. As far as the water strike goes, well will you be staying in Puerto Rico or are you just flying in for a cruise? If you are just flying in, I would seriously doubt you have anything to be concerned with. If you are actually staying there, I would call ahead to your hotel to find out how they intend to handle any situation if water service is halted. Perhaps the hotel maintains a backup holding tank to sustain them between service interruptions. For the general public it has been somewhat of a nightmare though. Most people tend to buy the large jugs for drinking water but that won't help them when it comes to matters of hygiene. They tend to take showers whenever there is flowing water and stockpile it to flush the toilet, etc. She did read something that they hoped to have the strike resolved today but I am not sure if they have yet.

News reports state, "Nine days into the walkout at the Aqueduct and Sewer Authority and with no settlement in sight, a pledge of solidarity by the leaders of more than 50 labor unions is raising the specter of a general strike. The move could paralyze electricity, telephone service and transportation."

News reports state, "Nine days into the walkout at the Aqueduct and Sewer Authority and with no settlement in sight, a pledge of solidarity by the leaders of more than 50 labor unions is raising the specter of a general strike. The move could paralyze electricity, telephone service and transportation."

Well my wife usually talks to someone in her family on Sundays so maybe she can ask them if there is any update. But then again, they all live near Ponce. Perhaps the overall effect may be different there than it is in San Juan

Hello everyone:

There are no problems with the Water Authority strike. No other unions are planning to join the strike, and according with todays paper, the negotiations are improving. The strike with the luggage handlers was a one day thing, and is over. Hope you enjoy your visit to Puerto Rico, we will also have elections Nov 2, and some groups try to take advantage of that to make some deals.

Again, dont worry about the water problem, most hotels have tanks and you wont even notice if there is no water.

Thank you guys, really appreciate the quick info!

Water is one of those things that do concern me, I appreciate the update!

Dra, sounds like you live in PR??? Anything you would recomend not missing?

Thanks,

Liz

Glad to hear the the luggage problems seem to have been a one day thing. The most recent review sounded like a nightmare at least in terms of debarkation.

It will be interesting to hear from folks who are returning from the AOS today on their experience in the terminal building.

meggss,

You may want to call the Hilton just to confirm they are not having any issues and that they have procedures in place to handle any water shortage. Chances are things will be fine for your trip. Just remember to think positively:)

Archived