Day stop in SJ

genngee

I have never been on a cruise that stopped in San Juan as a daytime port of call (I always did the arrive at 3 stay till the wee hours stops)

What is there to do???

all the excursions Carnival seem to offer are for night or pre/post cruise

There are tons of things to do, depending on what you're interested in doing.

Visit one of the forts or some of the many museums

Tour the city with a self-guided walking tour or ride a Segway around the city

Challenge yourself with a zipline canopy tour, about 30 minutes south of San Juan

Go hike in the Rain Forest

This list for cruise ship visitors should give you some more ideas.

You're limited only by your time and your energy level.

Enjoy!

If this is your first time I would aim to spend it in Old San Juan.

The ship should dock at the OSJ piers and so you are close to everything.

You could walk up to San Cristobel fort or take the free trolley that goes past the fort. You can also take this trolley to the El Morro fort. After the forts you could check out the cathedral, one of the many squares or museums + numerous restaurants.

If it's a weekend the area down by the ship should be lively with local music and artistans, as well as the Paseo la Princesa promenade.

Take a look at my Puerto Rico Travel map just zoom in and out to see attractions and links to articles.

Have a great port of call

Hi, We visited San Juan last year in August. This was one of our BEST STOPS!! and we had no idea when we got here what we were going to do.

We got off the ship (Leisurely, I might add), and walked to the end of the pier and caught a tour bus- HAPPY TOURS.

There were about 15 of us (9 of us were together- age ranges from 27-75) and we had a BALL!!!

We toured the city, stopped at the beach, several photo opportunities, stopped at the congress hall where we went inside and took pictures of the beautiful, historical sites. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and FABULOUS!!

Puerto Rico was beautiful. After our tour was over approximately 2 hours later, our guide dropped us off at the shopping areas where there were many shops. We could then walk back to the ship, we had plenty of time to get back. We got off the ship at approximately noon and got back at about 3pm but we were close enough to stay out shopping until about 4 or 430. I think the ship was set to leave at 5 or 530pm.

I will try to post some pictures here of San Juan. Unforgettable!

Angela

2066396355_vacationcruise8112007113.jpg.64085ebb521eb55af8c46e173ac62368.jpg

466515825_vacationcruise8112007125.jpg.78a35a2b1736af0e0dfeb223a777c82a.jpg

557623595_vacationcruise8112007118.jpg.1dcae2c56767e64b7480064d7064b98e.jpg

Great info cause we did not know what we wanted to do in San Juan even though we've been there before. I'm going to give this info to my group and see what they think. Thanks

Challenge yourself with a zipline canopy tour, about 30 minutes south of San Juan

Enjoy!

We did a semi-walking tour. ;)

Walked up to the Visitors Center, got a map, caught the free trolley up to El Morro and spent a good bit of time exploring there, then walked back down through OSJ to La Bombanera for lunch (yum), then over to San Cristobal, although by then I didn't have the energy for another fort tour. Just took our time leisurely walking back to the pier and then through the duty free shops enjoying all the free samples.

I have to find another cruise that stops in San Juan for the day. Wanted to take a cruise from there so I could stay a couple of days pre and post-cruise, but airfare has just gotten too steep.

Enjoy!

The Puerto Rico day trips site was wonderful. Just what I was looking for! I printed the self guided walking tour pages. After reading more I was happy to find the article about the carriage ride tours through Old San Juan. Thanks for posting! Bridget

does anyone know what cruise lines offer day stops at San Juan. all I can find is evening. I stopped there with a friend from work but want want to go back with the family. Our day stop was due to a medical emergency the first night so we had an itenary change.

Carnival has a few but many are just evening stops. Check Triumph and the Pride, once she relocates to Miami. Glory will be moving to Miami once the Dream is finished and moves into Port Canaveral. She should stop in San Juan, too.

I just found a tour that our group may take. They do an ATV tour of the lower El Yunque rain forest. The name of the company is Hacienda Caribali. You can google them and get the info. They are also providing us transportation to/from rainforest. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
does anyone know what cruise lines offer day stops at San Juan. all I can find is evening. I stopped there with a friend from work but want want to go back with the family. Our day stop was due to a medical emergency the first night so we had an itenary change.

We are on a 14 day Holland America Cruise on Maasdam that stops in San Juan from 8am-11pm

• 1 year later...

Carnivals Liberty is a day stop in San Juan PR .

Trying to find stuff to do ,

cause the tour list for San Juan doesnt seem to impressive :(

thru Carnival at least .

Am Book marking this thread though

We did a Royal Caribbean cruise that left out of San Juan......we flew in 2 days early and spent 2 nights precruise. We were ALL OVER Old San Juan.....morning noon and night. We explored all the historic sights, had two wonderful dinners, went salsa dancing with the locals at a very cool salsa club, toured the forts, ate breakfast at La Bombonera (yum) and did some shopping. Old San Juan is very walkable...... beautiful architecture, parks and plazas galore..... we loved it.

We are taking a HAL cruise for Thanksgiving and will be stopping there for the day. I am sure it will not be near long enough for me !!!!

We take kites with us (or buy them by Fort El Morro if we forget) and spend a few hours flying them in the best place we have ever found for kite flying -- the grassy hills in front of For El Morro.

There are no obstructions, the sea is around three sides of the Fort and there is usually a perfect wind.

We pack extra spools of string and have had kites as high as 600'!!!

When we finish we pass the kites along to anyone who wants it.

Then we walk back to town, check out the shops and stop for some refreshment.

Photos in the link below (check Jewel of the Seas album for sure).

Have a great time whatever you do in San Juan.

Kathy:)

• 2 weeks later...

Going to San Juan with my mother. She has been there, years ago, and I have not. Mom is in a transport chair when we are off the ship. Will I be able to manuver the chair ? She doesn't weigh much, but some places (ST Thomas) have raised sidewalks, and rough traveling. I don't mind "driving" her, when and where I can. Any thoughts?

Texancruiser we are going on a HAL thanksgiving cruise too; are you on the Westerdam?

Going to San Juan with my mother. She has been there, years ago, and I have not. Mom is in a transport chair when we are off the ship. Will I be able to manuver the chair ? She doesn't weigh much, but some places (ST Thomas) have raised sidewalks, and rough traveling. I don't mind "driving" her, when and where I can. Any thoughts?

Texancruiser we are going on a HAL thanksgiving cruise too; are you on the Westerdam?

No....we are on Eurodam. Boy I gotta say San Juan is not "chair" friendly at all. Rough cobble streets, teenytiny sidewalks where there are sidewalks and don't really remember wheelchair ramps at corners either. You might want to consider a tour that would drive you around and allow you to see the sites.

Archived