Fed Ex for Luggage?

SPARKLE10

Hi:

I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with sending their luggage ahead of their cruise to their hotel with Fed Ex? We were thinking about it; but haven't checked into the price yet.

We've cruised over 40 times, but in two months, we'll be flying into Heathrow, London, for our first ever Med. cruise on the Independence of the Seas, leaving from Southampton.

We're really excited about this cruise, but we were deciding what to do with our luggage. I've read where a lot of luggage goes missing at Heathrow; even more than other airports.

I'm going to do some research on Fed Ex to see if they guarantee delivery and things like that. We've never shipped our luggage ahead before, but since we're staying one night before our cruise, we were thinking of having it shipped to our hotel.

Anyone done this and how did it turn out?:rolleyes:

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.;)

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

If you are shipping it from the US, don't be surprised if it costs almost as much as your airfare does. Other than that, and needing customs documents on it, you should be able to ship it to the hotel. I work for a similar company in Canada and we get tons of stuff going to hotels for guests.

I just did a quick quote on fedex.com for 3 40 pound suitcases from New York City to London England,and 4 day delivery was around $700. That was their cheap price.

Thanks...wow that was a lot of money. :confused: I hadn't checked fedex.com yet. Thanks for checking. We live in Des Moines, Iowa, so we would be checking it from here.

Hmmmm maybe we'll take the chance of Heathrow not losing our luggage afterall:rolleyes: ..

Thanks again.:p

Sparkle 10 (Anita)

Thanks...wow that was a lot of money. :confused: I hadn't checked fedex.com yet. Thanks for checking. We live in Des Moines, Iowa, so we would be checking it from here.

Hmmmm maybe we'll take the chance of Heathrow not losing our luggage afterall:rolleyes: ..

Thanks again.:p

Sparkle 10 (Anita)

I am in the international logistics business and I ship freight worldwide. The BEST price I can get from Des Moines to London (transport by air cargo via Frankfurt and transported ground to London) is $367.47 PER 50 pound BAG. It is an additional $37.81 per bag to ship to Southampton. So for about $800.00, you can get two bags to the UK. Again, 4 day service. FedEX from Des Moines was $407.30 per 50 bag (4 day service).

Using the Post Office, International Express Mail is $203.00 per 50 pound bag (5 day delivery) and International Priority with delivery confirmation is $163.88 (6-10 days).

You will have to box your luggage to ship via the Post Office, but U-Haul has an underbed box which can fit most suitcases.

IF you decide to ship, MAKE SURE the customs manifest states USED CLOTHES-PERSONAL POSSESSIONS-NOT FOR SALE. If documentation is NOT done properly, you would have to pay customs duties on your own clothes. Good luck!!!!

Archived