Has Anyone flown in Thailand with Air Asia?

Miss Jolly

• 2 weeks later...

I have also booked them Bangkok to Chiang Mai and while I haven't flown them in Thailand before, I have flown them a couple of times in Malaysia.

They are fine.....similar to Southwest or any of the US budget airlines. For such a short flight as long as they are reliable I'm not too worried!

Edited to add: Just saw you're in Australia so I would assume they'd be similar to your budget airlines there though I haven't flown any. I have just booked Sydney to Cairns on Jetstar and am now worrying due the less-than-favorable reviews they get. :0

I have checked with my friend who lives in Singapore and flies alot. She has said that many of her friends have flown frequently with them and has removed any of my concerns. We have our tickets now.

We are quite new to cruising, but have travelled quite a lot in the Far East. We have used Air Asia on quite a few times - 5 times this year alone. They are fine - just be aware that it is "free seating".

For those of us who live here the 'free seating' so kindly stated above is generally referred to as 'herding'. It's a time when Thai people forget to 'be nice' and makes for a very forgetable flying experience.

Nok Air - owned by THAI Airways - has allocated seating and is therefore preferred by many.

Your 3rd choice is One2Go, but in view of their safety record it's probably best to give them a miss.

• 2 weeks later...

So my question to those of you who've flown Air Asia would be... does it do you any good to pay the "advance seating" fare to avoid the whole free seating herd? I saw this as an option while looking into flights to Phuket from KL Malaysia and wondered why it was an option... now I know.

I have flown Air Asia. they are not allways on time so be careful if you have connecting flights. chilldren and seniors board first if you have grey hair you will be ok.most important is the baggage allowance its only 15 kilos carry on 7 kilos. so watch your weight in bags or it will cost you.

Thanks for the heads up. We will be flying from KL to Phuket in a few weeks and so no worries about connections. We bought luggage coupons for each of us (4 people) and will sort clothes evenly so as to hopefully avoid any extra fees. I did end up having to go to a travel agent to book the flights... who knows why their system wouldn't take my info...but we got the tickets anyhow.

I have a few grey hairs on the side, but not enough to get me on first so I will be sure to have a chill ill before we head out...

Thanks again

You will be flying out of the budget terminal its big if you want a snack there are plenty of outlets.there is a very good duty free shop and money changer in the departure lounge.its only a very short flight seating is not that important. i have been to phuket eight times. i was there last july after completing a long vacation. that included the summitt med cruise. cruise ships tender in two parts of the island depending on weather. if you would like more info about phuket.forward your email

TY grumphy... I would love more info on Phuket. We are looking at staying in the Holiday inn on Patong beach... but have not firmed that up just yet. I do know it is the "rainy season" but that doesn't mean total wipe out rains just yet (at least we hope so for the weeks we chose to go!) Please feel free to send me info.... mitchpamf@yahoo.com

Archived