snorkel vests???

cairascioci

Hi - We're new to snorkeling and have some questions about snorkel vests? What is the advantages/disadvantages between the 2 types of snorkel vests I have seen on line - snorkel vest (appear to go over head and manually inflated) vs. snorkel jackets (look more like a typical life jacket)? We're cruising in a couple of weeks and I would like to purchase something for the kids safety and comfort. I would like to keep costs moderate.

Thanks

Im thinking your describing inflatable vs more of a life jacket type snorkle vest correct?

Inflatable allows you to add and subtract air to aid in bouancy, for example if you just snorkling along surface you will want to have air in the vest so you can concentrate on the sites rather then floating but it gives you the advantage of dumping air if you want to dive down and take a close look. Inflatable also helps you if you get tired you add some air and float and can rest.

the life jacket style does not give you the option of altering your bouancy.

I have two 14 yr kids and I would opt for the vest you can add and subtract air from.

Thanks for the info - I'm thinking that the inflatable type would work best and also save packing space!

We have owned snorkel equipment for several years but added a couple of blowup vest last year. They take up very little space and come in handy if you want to swim a long distance. You can google and find some nice ones online for $25 to $50.

We also found that the snorkle vest (blow up type) rested a little lower or the mid-section. This allowed our kids to better keep their faces in the water and not fight against the life jacket holding their heads out of the water. We really love them and the kids don't mind them..

Archived