Spices bought in Villefranche

I bought this spice at the market in Villefranche and I just made the best chicken I have ever eaten with it. So I am wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere in the US or online to purchase this spice. I have tried the website printed on the label and searched the net with no success.:(

IMG_9217.jpg

Also to anyone who likes spicy food you should make it a point to buy this when you are in Villefrance, it is wonderful!

This is just a mix of different spices. I used the free translation and I believe this is what this is made of:

paprika, salt, soft hot pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic, strong hot pepper

I was not positive on the last ingredient if the word was fort. But that is what I used.

You may want to just try to experiment or look online for recipes. I believe the difference between the peppers is mild and hot.

We'll be in Villefranche in 2 wks. on a cruise port stop. I'll definitely look for it there or at market in Cannes. Love to have your chicken recipe !

We found this spice at the Saturday market in Villefranche. If you pick up a map in the building you come through when you tender (at the information desk) it will be on there.:) PS there is also a Boulangerie Patisserie by this market that has the most amazing pastries that you have ever seen or tasted but the people that run it do not speak english. We managed to get some goodies anyway. I posted a review of our trip on the Norwegian boards and there is an official one under the NCL Gem ship reviews.

We'll be in Villefranche in 2 wks. on a cruise port stop. I'll definitely look for it there or at market in Cannes. Love to have your chicken recipe !

LOL Forgot to tell you how I prepared the chicken.

I took a whole chicken, bought a "beer butt" style chicken rack (has a place to hold a can that slips into the chicken and the chicken cooks upright.

I put white wine and minced Garlic in the can (although I am not sure if this contributed at all to the flavor because most of it was still in the can after the chicken was cooked.

Sprinkled the cavity of the chicken with garlic salt.

rubbed the outside of the chicken with extra virgin olive oil.

sprinkled the chicken with some garlic salt

sprinkled the chicken with the melange poule making sure it was well coated.

Placed the chicken on the beer butt rack and put it in a roasting dish (there are different types of these racks and some already include a built in baking dish but mine didn't)

quarter some red or white potatoes and place in the pan, sprinkle them with garlic salt, pepper and a little of the melange poule.

I convection roasted mine in the oven, I suppose you can just bake it or even cook it on the grill. used a meat thermometer and the cooking direction on the chicken package for the time.

Added about a 1/3 cup or so of water to the pan when the chicken was about 3/4 of the way cooked. Made a nice gravy!

Served with an iceburg lettuce salad with goat cheese, pitted kalamata olives, croutons and red wine vinaigrette.

Ranks up there with one of the best meals I have ever made:D Keep in mind it will be spicy.

The lady at the Villefranche market (if the same one runs the stall every Saturday) was very nice and spoke fluent english.

Her stall is on the sidewalk and faces the street (her back is to the sea and the park and the patisserie would be to her distant right) I want to say but I am not sure that there is a produce stand immediately to her left. There are stalls all through the park.

I hope this helps you find the spice, I only wish we would have bought more because the herbs de provence we bought there are also fantastic and she also had other spices. I believe she also sold cheeses and maybe fresh olives but I don't think you can bring that stuff back:(

Archived