Why Cheaper Prices around January 18, 2009?

I noticed that cruise prices to the Caribbean around January 10-20, 2009 are cheaper than even a week before or after. Is there something going on that week that potential cruisers should know about? Is it a holiday in the Caribbean so stores and shops will be closed? Bad weather?

Thanks!

Scott

It's a post-holiday time that's a bit lighter in overall traffic. IMO it's a very good time to cruise too. Kids are all in school, no spring breakers, and it's still very nice weather in the Caribbean.

Our Serenade cruise (1-10-09) was still quite inexpensive until a business group booked up a huge chunk of cabins a few weeks ago.

All the college kids/offices, etc are back to work or school for the xmas/new years holiday and it is not Winter break time. You can find some great deals at that time of year. It is pretty good until mid Feb where it jumps dramatically again for President's week.

It's a post-holiday time that's a bit lighter in overall traffic. IMO it's a very good time to cruise too. Kids are all in school, no spring breakers, and it's still very nice weather in the Caribbean.

Our Serenade cruise (1-10-09) was still quite inexpensive until a business group booked up a huge chunk of cabins a few weeks ago.

Hi Darkwolfe,

Anyidea how large the group is. I know the subject came up on our roll call. I am just wonderng if it is a very large group. And if so, will it have any impact on the rest of the guests.

Annieeee

Hi Darkwolfe,

Anyidea how large the group is. I know the subject came up on our roll call. I am just wonderng if it is a very large group. And if so, will it have any impact on the rest of the guests.

Annieeee

We were on that same cruise last year and are booked again this year. There was a business group on last year, and you did not know there was anything going on, except for seeing some name tags, and people hanging around the conference rooms. If it is the same one, then you won't even notice them.

I don't think their booking had anything to do with the prices rising. They have steadily gone up since Feb this year. Our D1 is up $450 from when we booked in Jan. by March. This cruise also had the C&A coupons, which probably helped bookings fill faster,too. Last year this cruise was pricing about 200-300 lower than the following week, and now this year it is the opposite.

To the OP. It really depends on how each cruise is selling, as to how the prices differ. This is a great cruise no matter which weeks in Jan you take. Weather is perfect, you won't find it better. This will be our 3rd year on this itinerary and ship, and 2nd year in a row for 2nd week in Jan. 1st yr was last week of Jan.

Don't question the prices! :D We liked the prices too, so that's the week we picked for our wedding cruise so that it would be most affordable for our guests and it was the best week ever!! We had seven straight days of sunshine.

Laura

In Nov 2007 we booked a late January 7 night So. Carib on the Serenade for $799 pp for an E1 and got air for $250 RT pp from DFW to San Juan. It was a great time and a great deal!

If you do book, keep your eyes open for price drops!!!

I know there are never any guarantees - but is it usual to see price drops for sailings this time of year? We sail 1/8/09 and the last time I did a ghost booking there were still tons of cabins available - and in the higher categories too. I picked it because right after the holidays, and kids would be in school.

In Nov 2007 we booked a late January 7 night So. Carib on the Serenade for $799 pp for an E1 and got air for $250 RT pp from DFW to San Juan. It was a great time and a great deal!

If you do book, keep your eyes open for price drops!!!

Those dates are traditionally slow and the prices are usually quite a bargain. A few weeks later, when the kids get their school vacations, you will not a dramatic increase in prices. If your schedule allows you to cruise in mid-January, take advantage of the great prices.:)

Archived