Ecuador and Panama Hats

driftychick

Hello, hoping someone here can help us. We will be going to Ecuador in April of next year and hubby wants to purchase a genuine Panama Hat. Can anyone give us an idea of pricing and is it necessary to go to Montcristie (spelling?) or are they readily available in the Port City Marketplace? Thanks for your time.

There is much info about the different qualities of Panama hats online, and the reasons for the different prices. It is a fairly complex subject so you should probably read up a little so that you know which quality and price you are willing to pay for as there is quite a difference in price.

When we were in Manta in 06, there were plenty hats for sale in the closed market which was for cruise pax only. Mens and ladies, different styles, different colours, different prices.

And on this S America board, if you use SEARCH THIS FORUM with words such as Panama hat or Manta or whatever, all the previous posts with these words in them will appear in the results and you can read through them for lots of useful info.

Depends on what kind of Panama Hat.

I go to Montecristi occasionally and buy 100's of Panama Hats to import to the US. They are the cheap grade, fold up in your pocket kind, sold mostly to college students/river partiers. Readily available all over Montecristi for about $10.00 (Don't pay over $15.00 or you are getting rippped).

HOWEVER, if you want a made to fit, high quality, hand blocked Panama hat, you will be far better off ordering one in the US. Trying to get one custom made in Ecudaor can be a real problem with out a third party involved. The hat will be made to size and specs, then blocked. This takes time and you have to go back to get your hat (although it could be shipped, but I wouldn't without seeing the final product-hence the need for the third party)

The good quality hats are hand blocked. They are made with a very fine weave. And they are expensive. Brent Black has pretty well cornered the market for top quality hats out of Montecristi. He has corralled the best weavers to make hats exclusively for him. http://www.brentblack.com

IF you buy a hat in Montecristi, please be aware that if it is VERY white, it was not made in Montecristi. It was made in Cuenca. The hatmakers in Cuenca bleach their hats with peroxide to get them white. The hatmakers in Montecristi leave their hats more natural.

Outside the market (never knew it was just for cruise pax). When you are standing facing the end of the market (the entrance), turn left up the street. Across the street, about a block is a good quality hat maker. They have the BEST ladies hats. Not too many men's hats. But their lacy ladies hats are really, really nice. I buy in quantity, but still only pay $12.00 each. Single purchase, probably $20-25.00. Enjoy!!!!

greatam, thanks so much for your reply! I have seen you on these boards quite a bit and know you are truly a wealth of information! Hubby just has to have a hat, he loves them even more than I do. It is really the only thing he wants to bring back from our trip in April. He is doing his homework but it is nice to know that we have more than one option for his shopping.

edinburgher, your info also is very helpful. I just love these boards and the folks that post on them, a wealth of information just for the asking!

Thanks again to both of you.

Greatam, when you talk about going out of the market to look for the shop with the nice ladies hats, are you taking about the market at the port in Manta, or the market in Montecristi?

Montecristi

• 7 months later...

We were in Montecristi market in November and bought Panama hats that they folded up in a balsa-wood type box. When we got home they lost their shap and will need to have crowns re shaped. I have been looking online to see who could do that for us. They are a pretty fine weave so are probably worth doing it. The day we went to Montecristi there was a celebration in town so they took us to a covered market near a school where the venders were set up. We were on a ship tour and were only given 30 minutes to look for hats..I was wondering if greatam or anyone has an idea where we can get our hats remolded in US. Thanks !! Cruisy susy

Archived