Renting Jeeps in Cozumel

BrickCityMedic

Hi Everyone!

I have a question maybe some of you can help me out with. We will be going on a quick getaway at the end of August on the Inspiration....it will be our first cruise with CCL. Instead of doing an excursion, we were thinking about renting a Jeep at the pier and just driving around the island for the day.....have any of you done this and if so, what did you think? How much does it cost and what places should we see?

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions!!

I'm sailing on the Inspiration tomorrow and will be renting a Jeep on Tuesday. I should be able to give you a first hand opinion next weekend. However, a co-worker rented a jeep a couple of weeks ago and highly recommended it. The cost is about 65 dollars for the day. They just looped the island and stoped at beaches / bars that looked interesting. I plan on trying to see the ruins that are on Cozumel. You can book at the Budget website and save a couple of dollars.

My brother and I did it last Saturday!

I rented from Avis through their website, its was $51.00 with no insurance, $76 with insurance.

We docked at the International Pier, and the 'downtown' location for Avis is there.

Cozumel is very easy to drive around, basically one road circumnavigates the island. We took a left out of the parking area, drove past all the shopping area in San Miguel, took a right onto Benito Juarez Avenue, and that road takes you all the way to the other side of the island. You will pass the "PeePee Station" and the entrance to the San Gervaiso ruins on the way. We stopped at both. The road takes you past several bars/clubs on the Eastern shore, we stopped at El Galleon to eat and at Chen Rio to wade in the lagoon there. Then we drove on around the southern tip of the island and went to El Cedral, the oldest settlement on the island. On the road heading north back to the pier, we had our pick of beach clubs to stop at. I would have liked to have went to Punta Sur and saw the crocodiles and the lighthouse, but we wanted some 'beach time.' We ended up at Mr. Sancho's and enjoyed it very much.

When it was time to leave there, we just took a left out of the parking lot, went just a few miles, and there was the pier and car rental drop off place. There is even a gas station right before you get there.

My DH and I rented a jeep last Sept. in Cozumel from Budget at the Punta Langosta location, same price, and pretty much followed the same itinerary. I had ordered a detailed map of Cozumel from a link supplied by someone on here before we left. It was $8 and worth every penny!

That's perfect! Thank you so much for the information...I have a Garmin and was thinking about ordering an SD card for Mexico...put it in and just drive.

Is is pretty safe driving on the island or is it like other places where stop signs are merely a "suggestion"? Either way, it doesn't matter to me....I just want to be prepared!

Thanks again!!!

Is is pretty safe driving on the island or is it like other places where stop signs are merely a "suggestion"? Either way, it doesn't matter to me....I just want to be prepared!

Thanks again!!!

Cozumel is safe, but you do need to drive carefully, like if you make a mistake and have an accident, you are will likely go to jail if you don't have mexican car insurance.

Stop means stop, especially for tourists and be sure to wear your seat belt as it is the law there.

We have rented a jeep and really enjoyed it. We did not reserve ahead. There are lots of representatives at the pier. I would also add to allow enough time to refill. We cut it too close, due to long line. We were the last ones boarding.

Archived