Granduer of the Seas

Anyone been on her recently? I got a few questions.....

1. What etertainment? (comedians, magicians, juggler etc.)

2. How was the food?

3. Who is the current captain?, Is it Rob?

4. How was your cruise?

Iam sailing on her in 5 weeks from Norfolk and am curious.

Thanks,

Kevin

Did the repo in April from Tampa to Baltimore.

1) Don't know about the entertainment, didn't attend.

2) The food was fine as far as I'm concerned. That said, I wouldn't begin to say that you're going to like it. The first week of our cruise, while 3 of our table of 11 were fine with the steak, 1 guy sent his back two or three times before he was satisfied. He did the same with another meal later in the week when several of us ordered the same thing, all of us were fine while the one guy just couldn't be satisfied.

3) Can't help you with who the Captain is.

4) I loved my cruise, will be back onboard Grandeur in October for an 11 night repo, and I'm scheduled for a 14 night repo next November.

You can read my reviews of sailing Grandeur by clicking on the links in my sig.

Anyone been on her recently? I got a few questions.....

1. What etertainment? (comedians, magicians, juggler etc.)

2. How was the food?

3. Who is the current captain?, Is it Rob?

4. How was your cruise?

Iam sailing on her in 5 weeks from Norfolk and am curious.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey there, Kevin.

We sailed on her two years ago. We LOVE that ship! We'll actually be sailing on her again, in less than three weeks-- Yayeee! :D

1. Entertainment

I know when we were on her, there was a comedian a night or two. There were a variety of shows from the Grandeur singers and dancers. There may have been a magician, which we missed seeing. I'm not sure how often they change up their acts and entertainment that they offer, so things may be a little different from when we were on there the last time.

2. Food

Was fabulous IMO. Service was excellent as well.

3. Current Captain

I think right now, the current Captain is actually Jim Oleson, (who was on Empress Of The Seas last year), while Capt. Rob is on vacation. Now, by the time you sail in August, I'm not sure if Rob will be back or not. It seems like I saw a thread sometime back that he was leave for about 10 weeks. Who knows? He may be back on board when you sail.

4. How was your cruise?

Our cruise was AWESOME! Of course, it was our first cruise, and that one is always special.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's so easy going out of Norfolk, and it's awfully nice to have a nearby port to which we Virginians can drive to in a matter of a few hours.

Hope you have a GREAT time! We'll post our review, again, when we return.

Melinda

Hey there, Kevin.

We sailed on her two years ago. We LOVE that ship! We'll actually be sailing on her again, in less than three weeks-- Yayeee! :D

1. Entertainment

I know when we were on her, there was a comedian a night or two. There were a variety of shows from the Grandeur singers and dancers. There may have been a magician, which we missed seeing. I'm not sure how often they change up their acts and entertainment that they offer, so things may be a little different from when we were on there the last time.

2. Food

Was fabulous IMO. Service was excellent as well.

3. Current Captain

I think right now, the current Captain is actually Jim Oleson, (who was on Empress Of The Seas last year), while Capt. Rob is on vacation. Now, by the time you sail in August, I'm not sure if Rob will be back or not. It seems like I saw a thread sometime back that he was leave for about 10 weeks. Who knows? He may be back on board when you sail.

4. How was your cruise?

Our cruise was AWESOME! Of course, it was our first cruise, and that one is always special.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's so easy going out of Norfolk, and it's awfully nice to have a nearby port to which we Virginians can drive to in a matter of a few hours.

Hope you have a GREAT time! We'll post our review, again, when we return.

Melinda

I can't wait. This will be my first cruise out of Norfolk. It will be SO nice since I live 10 minutes from the port.

We did the June 21 Grandeur cruise from Norfolk to Bermuda. 5 days total. The crusie terminal in Norfolk is very easy to use and very passenger friendly. The biggest delay in boarding was getting past the embarkation photographers.

The ship was celan and the staff was excellent and friendly. The entertainment was OK. Had a juggler and comedian as well as the Broadway production shows. We've seen and and we've seen much worse.

We had food problems both in quality and preparation. Seafood seemed to be especially challenging for the kitchen during our cruise. Salmon was unrecognizable and inedible. There were several good entrees and the bread and pastries were very good.

Lunches in the dining room were better than in Windjammer. Two of our group preferred breakfast in dining room as well but most of us ate in WJ and it was good.

Can't remember the captain's name. We didn't really see much of him. The cruise director, Dan, was OK but we've had some who were much more visible to the passengers during the day and made you feel like you knew them by the end of the week.

Overall, it was a good cruise and we had a good time. I think the biggest disappointment to us as Diamond Plus members who have sailed with RCI many times and as I pointed out in another post, was the noticable decline in food quality and preparation. It was good in general but not up to past RCI standards.

I can't wait. This will be my first cruise out of Norfolk. It will be SO nice since I live 10 minutes from the port.

I agree...we will be on the Grandeur on Aug 21 for the 9 night cruise. I guess we will be boarding the same day you are coming home;) . We have never cruised from Norfolk either, and we are in Va Beach. Thelast two cruises we left from Miami, and Norfolk is so much closer:)

We're in Norfolk for a dance competition and we could see the ship from our hotel room. DD made me look up online to see which ship it was. She was so funny, as much as she loves dance, she said she'd leave it behind to go on a cruise! Little does she know in 2 weeks she'll be doing just that...we have a surprise cruise on Sovereign scheduled during the first week of her summer dance camp. I knew she wouldn't be happy to miss that, but now I know she'll be ok with it! lol We're still planning on surprising them, telling them we've just planned a family beach vacation and a trip to Kennedy Space Center, she'll be ticked until we pull into Port Canaveral.

We're in Norfolk for a dance competition and we could see the ship from our hotel room. DD made me look up online to see which ship it was. She was so funny, as much as she loves dance, she said she'd leave it behind to go on a cruise! Little does she know in 2 weeks she'll be doing just that...we have a surprise cruise on Sovereign scheduled during the first week of her summer dance camp. I knew she wouldn't be happy to miss that, but now I know she'll be ok with it! lol We're still planning on surprising them, telling them we've just planned a family beach vacation and a trip to Kennedy Space Center, she'll be ticked until we pull into Port Canaveral.

My wife and I have had a ball (no pun intended) dancing onboard Grandeur. There's usually a ballroom style dance quartet playing almost every night, and they even had a ballroom dance competition on each of the two weeks that we sailed in April. It was a blast.

Anyone have an update on Grandeur's plans for a CL?

Thanks.

Rick

There was word of conversation on the B2B that during the welcome back party, Captain Rob said they were going to put the CL in. I missed that part, guess the champagne and mimosas were taking up too much of my time.

Anyone have an update on Grandeur's plans for a CL?

Thanks.

Rick

Read where someone who had been aboard her recently was told that they would be converting the card room on deck 7 to a CL sometime in November. Hope so as we're taking a 10 day on her in Dec.......:D

We did the June 21 Grandeur cruise from Norfolk to Bermuda. 5 days total. The crusie terminal in Norfolk is very easy to use and very passenger friendly. The biggest delay in boarding was getting past the embarkation photographers.

The ship was celan and the staff was excellent and friendly. The entertainment was OK. Had a juggler and comedian as well as the Broadway production shows. We've seen and and we've seen much worse.

We had food problems both in quality and preparation. Seafood seemed to be especially challenging for the kitchen during our cruise. Salmon was unrecognizable and inedible. There were several good entrees and the bread and pastries were very good.

Lunches in the dining room were better than in Windjammer. Two of our group preferred breakfast in dining room as well but most of us ate in WJ and it was good.

Can't remember the captain's name. We didn't really see much of him. The cruise director, Dan, was OK but we've had some who were much more visible to the passengers during the day and made you feel like you knew them by the end of the week.

Overall, it was a good cruise and we had a good time. I think the biggest disappointment to us as Diamond Plus members who have sailed with RCI many times and as I pointed out in another post, was the noticable decline in food quality and preparation. It was good in general but not up to past RCI standards.

Is there a pool bar on the Grandeur? It doesn't show on the plan. I was on the Grandeur in 1997 and I remember one. It was kind of underneath Viking Crown.

Is there a pool bar on the Grandeur? It doesn't show on the plan. I was on the Grandeur in 1997 and I remember one. It was kind of underneath Viking Crown.

There are seperate bars at each pool.

Archived